Heater?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There isn't anything 'wrong' with the Blizzaks, it's just that the Nokian R3 is a better, newer design winter tire that costs about the same.

Forget running the 20" summer tires in the winter snow. They're not all that great when the temperature drops, either. The rubber just isn't particularly compatible with cold or snowy conditions, nor is the tread design got many sipes that give you grip in less than ideal situations. It's one thing to be able to squeegee away rain, but another entirely to grip on icy or snowy surfaces. The summer tires are decent in the former and horrible in the latter. You'll need a set of 19" wheels, or park the car for the winter IMHO.

Right, Summer tires lose a great deal of grip as temps go down. All the sets I used for 14 years were only rated down to 40F at the lowest. You really notice the loss of grip on a chilly Fall commute -- even on dry pavement. Nevermind ice and snow, if morning temps dip anywhere near freezing, switch the rims and tires for the Winter set when the days get short.

Given the cost of new wheels and winter tires, it is more likely that my i3 will sit on those days. My Ram truck will need some exercise anyway...

Forget running the 20" summer tires in the winter snow.
Or on any streets with potholes :|

The 19" all-seasons work well all year, the 1/3 more sidewall height protects against pothole damage to both rim and tire (bent all 4 of my 20 " rims, and put 'pinch' bubbles in the side walls of two of my 20" tires, hitting potholes) . And the ride is better with 19" wheels/tires as well.

Back