Tire pressure sticker missing?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinc

I got the low tire pressure warning a couple of days ago. Nonchalantly, I went to the gas station to put some air and, to my surprise, the sticker with the recommended tire pressure that my old '15 i3 (and almost every other car) had on the side of the driver's door, is nowhere to be found on my current '14.

Is my car a fluke? Is it missing from all the i3's from this year? My Carfax does not show any accidents, so I choose to believe that the door was not replaced...

Any thoughts?

Our 2014 BEV manufactured on 1 August 2014 has the tire inflation pressure sticker in the usual driver's door jamb location.

Thanks! I guess somebody had a bad day in Germany back in 2014. I might have to just put a piece of duct tape and write it with a sharpie :D

vinc said:
I got the low tire pressure warning a couple of days ago. Nonchalantly, I went to the gas station to put some air and, to my surprise, the sticker with the recommended tire pressure that my old '15 i3 (and almost every other car) had on the side of the driver's door, is nowhere to be found on my current '14.

Is my car a fluke? Is it missing from all the i3's from this year? My Carfax does not show any accidents, so I choose to believe that the door was not replaced...

Any thoughts?

Think you got a knockoff! :p :D

vinc said:
Thanks! I guess somebody had a bad day in Germany back in 2014. I might have to just put a piece of duct tape and write it with a sharpie :D

Bad day at the dealer too.

The stickers were supposed to be checked during the pre-delivery inspection.

My Carfax does not show any accidents, so I choose to believe that the door was not replaced...

Reporting of accidents/repairs to Carfax where the car wasn't totaled and sold as salvage is not reliable. Our Jeep Cherokee was T-boned by a red-light runner, $8K in damage/repairs. Our daughter's Saturn was rear-ended by a drunk driver - $6K in repairs. Before we sold our daughter's car a few years later, I bought a Carfax 3-pack, to see what came up on her car, then for grins, checked our Cherokee as well. Both had totally clean Carfax reports, with no mention of any accidents/repairs.

Yeah, it is very strange. I cannot see any sign of it being removed. It just was never there.

Scary that big repairs might go unreported by carfax. I am hoping that, since the i3 is body on frame carbon fiber, an accident significant enough to require replacing the side of the car would have pretty much just totaled it. It is not like a regular steel car, where they can weld whatever chunks need replacing , straighten the frame and then paint over. Plus there are no odd gaps or mismatched paint. Just the missing sticker...

My sticker is on the inside edge of the rear passenger door - so if the car was hit on the side, just damaging the door, and that was replaced - might account for the missing sticker.

IMG_0333.jpg

Your local BMW Dealer should be able to order you one. Just ask them for a "tire pressure label" for your car/wheels. $5 to $7.

That black sticker, at least, is in Polish (and looks factory). Can't make out the other one. Wonder if the door was shipped over from the EU to replace a damaged one???

The yellow one says "Important! For speeds above 100 mph, please refer to the Owner's Manual for recommended tire inflation pressures." In English and French.

Which makes no sense whatsoever... It also looks factory, at the bottom it says BMW with a code.

Perhaps some guy in Germany put the wrong set of stickers on the car, and some other guy doing the pre-delivery inspection at the dealer just saw that there were stickers and called it good?

I am the second owner, and the car came from a lease, with a seemingly well documented track record. If there was some repair done that involved replacing the door, nothing else looks amiss...

Yeah, either wrong stickers at the factory, or a EU destined car switched last-minute to fill North American orders. If it was a new door from parts, likely would have no stickers at all.

Do you have the EU Regulation folding red emergency road triangle fastened on the inside of the rear hatch?

View attachment Triangel.jpg

Nope, the rear hatch is the same as my previous '15.

I will look around to see if anything else seems off...

BMW are suppose to remove any stray first aid kits and triangles at the port. They aren't legal in the US.

Of course those door stickers aren't legal either. Car should not have made it through like that. Possibly a just-in-time fault.

I've toured a couple of BMW assembly lines. THe parts are sequenced in trays to match the cars coming down the line. Maybe some parts got out of order. ??

I need to give my UK spec. car a through look over. Car should have UK/EU stickers.

AndrewDebbie said:
BMW are suppose to remove any stray first aid kits and triangles at the port. They aren't legal in the US.
Why would a first aid kit and triangle be illegal in the U.S? That seems senseless (not that there are no other examples of senseless laws).

It seems more likely that these things are required in some European countries (e.g., Sweden requires an emergency triangle but not first aid kit in all cars) but not in any U.S. state, so car manufacturers don't include them where they're not required to reduce their costs.

I picked up my first BMW in Munich, and it had the triangle and first aid kit. The guy doing the new car delivery spiel told me to take them out and carry them home in my luggage if I wanted them, or they'd disappear. Those two things are required in Germany, and should be in all cars, IMHO.

alohart said:
Why would a first aid kit and triangle be illegal in the U.S? That seems senseless (not that there are no other examples of senseless laws).

It seems more likely that these things are required in some European countries (e.g., Sweden requires an emergency triangle but not first aid kit in all cars) but not in any U.S. state, so car manufacturers don't include them where they're not required to reduce their costs.

The first aid kit contains contents not approved in the US. BMW might also have concerns about lawsuits.

It is a real first aid kit. There aren't any band aids in there.

Our UK spec i3 came with both even though they are not required here. I'll post photos. The car didn't come with warnvests, which are required in France and perhaps Austria. Local BMW dealer sells them but there are cheaper alternatives.

We hand carried the kit, triangle and front license plate from our European delivery X3 back to Atlanta. We were told that was that was the only sure way to keep them.

Back