The pains of finding wiper blades for the i3.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMK

The i3 uses a beam style wiper blade, with the OE part being manufactured by Bosch in Belgium. It appears to be based off a European market wiper blade, the AP750U. This would be a 29.5 inch blade here in the U.S.A. Many auto parts stores stock Bosch ICON wipers, which are very high quality, and quite comparable to the OE wipers. Unfortunately, this is where the fun begins. Bosch ICON wipers are available in up to 28 inch sizes. Most aftermarket parts catalogs list the i3 wipers as being 28-inch Driver, 21-inch Passenger (This is U.S.A. LHD spec). The passenger side wiper is indeed 21 inch on the OE part, but as I mentioned earlier, the stock driver wiper blade is about 29.5 inches. There are other types of beam style wipers that can be fitted (please, don't use the non beam style wipers with your i3), and I also tested the Trico Ultra which fits and wipes well too.

The problem is, the 28 inch wipers are just barely NOT long enough to wipe in front of the forward facing camera. The stock 750mm wipers do clear that area. If your i3 does not have the Technology Package (Adaptive Cruise Control), then don't worry about that, as the 28-inch wipers clear a plenty big enough sight area, and also cover the auto wiper sensor.

TL;DR, if your i3 doesn't have the technology package, you shouldn't have any troubles with the commonly available 28 inch wipers. If it does have the technology package, you'll need to get the OEM wipers that are long enough (Or, if you live somewhere where you can get Bosch AP750U wipers easy enough), else you may get a "camera obstructed" check control message, and your cruise control features will stop working.

Is this the right one on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-Aerotwin-Front-Windshield-AP750U/dp/B016TFWEEE

TheMK said:
... If your i3 does not have the Technology Package (Adaptive Cruise Control), then don't worry about that, as the 28-inch wipers clear a plenty big enough sight area, and also cover the auto wiper sensor. ...

Just a nit, but I think the auto-wipe sensing is done with a microphone listening for raindrops hitting the windshield. On the other hand, my i3 without the tech package does have a single optical sensor in front of the mirror. It could be for the wipers, and certainly is not for auto-dimming the headlights (not a function on the car), but could be needed for the auto-dimming of the mirror so as to not dim during the day.

Regarding the windshield rain sensor... it's optical, based on the IR light reflective properties of the windshield - which change when water is on the exterior surface of the glass.

Just got a wrong set of wiper blades for my Tera World with the Technology Package... they shipped the Bosch A103S with 28" and 21". I ordered the BMW part number (without the hyphens) - the 61612410957... but it's not right. Now they want me to take a picture of my factory wiper blades next to what they sent me.

I'm beginning to understand why BMW wanted to charge me $120 to replace them when I had my car in for warranty service... but it still doesn't make it right.

We'll see how good this "xxEuropean Auto Parts" dealer is.... hopefully I'll report back with good news, and maybe I'll find them worthy of my repeat business.

Well, my new wiper blades are good!

It's odd that the Bosch package calls them 700mm & 530mm, but the actual rubber insert was indeed a full 750mm (29.5"). Maybe Bosch decided their original "Aerotwin A 103 S" wasn't what was needed, and just lengthened the drivers' side blade without making new packaging.

Thanks RMEuropean !

Search for "Bosch Aerotwin A103S" but this dealer sells them under the BMW part number without hyphens: search for 61612410957 https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/PartNumberSearch.aspx?pnsearch=61612410957

Costco sells bosch wiper blades and they fit fine. I believe installed 28 inch on driver and 19 on passenger.

The 28 inch wiper blade after a year or so do not slide very well because its just too long!

Going to try 26inch wiper blade.

ps- dont trust BMW ACC on a perfect day after a bug triggered collision warning! And another day, just rain.

what about tailgate back wiper?

Not hard to find. It's the same wiper blade that fits the MINI Cooper rear hatch 2004 - 2013

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mini-cooper-wiper-blade-rear-r-10a?ads_cmpid=352579159&ads_adid=22978218439&ads_matchtype=&ads_network=g&ads_creative=85229817079&utm_term=&ads_targetid=pla-41498576716&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&ttv=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIueWIjbGd4gIVXJ7ACh08GAztEAQYAyABEgIBwfD_BwE

ronbot said:
Well, my new wiper blades are good!

It's odd that the Bosch package calls them 700mm & 530mm, but the actual rubber insert was indeed a full 750mm (29.5"). Maybe Bosch decided their original "Aerotwin A 103 S" wasn't what was needed, and just lengthened the drivers' side blade without making new packaging.

Thanks RMEuropean !

Search for "Bosch Aerotwin A103S" but this dealer sells them under the BMW part number without hyphens: search for 61612410957 https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/PartNumberSearch.aspx?pnsearch=61612410957

This is cool. Though the price just annoys me...

MKH said:
what about tailgate back wiper?

Not hard to find. It's the same wiper blade that fits the MINI Cooper rear hatch 2004 - 2013

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mini-cooper-wiper-blade-rear-r-10a?ads_cmpid=352579159&ads_adid=22978218439&ads_matchtype=&ads_network=g&ads_creative=85229817079&utm_term=&ads_targetid=pla-41498576716&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&ttv=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIueWIjbGd4gIVXJ7ACh08GAztEAQYAyABEgIBwfD_BwE

That is not the rear hatch wiper. Valeo R-10D Cooper, i3. Might be right for the cooper but not the i3.
Here are the real wipers,
Front Windshield Wiper Blade Set - Bosch 3397014117, https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Windshield-Wiper-Blade-BS3397014117/dp/B016HPI4UY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Windshield+Wiper+Blade+Set+-+Bosch+3397014117&qid=1633712995&sr=8-3

Rear wiper Bosch Rear Wiper Blade H840 /3397004802 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031GUR6C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

TheMK said:
The i3 uses a beam style wiper blade, with the OE part being manufactured by Bosch in Belgium. It appears to be based off a European market wiper blade, the AP750U. This would be a 29.5 inch blade here in the U.S.A. Many auto parts stores stock Bosch ICON wipers, which are very high quality, and quite comparable to the OE wipers. Unfortunately, this is where the fun begins. Bosch ICON wipers are available in up to 28 inch sizes. Most aftermarket parts catalogs list the i3 wipers as being 28-inch Driver, 21-inch Passenger (This is U.S.A. LHD spec). The passenger side wiper is indeed 21 inch on the OE part, but as I mentioned earlier, the stock driver wiper blade is about 29.5 inches. There are other types of beam style wipers that can be fitted (please, don't use the non beam style wipers with your i3), and I also tested the Trico Ultra which fits and wipes well too.

The problem is, the 28 inch wipers are just barely NOT long enough to wipe in front of the forward facing camera. The stock 750mm wipers do clear that area. If your i3 does not have the Technology Package (Adaptive Cruise Control), then don't worry about that, as the 28-inch wipers clear a plenty big enough sight area, and also cover the auto wiper sensor.

TL;DR, if your i3 doesn't have the technology package, you shouldn't have any troubles with the commonly available 28 inch wipers. If it does have the technology package, you'll need to get the OEM wipers that are long enough (Or, if you live somewhere where you can get Bosch AP750U wipers easy enough), else you may get a "camera obstructed" check control message, and your cruise control features will stop working.

Are you saying the standard wipers that come with an i3 that has a tech package aren't the right ones?

i3Houston said:
Costco sells bosch wiper blades and they fit fine. I believe installed 28 inch on driver and 19 on passenger.

The 28 inch wiper blade after a year or so do not slide very well because its just too long!

Going to try 26inch wiper blade.

ps- dont trust BMW ACC on a perfect day after a bug triggered collision warning! And another day, just rain.

I wholeheartedly agree about the ACC....it's terrible on this car. I was so looking forward to having it as my previous i3's didn't. My newly purchased 2018 i3s has the tech package an ACC and man...what a disappointment. It's pretty much only good for highway stuff. On surface streets it's jumpy, brakes too aggressively, does weird stuff on its own such as suddenly braking for no reason (when no one is every around). I've little to no confidence in it around town.

This is interesting, I replaced my wipers several years ago with a 28" and a 21" and haven't come across any issues that I can attribute to the shorter driver's side wiper. I looked at the trace on the windshield and the wiper covers everything except a small area of the upper left corner of the ACC window (looking at windshield from front). My biggest issue with the ACC was commuting east in the morning and west in the evening which did cause frustrations, the worst possible type of commute for this system.

Needed some new blades for my 2017 Panda with ACC. Recalling reading this thread with all the confusion of 28” vs 28.5”… So I decided not to mess around and get OEM.

These are probably in stock at your local BMW dealer for $73.57. Rear blade retails for about $16

Here’s my favorite OEM online parts store for $51.50 here. Not an outstanding price, although I am only want to replace them once!
https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/oem-parts/bmw-wiper-blade-61612410957?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9d2lwZXJzJmw9MiZuPVNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRzJmE9Ym13Jm89aTMmeT0yMDE3JnQ9cmFuZ2UtZXh0ZW5kZXImZT0wLTZsLWwyLWVsZWN0cmljLWdhcw%3D%3D

Amazon also sells OEM blades $50.49, which is where I got mine.
BMW 61612410957 Front Wiper Blade Set for i01 i3 https://a.co/d/c9PtaZo

Back