BMW CEO to quit after carmaker loses early lead in electrics

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

https://apnews.com/cdae456e8c1948e5b7f01c602eda23dc?fbclid=IwAR0u-imQD2NqDTFyl8WhxVWpebzmsTNXqDdPEQA922Qx6czzOqS9UJmgNb4

In my opinion, BMW's problems run deeper than future EV plans. When I was at the local dealer picking up my car after it was towed in with the charging cable lock problem (my first time ever stepping foot in a BMW dealer since 1995), I was struck by the blah-ness of their entire sedan/SUV lineup as I walked through the new cars. They sent me a July 4th sale email, and scrolling down the message just revealed more "meh" cars with the only thing differentiating them from each other being the price next to each. Am I the only person who thinks that their entire product line has gone stale?

Speaking of the product line, Ford and other companies are realizing that they can no longer sell sedans/cars in the USA because there isn't a huge demand for them. Most of BMW's product catalog is sedans.....

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

BMW has announced the new CEO will be Oliver Zipse, who believes the future of cars is electric.

He supports BMW’s expansions towards e-mobility production capacities, stating: "In the future, every BMW Group plant in Europe will be equipped to produce electrified as well as conventional vehicles."

In regard to electro mobility, Zipse has been an advocate of as much in-house competencies as possible, in order to reduce the risk of job losses with the expected future production fluctuations during the transition time from classical gas and diesel towards electric model lines.

Caution my friend:
https://jalopnik.com/oliver-zipse-officially-in-as-new-bmw-chairman-1836508479

Zipse has been with the BMW organization since 1991 when he joined as a trainee, and has graduated up through the ranks ever since. While it is nice to see BMW rewarding a life lived in service of the company, is the future of the company best left in the hands of a man who has known no other corporation or culture?

The carbon-fiber shell on an aluminum frame was a brilliant, 2014 solution to battery weight problem. Then BMW went back to steel bodies and unremarkable cars. Today, Tesla is eating their lunch and no one in BMW seems to recognize the threat. If you don't recognize the threat, it is hard to take effective action to defend against it.

I would add that Tesla management is mercurial with exceptional ability to change in a moments notice. The other EV makers, not so much. But Tesla acts rapidly in ways that the leave analysts dizzy. Also, BMW customers may be 'traditionalists' expecting the sound and fury of ICE engines.

It is entirely possible that BMW is unable to lead their existing customers into an electrified age. The multiple models may reflect customer intransigent that won't even consolidate on new models.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
It is entirely possible that BMW is unable to lead their existing customers into an electrified age. The multiple models may reflect customer intransigent that won't even consolidate on new models.

How many existing customers did Tesla have ten years ago?

The i3 in my driveway is my first foray into the BMW brand. I had no interest in any other car they have produced up until now, except giving serious consideration to buying a new E36 M3 Lightweight back in the late 1990's for motorsports use. Playing devil's advocate, I'll argue that they can attract a whole new customer base...if they have the right EV product.....

is the future of the company best left in the hands of a man who has known no other corporation or culture?

Who better, to be able to really push the company into the (electric) future, IF they have the vision. His predecessor was basically asked to leave precisely because he failed capitalize on BMW's early lead in electric. Time will tell, but from the comments Zipse has made about the future of electric cars at BMW (and this was before he was pegged for the job as CEO), he's appears to be of the mindset that gas/diesel cars are on the way out. and electric is the future.

vreihen said:
. . . Playing devil's advocate, I'll argue that they can attract a whole new customer base...if they have the right EV product.....
It is my fondest wish. Someone to make Tesla quality products not because I don't like Tesla but having a second who pursues other vehicle categories makes everyone stronger.

Bob Wilson

MKH said:
GOOD NEWS!!!!!

BMW has announced the new CEO will be Oliver Zipse, who believes the future of cars is electric.

He supports BMW’s expansions towards e-mobility production capacities, stating: "In the future, every BMW Group plant in Europe will be equipped to produce electrified as well as conventional vehicles.

You must be more of an optimist than I. ;) I'm not sure more "electrified" (read: more plug-in hybrid cars with small batteries) is enough to keep BMW competitive. We can agree it's certainly better than ICE-only, but that's about as far as I'll go.

It's more difficult to compete with a compromised platform than a purpose-built BEV platform. As a customer, I frankly don't give a damn what is easier, cheaper, and less risky for BMW, I will shop for the best overall EV for the price. If someone else is able to place bigger, risker bets that also result in a superior product, they'll earn my money.

Back