Switzerland

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swissmot

Picked up my car at the dealer today. Never sat in an i3 before. Only touch point with electric cars was a brief ride in a Tesla Roadster 2 years back.

My car was the 2nd i3 delivery at my dealer; 1st was a REx delivered an hour earlier, so I guess we are amongst the earliest within Switzerland.

Very first ride right from the dealer was planned to be 110km. I came home in the end with 143km on the trip computer and a remaining range of 7km (12.9kWh/100km Energy Consumption). Impressed with the car and very positively surprised with the range I was able to get out.

Only downside so far is a displayed charging time of 14h on the regular cable. Given I came in at midnight, this means only 2pm tomorrow I have a fully charged car again. I was prepared for a more reasonably 8-10h charging time. I have changed the charging settings in the car from reduced to max, but that did not make a difference.

Otherwise, superb first experience, certainly exceeding my expectations.

1stTripDisplay.JPG

1stTripData.JPG

ChargeTime.PNG

First 1'000 miles (1'600km) on my car after 2 weeks, all on electricity. Not much choice in the end, it's a BEV.

Will take the car to go skiing this weekend, or at least try ... :cool:

That's impressive results, I see temp was 4.5 but I can imagine that the temperature was below this and you probably had uphill travel.

swissmot said:
Picked up my car at the dealer today. Never sat in an i3 before. Only touch point with electric cars was a brief ride in a Tesla Roadster 2 years back.

My car was the 2nd i3 delivery at my dealer; 1st was a REx delivered an hour earlier, so I guess we are amongst the earliest within Switzerland.

Very first ride right from the dealer was planned to be 110km. I came home in the end with 143km on the trip computer and a remaining range of 7km (12.9kWh/100km Energy Consumption). Impressed with the car and very positively surprised with the range I was able to get out.

Only downside so far is a displayed charging time of 14h on the regular cable. Given I came in at midnight, this means only 2pm tomorrow I have a fully charged car again. I was prepared for a more reasonably 8-10h charging time. I have changed the charging settings in the car from reduced to max, but that did not make a difference.

Otherwise, superb first experience, certainly exceeding my expectations.

1stTripDisplay.JPG

1stTripData.JPG

ChargeTime.PNG

I've been looking for you! I've been here in Switzerland all week for the Geneva Motor Show but haven' seen an i3 yet (other then on the show floor) I did talk with a Zoe owner today though. After Geneva I went to Weesen for a couple days and now I'm in Zurich till Sunday. You don't happen to be near Zurich are you? ;)

swissmot said:
Impressed with the car and very positively surprised with the range I was able to get out.

I'll say! For 143km at 12.9 kWh/100km means 18.4kWh used (143/100*12.9). Which is quite close to the 18.8 kWh that BMW claims are available for use. Not sure how they get 7km left on the guess-o-meter however, if there's really only 18.8 kWh.

The other amazing number is 12.9 kWh/100km (4.8 miles/kWh), which is 40% better than the 18kWh/100km (3.5 miles/kWh) I get in the ActiveE when I'm trying hard to be good in the winter! That is some serious efficiency, unless you drove 143km down hill the whole way!

Keep sending reports, this is the first range report on a BEV that we've seen. All the others have been Rex (I think).

BTW, do you have a heat-pump?

--Woof!

woof said:
Not sure how they get 7km left on the guess-o-meter however, if there's really only 18.8 kWh.

Quite impressive indeed!!

Though official technical specifications say 18.8 kWh out of a total capacity of 22 kWh, the remaining 8% (see iRemote print screen) may suggest that the real actual usable battery capacity could be 19.9 kWh.

TomMoloughney said:
I've been looking for you! I've been here in Switzerland all week for the Geneva Motor Show but haven' seen an i3 yet (other then on the show floor) I did talk with a Zoe owner today though. After Geneva I went to Weesen for a couple days and now I'm in Zurich till Sunday. You don't happen to be near Zurich are you? ;)

Tom, I am Zurich based. Send me a pm with your number in case you're still around.

Was skiing this Sun with the i3. Fitted my snow board and a pair of 1.70m skis with one of the 2 rear sets in flat position. Draw quite some attention from the SUV and Audi 4x4 crowd. To be fair, I did make a 20' charge stop at a BMW i Dealer along the way as the entire journey (roundtrip) was 270km.

woof said:
I'll say! For 143km at 12.9 kWh/100km means 18.4kWh used (143/100*12.9). Which is quite close to the 18.8 kWh that BMW claims are available for use. Not sure how they get 7km left on the guess-o-meter however, if there's really only 18.8 kWh.

The other amazing number is 12.9 kWh/100km (4.8 miles/kWh), which is 40% better than the 18kWh/100km (3.5 miles/kWh) I get in the ActiveE when I'm trying hard to be good in the winter! That is some serious efficiency, unless you drove 143km down hill the whole way!

Keep sending reports, this is the first range report on a BEV that we've seen. All the others have been Rex (I think).

BTW, do you have a heat-pump?

--Woof!

Car has heat pump fitted, but frankly we only occasionally used the seat heating. Had the Harman Kardon on blast to keep us warm. Was a round-trip with limited altitude to cover. A good third motorway (at 90 km/h), otherwise careful city and overland driving, with an intermittent 30km fun race on a twisted road along a lake.

After having clocked 2'500km now, I count on a 140km range at temps of 5-10° C. Driving typically EcoPro+ with intermittent seat warming, and motorway max of 90 km/h. Speed seems to be killer number one for range by some margin with heating coming second.

Back