Custom License Plate - Wife Very Angry - Need Advice

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3L3CTRICK

I got a custom plate and my wife is rather angry. She says it's "white trash" and embarrassing and completely inappropriate :shock:

I am VERY concerned about climate change, what we are doing to our planet and while this plate may generate some reactions my intent was to really get people to start thinking about how important it is to take every action to mitigate our carbon footprint.

I was hoping to get some feedback. Please feel free to give me your thoughts. My wife is VERY upset and is on the verge of having a custom bumper sticker made that says something like "My Idiot Husband is Responsible For This Custom License Plate"

F-GAS.jpg

3L3CTRICK said:
I got a custom plate and my wife is rather angry. She says it's "white trash" and embarrassing and completely inappropriate :shock:

I am VERY concerned about climate change, what we are doing to our planet and while this plate may generate some reactions my intent was to really get people to start thinking about how important it is to take every action to mitigate our carbon footprint.

I was hoping to get some feedback. Please feel free to give me your thoughts. My wife is VERY upset and is on the verge of having a custom bumper sticker made that says something like "My Idiot Husband is Responsible For This Custom License Plate"

F-GASs.jpg

hahahaha, I personally like the plate. It is offensive but so is the rampant noise, pollution, environmental impact of gas/diesel. I enjoy sporty vehicles that are gas based but for daily commuting gas is the worst.

That being said, my situation is not one in which my significant other cares about my plate. :p

I am considering something like ZZZT. I like the dual tone of your i3!

My DW will not let me put this new custom license plate frame on the i3:

20190508213018-b39677b1.png

There was a thread somewhere that joked about creating a Facebook profile named OPEC LOL. Someone already has that custom plate in New York State, but LOL OPEC was still available as of a few days ago. BYE OPEC and CRY OPEC are other options to convey the same message in 8 characters, without using the DW-angering vulgarity.....

I find it a bit disingenuous that your customized plate is on a car with a gasoline-powered generator even though it uses less gasoline than most ICE cars when the REx isn't running.

alohart said:
I find it a bit disingenuous that your customized plate is on a car with a gasoline-powered generator even though it uses less gasoline than most ICE cars when the REx isn't running.

Hmm, that didn’t even cross my mind. Probably because the REx hasn’t kicked in once since I’ve owned the car. It only turns on when you have depleted the main Li battery pack and my commute is such that I’ve never had it below a 30% charge.

Good point though Alohart ‼️

Time to be the spoiler - that ain't your real license plate.

The "Oregon Trail" plates haven't been offered in nearly 20 years, and that font is all wrong for an Oregon license plate. (I had custom Oregon Trail plates on my car in college.)

But howdy, fellow Oregonian i3 owner! Nice car!

CharonPDX said:
Time to be the spoiler - that ain't your real license plate.

The "Oregon Trail" plates haven't been offered in nearly 20 years, and that font is all wrong for an Oregon license plate. (I had custom Oregon Trail plates on my car in college.)

But howdy, fellow Oregonian i3 owner! Nice car!

Hi CharonPDX,

Nice catch but it really is my personalized plate, the image is a mock up that can be done at the Oregon DMV website:

https://dmv2u.oregon.gov/eServices/_/#1

Check and see if "F GAS" is available. It's not because I just purchased it yesterday. I made the mock up specifically to post here and get feedback. The plates will take some time to get mailed (and it will actually be a standard tree license plate).

Screenshot-2019-05-16-19-15-34.jpg

Ah, so partly right. Odd that their mockup system didn't bother to use the actual license plate font. Also, it offered the Oregon Trail plate‽

Edit: Ah, just went through the process - I see, you mocked it up yourself, not just saved their mockup then photoshopped on to your car. Yeah, no longer offer Oregon Trail. And the system does mock it up with the proper license plate font.

vreihen said:
My DW will not let me put this new custom license plate frame on the i3:

20190508213018-b39677b1.png

There was a thread somewhere that joked about creating a Facebook profile named OPEC LOL. Someone already has that custom plate in New York State, but LOL OPEC was still available as of a few days ago. BYE OPEC and CRY OPEC are other options to convey the same message in 8 characters, without using the DW-angering vulgarity.....

Here in Oregon, "NO OPEC" license plate is on a first-gen RAV4 EV in my neighborhood. (Or at least it used to be, I haven't seen it in a while...) Oregon only allows 6 letters/numbers plus a space or dash. (You can replace any of the 6 letters/numbers with spaces or dashes as well, as long as there is at least one letter/number, although spaces aren't counted when checking if it's available, so "NO OPEC" "NOOPEC" and "NOOP EC" would all count as the same plate, but "NO OPEC" "NO-OPEC", and even "NOOP-EC" are different.)

3L3CTRICK said:
I was hoping to get some feedback. Please feel free to give me your thoughts. My wife is VERY upset

Which is more important to you, your marriage or your new licence plate? If it is your marriage, ditch the plate immediately. Get your wife involved in choosing something else.

AndrewDebbie said:
Which is more important to you, your marriage or your new licence plate? If it is your marriage, ditch the plate immediately. Get your wife involved in choosing something else.

Roger that! My DW didn't like my first choice for a custom plate for the i3, but came up with one that I can live with (and will make all of my racing buddies laugh because it complements the custom plate that has graced my race car for 19 years). The i3 is "my" car, but compromise is a requirement in a healthy marriage. Happy wife, happy life.

This is the first vehicle that I've owned in 20+ years where the license plate frames are not contractually dictated by sponsors. Since custom plate frames can be had for under $20, I'll, um, subtly express my creativity on custom plate frames instead.....

AndrewDebbie said:

I did a FB Poll and 92% say to keep the plate. Faced with this reality she's OK keeping the plate now. THANKS!

Someone had F Cancer plate and it was cancelled. Anything with F is offensive in general but for many with little kids it would find it to be unpleasant.

There other plates that you can find.. NO CO2 or NO GAS, NO OIL or may just EV... all these will send pretty much broadcast the same message to the world and probably without getting same kind of attention from your better half.

Good Luck!

Hmm, that didn’t even cross my mind. Probably because the REx hasn’t kicked in once since I’ve owned the car. It only turns on when you have depleted the main Li battery pack and my commute is such that I’ve never had it below a 30% charge.

If you are not occasionally using the Rex, your REX should be doing an automatic computer-controlled start up and 'maintenance' run for ten minutes or so, roughly every two months to keep the engine lubricated and the fuel system active. If it is not doing this, something is wrong.

My nephew saw the picture as I was looking at it, and his question was: " I thought your car was electric - why does that one have a license plate that says it runs on Fart Gas"? Sorry, a nine-year-old's sense of humor, he thought it was quite funny, :D and no-one in the room was going to explain to him what it actually stood for :shock: .
And my wife is no help at all. She wanted a Bev (but in this area they are scarce) - and told the nephew, much to the amusement of all the listening relatives, that "no our car is electric, but it does 'fart-gas' sometimes, when its 'little gas-polluting engine' is running, so maybe we need the same license plate :mrgreen:

What's everyone got against fluorine gas? It's dangerous in its pure form, sure, but also so reactive that you're unlikely to find any . . .

Back