The spam here is insane!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMK

The CAPTCHA must no longer be working right, either that or the registration system got compromised. There is just way too much spam on this forum. I ignored it at first, but they generated about 4-5 pages of garbage threads, burying the important ones. Someone needs to address the issue.

BTW, who is responsible for moderation/administration of this forum? I've never really managed to figure that one out.

Working on it now!
After spam is all gone, I'll be looking into adding more anti-spam stuff in the next couple days.

I am responsible for this forum .... :)

admin said:
Working on it now!
After spam is all gone, I'll be looking into adding more anti-spam stuff in the next couple days.

Got get em Tiger!

admin said:
Working on it now!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Yeah... I saw all of that spam yesterday on this site... many postings made in Chinese... I used google translate to see what they were selling. It turns out, they were offering counterfeit us documents... No Bueno... :eek:

Hey everyone,

If you tried to access the forum this morning, it wouldn't have worked!

I had to take the forum down to upgrade it, so the good news is that now we're running the latest and greatest anti-spam software that uses the StopForumSpam database.

Thanks Tom (moderator) for all the spam deleting you've been doing, I hope this will make your job easier.

admin said:
I had to take the forum down to upgrade it, so the good news is that now we're running the latest and greatest anti-spam software that uses the StopForumSpam database.
Unfortunately, the StopForumSpam database has failed to stop the recent spammer. About 950 spam messages at this time with apparently more being posted as I write this :( . I hope you figure out a way to stop this.

Thanks - yes, it'll take a bit of tweaking the settings etc.

For example, the one spammer only had a rating of '3' in the database, and by default, the setting I had was '5' so they weren't blocked automatically. (now I've lowered the setting to '3')

admin said:
Thanks - yes, it'll take a bit of tweaking the settings etc.
Hundreds of new spam messages are again being posted. They seem to start at ~3:15 pm Hawaii Aleutian Standard Time daily.

Ok, upped the mark required to pass the anti-spammer test, and also added recaptcha to the registration page.

We'll get 'em eventually!

Another day of hundreds of spam posts :( This is making finding valid new posts difficult.

The admin doesn't seem capable of stopping this which is discouraging me from continuing to participate in this forum. I don't want to continue participating in the i3 Facebook group due to Facebook's unacceptable behaviors.

I'm interested in discussions of i3 problems and modifications but not so interested in "social" posts. I also want a forum with a good search capability. Is there another i3 forum that you feel is worth joining?

Dont know of another i3 forum.

Life is better without FB. Used to like FB before they went public.

i3Houston said:
Dont know of another i3 forum.

Life is better without FB. Used to like FB before they went public.

This is a very informative forum and it is a shame that spammers are here. Although, I was looking at getting a diploma from the University of Mars :)

Perhaps a fee based forum would help weed out the spammers. I am not talking about a lot, maybe a dollar or something small that would make them go spam elsewhere???

There's an i3 "subreddit" on Reddit: http://reddit.com/bmwi3

It's not as active as here, but it gets a few posts a day.

Spam messages are flooding in again while the spam messages from yesterday remain. I reported one of the spam messages yesterday which should have sent a message to the admin, but nothing has been done. The admin must not be paying attention and must not care much.

Back