vreihen

Re: Air conditioning failed

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:15 am

i3Houston wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:16 am
PARTS:
25127 AC Compressor noisy verify noise from rear of vehicle with AC on. Inspect and found compressor noisy. recover AC system and disable high voltage system replace compressorrecharge and check noise no longer present
They most certainly did remove all of the refrigerant as part of the repair process!

Now for the stupid question du jour, since BMW is new to me. Are all of the current/recent BMW cars using the same refrigerant, or did they make a switch recently? Just wondering if the dealership may have recovered the refrigerant into the wrong storage tank, and then put contaminated/mixed stuff back in?????
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

i3Houston

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 am

vreihen wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:15 am
i3Houston wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:16 am
PARTS:
25127 AC Compressor noisy verify noise from rear of vehicle with AC on. Inspect and found compressor noisy. recover AC system and disable high voltage system replace compressorrecharge and check noise no longer present
They most certainly did remove all of the refrigerant as part of the repair process!

The invoice says both, on top it reads refrigerant was not discharged then down below it says it was 'recharged'. My car is nearing end of warranty and i think i will end in same situation as OP.
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

MKH
Gold Member

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 am

I know nothing about a/c systems. Is there a filter on the i3's a/c system just prior to the compressor that can remove contaminants like metal? If not, is there such a thing that can be fitted if/when a new system is installed?
No, there is no filter I am aware of in the i3 AC system.

Yes there is such a thing that can be fitted.

https://www.airsept.com/Products/Details/32
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

MKH
Gold Member

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:07 am

My car is nearing end of warranty and i think i will end in same situation as OP.
I think I'd be calling BMW NA, and point out the similarities with other AC systems which have subsequently had the AC compressor fail catastrophically, and require complete replacement of the entire system at a cost beyond the value of the car, and ask that either the AC compressor be replaced under warranty, or they guarantee their very limited 'band-aid repair' of the AC system for at least 12 months.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”