Bimmercode hold state of charge.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
viking79 said:
I regularly set hold at 75% and run until I am out of gas and keep driving on electric until I get to a convenient gas station. Totally seamless, and means I am not stopping as often for gas if gas stations are annoyingly spaced. Like "do I stop at this gas station with 30 mi gas range (and 50 mi electric) left because the next one is 35 mi away?" Nope, just use some of the battery.

When gas runs out, would one be able to make an exit, and fill up while the car is left switched on? I have seen some say the Hold SOC gets reset to the current SOC if the driver door is opened or the car is switched off and back on.

Also, how about the case where the ReX is still running but low on gas. Would I be able to open the pressurised gas tank to gas up or wait for the engine to stop. In the latter case, is there a danger of the ReX engine starting while i am putting gas in?

Thanks in advance.

[EDITED]

No, the car will not let you open the gas tank door while the car is on. Do not try to defeat that, as it will not depressurize the tank, and you risk fire by spraying pressurized gas vapor if you try to force the tank open.

Note, though, that unless the SOC is less than the turn-on point, once you halt the car, like say at a light, the REx can just shut down on its own. It's unsafe on ANY car to refuel it while the engine is running.

And, not to be beating a dead horse, but having the REx engine running or not, the car runs on electricity...if it's not coming from the generator driven by the engine, it is coming from the batteries. So, it makes absolutely no difference whether the REx is running or not, or whether it is out of fuel or not...it will keep going as long as there's charge in the batteries. Run both the REx's gas tank and the batteries out, and you'll have a dead car. Refill the tank, and slowly, if you just leave it there and turn it on, it should recover to 6% or so on its own, but no higher. If you left it with say the flashers on for a long time, or it just sat, if you also run the 12vdc battery down, you won't have enough juice to turn on the computers, and the only way then to get things going is to tow it to a charging point and plug in. While you can jump the 12vdc battery, you must use the high voltage disconnect first, or you can fry some electronics.

Back