Shattered Tailgate

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My i3 tailgate glass just shattered tonight when closing hatch. Not the window but the glass below that covering the taillights. Getting it towed to dealership tonight will be interesting to see what they say.
Just closed it like normal but it was very cold out.

If the dealership won't replace under warrantee (likely not, as it is classed as an external "body panel" which is typically not covered) , check with your car insurance - other owners have had this issue, and their auto coverage payed for the repair ($2,000 to $3,000).

Hi I’m in the uk and have just had the same issue happen to me, left my i3 in the car park at 7:30 am went to my office, returned to my car at 5:00 pm and the rear tailgate glass was shattered, its a private car park single bays the car did not move all day ! I took the car to my local BMW dealer they have investigated and have advised that this is not a component failure, what!! It clearly is a design failure, I will post updates as I progress this claim, I will post pictures shortly.

Lingosl said:
left my i3 in the car park at 7:30 am went to my office, returned to my car at 5:00 pm and the rear tailgate glass was shattered, its a private car park single bays the car did not move all day !
Might another vehicle have collided with the tailgate while your car was parked?

left my i3 in the car park at 7:30 am went to my office, returned to my car at 5:00 pm and the rear tailgate glass was shattered, its a private car park single bays the car did not move all day !

A small rock kicked up by a tire? One local owner, same thing, car parked in private apartment complex lot, broken tailgate glass overnight. Security video showed another car pulling out right when the tailgate shattered, and they found a thumbnail sized rock in the glass fragments on the pavement. Neighbor had the front glass door on their house shattered by a lawn mower kicking up a rock from 30 feet away.

Wow, impressive, and the cost wasn't terrible.

Spiffy temporary tape-up you did there, too.

Back