Problems with rain and standard charger?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problems here. Only one massive rain and hail storm so far.

The unit is plugged into a normal mains socket in the garage and the unit itself is tucked inside in the dry. The car is outside in the elements.

The explanation for this strange arrangement is that the garage is full of bikes and I need to build a bike shed!

Same as me, but I am worried about public charging in the rain, so anyone used the unit outside regularly?

Hi,

I took delivery of my i3 in February. Have been commuting 100 km more or less daily since then. In cold weather (living in Sweden) I've been charging outside my workplace since heating the car have significant negative impact on range. Two weeks ago I noticed that the car wasn't charging although plugged in... Called my BMW dealer, who decided to haul my car to the BMW service center. They very soon came to the conclusion that my EVSE unit had failed due to water damage. They replaced it with a new one which was "improved".

The original EVSE unit was IP44 rated, don't know what the improvement did in IP rating. However I'm planning to by a separate EVSE with IP55 and 16A capability, leaving the original inside my garage as a "wallbox".

So my general advice is that you should be careful with how to use the original EVSE in outdoor use or have it replaced as soon as possible as a warranty claim...

hollar said:
Hi,

I took delivery of my i3 in February. Have been commuting 100 km more or less daily since then. In cold weather (living in Sweden) I've been charging outside my workplace since heating the car have significant negative impact on range. Two weeks ago I noticed that the car wasn't charging although plugged in... Called my BMW dealer, who decided to haul my car to the BMW service center. They very soon came to the conclusion that my EVSE unit had failed due to water damage. They replaced it with a new one which was "improved".

The original EVSE unit was IP44 rated, don't know what the improvement did in IP rating. However I'm planning to by a separate EVSE with IP55 and 16A capability, leaving the original inside my garage as a "wallbox".

So my general advice is that you should be careful with how to use the original EVSE in outdoor use or have it replaced as soon as possible as a warranty claim...

I'd be very interested to know where you source an IP55 16A replacement (assuming you don't build it yourself),

Regards

Bill

Back