We have met the enemy and he is us

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Careless EV drivers can also break the public chargers they need by abusing the J1772 and cable. For example, a new, free, dual, 80A, L2 charger lost one side due to a "diode error."

This is a Tesla class, EVSE. But it had been installed without J1772 holsters to keep them off the ground and out of the rain. They were soon found but now one side now reports, "DIODE ERROR." So I bought the most recent copy of SAE standard, "SURFACE VEHICLE STANDARD J1772™ OCT2017."

EVSE_diode_010.jpg

EVSE_diode_020.jpg

Bob Wilson

I think the current public charger system will always be problematic with this stuff without making changes. Many are in unsecured locations where they can be vandalized, blocked, or abused. They are installed like payphones in that sense, relying on a public honor system to not destroy them, but how many times before they disappeared completely have many of us found payphones that were neglected or intentionally damaged?

It just doesn't work well.

This is why I believe the public charging model needs to move aggressively toward locations that are staffed all day like most urban gas stations and convenience stores, and where chargers don't stop billing until the cord is placed securely back in the holder unless a verifiable issue such as being locked into the port of the car can be accounted for.

Honestly, I bought my i3 REx with that assumption about public chargers already in mind. I don't need them, and I refuse to count on them in the current culture because the 'house will always win' on that eventually with leaving one stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Back