Help decide between 2014 vs 2016 Used i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. We ended up purchasing 2016. Other than the wood trim, it has everything we want and is almost like brand new.

Very happy with the car so far. You really notice how smooth everything is. Very pleasant place to spend your time in.

Hi all- I'm in the same position right know and am looking at getting a CPO 2016 Rex. I'm glad a few of you pointed out the technology package as I've been able to find a few local '16 Rex's with about 16k mileage and the Tech Package for $19 - $20k. I've admired the car for a few years now and am ready to take the leap. I live in So Cal where the charging infrastructure is pretty good and the weather is, of course, optimal. Thanks for all your help!

The warranty transfers with the car. Maintenance does not. There's a $700 fee for that from my local dealers. The answer is easy luckily. Get the 2016. The discount off a 2014 model isn't worth what you're missing from lower mileage of the newer car and the fact that it's a newer car. Check to make sure the 2014 even has the Level 3 charging option which was optional back then. The 2016 will have it standard.

I've seen 2014's for $11,500 so don't get so excited about the $15k price tag you found. The 2016 for $2k more is definitely worth it. If you've narrowed it down to those two cars, the 2016 is the one to get. No doubt.

I've been searching for an i3 with Rex for 4-5 months. There is a 2014 with ~88,000 miles in Colorado. It's got fast DC charging. What are the big concerns except for the miles? (and no basic warranaty). They are asking $11,500.
I've also found a 2016 with ~52,000 miles (so no basic warranty). They nare asking $16,680.
I live in Iowa, so I have to factor in shipping. (and, I have to ask about dealer documentation fees. Some dealers have fees that are more than $1000.)
Does anyone think BMW will offer battery upgrade for older i3? Thanks.

Back