Chargemaster or Podpoint home charger in the UK

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydazzler

Hello,

This is my first post, so go easy please...

I'm going to take delivery of a BMW i3, and looking into home charging solutions. Looking at a 7KW tethered charger.

I've narrowed it down to 2 companies - Pod Point and Chargemaster. I have been in discussions with both, of which they have outlined the benefits of going with each of them...

Just wondering which company is the one to go for really? Both come in at a similar price, although the pod point unit has more "smart" connectivity and apparently can be connected directly to my meter with its own fuse box instead of running to my house's consumer unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks, Yes Rolec were on the list in the beginning, but Chargemaster and Pod point are the ones who can do my installation before Xmas and therefore its a straight choice between these two...

bobbydazzler, that’s fair. I had the same issue - they could only install 2 weeks after I had my i3. So just used 3 pin for 2 weeks which was fine, took about 10 hours to charge. I had to buy a very heavy duty 20m extension lead to cope as a “normal” domestic one kept tripping / overheating.

Not sure where in the country you are ? By the name - Liverpool ? :D

If you can get to me in Hampshire, you are welcome to borrow the extension (and 3 pin lead if you don’t get one with the car) as I don’t need it.

I did little research on Rolec, other that the guy who has one at the BMW dealer recommended it plus, more importantly, a Finnish company where I work (the Fins know all about this 1.5 million houses out of 2 million have home charging) runs a EV charge point installation for businesses / corporates - he uses Rolec. Boom !

Cheers, Finchie

Thanks Finchie, it sounds like you work for Rolec! :lol:

But seriously, I just want some opinions on both of these systems - The choice is doing my head in!

FWIW, unless you add things like WiFi or on-line access to timing or other features, a basic EVSE is pretty simple device. They really shouldn't cost what they do. The power cord and plug are probably the biggest portion of the cost, followed by probably the case and power contactor. The logic board isn't all that sophisticated.

Probably a bit late but hey...

I went with Rolec for my i3s charger. They were very informative and helpful which was handy as I'd had ICE for the last 40 years. They were also very flexible in that I needed a 10m cable (standard is 5m)- no problem. I think the cost was about £200 after the HMRC Grant which I made up in 3 months based on the significant BIK savings I was making compared to my previous 2l turbo C Class Merc. Can't wait for 20/21 tax year when the BIK goes to 2%.

Back