Would you buy a used, 2016 REX as your first EV? AKA, help me decide!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeln2672

Hi all! I'm driving a 2008 Altima, but have long wanted an EV. I started doing research recently after my car began making funny noises, and while I originally thought it'd be easy to settle on a car given the relatively limited choices, it turns out there's WAY more choice than I'd imagined! I've test driven the major players and will talka about that below, but real quickly here's a bit about my situation:

• Would like to spend under $30k (the cost OTD of my wife's CX-5 last year. It's arbitrary, but feels comfortable.
  • My commute is about 20 miles each way, but in the summer, I play baseball and sometimes go up to 60 miles RT to fields around the city. This seems to eliminate certain used EV's due to range anxiety.
  • I live in Indiana in the Midwestern USA, so it gets fairly cold in winter (frequently below 32 F, although not often below zero), and hot in the summer (frequently over 90).
  • I can install a 240-volt charger in my home garage, but have no charging options at work and limited in other places I visit. The big exception is there's a Tesla supercharger less than a mile from my house.
  • Reliability and frugality are super important to me. I've only ever bought brand new cars and then kept them well-maintained for 10+ years. Looking at used is a first. Considering I've never owned an EV, it's a little unsettling trying to figure everything out.

I posted on Tesla and Bolt discussion forums and got a wide range of opinions from a used S60 for the free supercharging, to splurging on a new M3 for future-proofing, to negotiating on a new Bolt (which they seem to be giving away), to looking at used i3, eGolf, Fiat, Bolts, etc just to dip my toe into the EV world much more cheaply -- so just a TON of options.

So far I've tested a 2018 Bolt Premier (loaded), a 2016 i3 REX (loaded), a 2019 Leaf SL (loaded), a 2014 Mercedes B-Class (most options), and a Tesla M3. I'd like to try an eGolf and Ioniq, but none within 3 hours of me.

• I was obviously blown away by the Tesla M3 (as expected), but since I won't be road tripping often/ever, I just don't know if I can justify the cost.
  • I really wanted to love the Bolt because I could get a great value on both used and new considering how slowly they're selling. I loved the infotainment screen and integration with Android Auto/ACP (which I use often in my wife's car). I was a bit let down by the Bolt's "utilitarianism." Handling was average, interior materials seemed cheap, no power seats (let alone memory), no adaptive cruise control, etc. Range amazing, torque nice, reliability good from what I read.
  • The Leaf was similarly underwhelming, but had better options (but I worry about battery longevity...and it honestly seemed like an overpriced Sentra with a battery).
  • The i3 was my favorite test drive by far. Interior and handling actually felt like a luxury car, and the only option I really missed was Android Auto (which is big...but not a deal breaker). It's unfortunately got the lowest electric range, and rather than buying new or slightly used as with the others, I'd probably have to buy a 2016 or so to get it at a price I'm comfortable with...so warranty expiring.

So there you have it. Think a used i3 would be a good intro to the world of EV in my situation...or would you go another route? Would certainly appreciate any advice and opinions you have!

If your upper limit is $30k, you could look newer than a 2016 i3 I think. Off-lease models are worth looking at.

My wife finds my i3 to be too utilitarian -- I think the lack of power seats is the big thing. But the "his and hers" sunroofs impressed her. (To me, it's a T-Top, but I'm a few years older.) My used 2017 is my first EV. Range anxiety isn't a big deal for me, but I'm in KC where charging stations sprout like coneflowers in the suburbs. Sure I gotta drive an extra few blocks for a free one, but ok. Expect an electric range below 100 miles in sub-freezing temps. If you can leave your ride on the charger overnight, then the scheduled precondition helps a lot! That goes for hot summer days, too. And even if you're not charging, man is the remote climatize nice just before walking out to that hot (or cold) parking lot.

You're in the Midwest, too, so note what wheel/tire package is on a candidate vehicle. There's a lot out there with the 20" rims that only mount summer tires. Seriously, tire choice is really limited. Snow or no snow, Summer tires are really only good down to 40F on dry pavement. And potholes really want to eat your low aspect tires and big rims, too. You need 19" rims to mount all season or snow tires, so if your baby has the 20s, factor that in. I spent 14 winters in Kansas and Iowa in a G35 with two sets of tires -- not a bad idea really for a RWD vehicle. It's doable, but costs extra and you need a place to store the out of season wheels. Bright side, i3 wheels are small and lightweight. With an inexpensive floor jack and good lug wrench, you can swap out own wheels twice a year for the best of both worlds.

I'm glad I got the tech and navigation packages. Friends love the wide display and the great backup camera.

If you've got kids, make sure they'll be okay with the ins and outs necessary (suicide ^B^B^B^B^B^B^B coach doors, you know).

robthebold said:
If your upper limit is $30k, you could look newer than a 2016 i3 I think. Off-lease models are worth looking at.

My wife finds my i3 to be too utilitarian -- I think the lack of power seats is the big thing. But the "his and hers" sunroofs impressed her. (To me, it's a T-Top, but I'm a few years older.) My used 2017 is my first EV. Range anxiety isn't a big deal for me, but I'm in KC where charging stations sprout like coneflowers in the suburbs. Sure I gotta drive an extra few blocks for a free one, but ok. Expect an electric range below 100 miles in sub-freezing temps. If you can leave your ride on the charger overnight, then the scheduled precondition helps a lot! That goes for hot summer days, too. And even if you're not charging, man is the remote climatize nice just before walking out to that hot (or cold) parking lot.

You're in the Midwest, too, so note what wheel/tire package is on a candidate vehicle. There's a lot out there with the 20" rims that only mount summer tires. Seriously, tire choice is really limited. Snow or no snow, Summer tires are really only good down to 40F on dry pavement. And potholes really want to eat your low aspect tires and big rims, too. You need 19" rims to mount all season or snow tires, so if your baby has the 20s, factor that in. I spent 14 winters in Kansas and Iowa in a G35 with two sets of tires -- not a bad idea really for a RWD vehicle. It's doable, but costs extra and you need a place to store the out of season wheels. Bright side, i3 wheels are small and lightweight. With an inexpensive floor jack and good lug wrench, you can swap out own wheels twice a year for the best of both worlds.

I'm glad I got the tech and navigation packages. Friends love the wide display and the great backup camera.

If you've got kids, make sure they'll be okay with the ins and outs necessary (suicide ^B^B^B^B^B^B^B coach doors, you know).

Thanks for the really helpful reply! Great point on the tires...I hadn't even thought about that. I wondered how this tiny car would perform in the snow (and adverse conditions in general), so any thoughts on that would be appreciated. We don't get dumped on (and it's not like my Nissan is built for tough weather), but it's nice to know I could still get around without issues with a few inches.

Now that I've drive -- and liked -- the i3, I'll probably do another quick search to see what pricing is out there. The 2016 I found an hour or so away was top of the line and loaded with all the options that I want. I definitely want Tech/Navigation as you mentioned -- that screen is a must, as is adaptive cruise. Loved the actual leather interior on the one I drove today as well. Can't remember exactly what else comes with those loaded ones, but I'll have to look into it again.

I wanted to love the Bolt because of the range, fact I could buy new with warranty, and Android Auto (which I LOVE), but I was just underwhelmed. I might drive it again in a day or two to see if I feel differently. Again, I've never bought a used car, so I'm nervous about that with the i3...but perhaps it's time!

Any and all opinions and experiences are appreciated!

If you are nervous about buying used, look for one covered by the BMW CPO extended warranty. You can do a search on the BMW site, which will list what is available in a 500 mile radius.
https://cpo.bmwusa.com/?origin=bmw_search_brand_google_cpo_national_&sd_campaign=%5BG%5D+BMW+%7C+CPO+%7C+Brand+%7C+Brand+Core+%7C+Exact&sd_digadprov=UM&sd_channel=Search&sd_campaign_type=Google&ds_rl=1264450&ds_rl=1264450&gclid=CjwKCAjwpuXpBRAAEiwAyRRPgRcjFFJ4JS-RUeQ4TfPJ2iBK9fi-lMrHDIEd2VpQfkZP0azfHg9GgxoCwu8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And if the car is still under what is left of the factory 4-year warranty, you can always have it extended through BMW (for a price). If buying the car through a BMW dealer, something to consider negotiating on. Stay away from any 3rd-party warranties that aren't from BMW, even if being pushed by the local dealer. From the research I have done, they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Most have fine print which eliminates coverage for most electric car components, and the few designed for electric cars are pretty shady. They seem to operate like this. Sell you the warranty, and if you have a claim that is UNDER the price you paid for the warranty, they cover it. If the repair is expensive, and costs MORE than what you paid for the warranty, they find some technicality to refuse the repair, and if you make a fuss, like file a complaint with the BBB or State consumer affairs, they simply refund you your original cost of the warranty. Pretty neat business model - sell warranties which they never lose money on.

abeln2672 said:
Thanks for the really helpful reply! Great point on the tires...I hadn't even thought about that. I wondered how this tiny car would perform in the snow (and adverse conditions in general), so any thoughts on that would be appreciated. We don't get dumped on (and it's not like my Nissan is built for tough weather), but it's nice to know I could still get around without issues with a few inches.

I should add that on very slippery surfaces, like glare ice or right after a light rain following a long dry spell (all that newly loosened dirt, oil and tire dust coating the road like pig phlegm or your favorite simile) when you first let up on the accelerator and feel the back end break free because now it's regenerating as hard as it can is a very . . . exciting . . . moment. Best to learn that technique in a controlled environment, and not on the ice rink roads where I experienced it first. :eek: When I saw the red beetle pull up behind me at a stop light sideways I realized it wasn't just me -- I just experienced it in a special new way and in the 2nd day with my car. :oops:

I ended up with the Deka interior. The car had everything else I wanted, and it's kinda futuristic. My wife finds that look a little raw, YMMV. I tell myself if I go serious vegetarian or vegan in the time I own the i3 I won't feel guilty about leather seats or leather trim. Now that said, I think the Giga interior has the most attractive appearance of all the options. Like a modern living room in your car.

I live in southwest Ohio (near Dayton) and can relate to your range and weather concerns. I have similar range needs as you and calculated that my (occasional) daily maximum would be around 100 miles (40 mile RT to work + 40 mile RT taking my son to soccer + 20 miles for misc errands). After driving an i3 REX that was available locally, I decided I wanted a 2017+ BEV. I ended up doing a nationwide search due to limited availability and found a 2017 BEV I liked in MN (https://www.gsmotors.us/). I had the car shipped ($500) to me in January. A bonus was that it came with both 20" summer and 19" winter wheels with Blizzak tires. The Blizzaks are better in the snow than a Subaru (I've had a couple) with all-season tires. robthebold is correct about the wheels being small and light and easy to change as well as the handling quirks on slippery surfaces.

It took me a couple of months to get a 240v charger installed, so I used the 120v occasional use charger until March. It turned out that I had charge anxiety more than range anxiety. Many days during the week, the car wasn't fully charged the next morning when I left for work. For this reason, I highly recommend the EVSE (240v) charger. And the preconditioning is nice too!

IMO, the nav and phone integration are mediocre at best but the harman/kardon stereo is very nice. In hindsight, I wish I had the tech package but the upgraded stereo was a higher priority for me. The lack of features is offset by the fact that the interior materials of the Tera World (full leather & dark oak) make my i3 a very nice place to be.

Bottom line is that you can get easily get a 2017 BEV for under $30k although a CPO through a dealer might be close. You may want to wait until more '18s come off lease.

Another car to consider if you're thinking REX/PHEV is the Honda Clarity. These have a 40-something mile EV range and then become a hybrid like the i3 REX, Volt, etc. My wife just bought one and it's great as a short distance EV and as a long distance highway car -- it's very comfortable on the highway. Certainly not as fun to drive as the i3 but may be worth considering. For us, it's the perfect complement to the i3 (and we can share the EVSE). It's easy to find a base model 2018 Clarity for under $30k but the Touring may run you more.

I don't think it's possible to "figure everything out" about EVs because it is such a significant shift when coming from ICE. The potential pitfalls are well documented but there are many benefits (and just things that are different) that you may not recognize until you own one. My biggest surprise was how the combination of one-pedal driving along with the quiet cabin helped me be more relaxed on my commute. I find that when I drive the i3 I'm less likely to get upset by other drivers. Except the ones who are slow pulling away from a light! ;)

Good luck on your decision!

i3Karl said:
I live in southwest Ohio (near Dayton) and can relate to your range and weather concerns. I have similar range needs as you and calculated that my (occasional) daily maximum would be around 100 miles (40 mile RT to work + 40 mile RT taking my son to soccer + 20 miles for misc errands). After driving an i3 REX that was available locally, I decided I wanted a 2017+ BEV. I ended up doing a nationwide search due to limited availability and found a 2017 BEV I liked in MN (https://www.gsmotors.us/). I had the car shipped ($500) to me in January. A bonus was that it came with both 20" summer and 19" winter wheels with Blizzak tires. The Blizzaks are better in the snow than a Subaru (I've had a couple) with all-season tires. robthebold is correct about the wheels being small and light and easy to change as well as the handling quirks on slippery surfaces.

It took me a couple of months to get a 240v charger installed, so I used the 120v occasional use charger until March. It turned out that I had charge anxiety more than range anxiety. Many days during the week, the car wasn't fully charged the next morning when I left for work. For this reason, I highly recommend the EVSE (240v) charger. And the preconditioning is nice too!

IMO, the nav and phone integration are mediocre at best but the harman/kardon stereo is very nice. In hindsight, I wish I had the tech package but the upgraded stereo was a higher priority for me. The lack of features is offset by the fact that the interior materials of the Tera World (full leather & dark oak) make my i3 a very nice place to be.

Bottom line is that you can get easily get a 2017 BEV for under $30k although a CPO through a dealer might be close. You may want to wait until more '18s come off lease.

Another car to consider if you're thinking REX/PHEV is the Honda Clarity. These have a 40-something mile EV range and then become a hybrid like the i3 REX, Volt, etc. My wife just bought one and it's great as a short distance EV and as a long distance highway car -- it's very comfortable on the highway. Certainly not as fun to drive as the i3 but may be worth considering. For us, it's the perfect complement to the i3 (and we can share the EVSE). It's easy to find a base model 2018 Clarity for under $30k but the Touring may run you more.

I don't think it's possible to "figure everything out" about EVs because it is such a significant shift when coming from ICE. The potential pitfalls are well documented but there are many benefits (and just things that are different) that you may not recognize until you own one. My biggest surprise was how the combination of one-pedal driving along with the quiet cabin helped me be more relaxed on my commute. I find that when I drive the i3 I'm less likely to get upset by other drivers. Except the ones who are slow pulling away from a light! ;)

Good luck on your decision!

Thanks again, everyone! Such great info and experiences. That helps a ton! Your post in particular piqued my interest because you mentioned highways. A ton of the driving I do is on the interstate, and I read a post about the i3 feeling a bit insecure at high speeds...like someone said the clipped the seam on the shoulder and about lost control due to the thin tires. Has that been your experience at all? Seems this car was really aimed at the big city commuter who needed to fit into a tight parking spot. That's not really me, but the car impressed me a ton and has about the range I'd need I think (very similar to you, in fact).

I'm not desperate to buy as the Altima continues running fine at 175k miles despite the suddenly concering growl at low speeds. I've just been thinking about an EV for so long I'm sort of convinced I need it, lol! Appreciate all the info!

The flight-proven :lol: 2015 i3 that I bought in April has extremely sensitive/twitchy steering feel, and seems to have an ultra-quick ratio steering rack. I find the feedback from the electric power steering to be numb, giving no feedback through the wheel for road imperfections/seams/bumps. There is *zero* slop in the steering wheel, and I suspect that this combined with the electric power steering, skinny tires, and ultra-quick ratio steering rack all contribute to the twitchy feel. Other than the numbness part, I honestly wish that my race car steered like the i3!

My car seems to be well planted at 65 MPH, and I can comfortably take both hands off of the wheel. It is not a white-knuckle, two hands in a death grip on the steering wheel drive. It does seem to get blown around a little bit in crosswinds, but so did my 1980's VW Rabbit probably due to the light weight and broad sides to catch crosswinds.

In terms of snow performance, skinny tires are the ticket. Wider tires "float" on top of snow, but skinny tires sink through down to the pavement. I used to daily drive a motorcycle year-round here in upstate NY, and never had a problem with skinny knobby tires in the snow. I have not driven the i3 in the snow yet, but have read several other owners saying that the car goes through the white stuff with no problems. (I may never find out, since I still have a lonely 4x4 pickup in the driveway that I expect to be driving in the snow.)

The most important feature is programmable departure times with pre-condition. Once you open your car door on a 95F day and are greeted with that 72F blast of comfy air from inside the cooled cabin, you will be spoiled for life and probably never drive a gas car ever again.....

abeln2672 said:
Thanks again, everyone! Such great info and experiences. That helps a ton! Your post in particular piqued my interest because you mentioned highways. A ton of the driving I do is on the interstate, and I read a post about the i3 feeling a bit insecure at high speeds...like someone said the clipped the seam on the shoulder and about lost control due to the thin tires. Has that been your experience at all? Seems this car was really aimed at the big city commuter who needed to fit into a tight parking spot. That's not really me, but the car impressed me a ton and has about the range I'd need I think (very similar to you, in fact).

I'm not desperate to buy as the Altima continues running fine at 175k miles despite the suddenly concering growl at low speeds. I've just been thinking about an EV for so long I'm sort of convinced I need it, lol! Appreciate all the info!

From my experience, the i3 is not easy to drive at high speeds when there is a crosswind. Not white knuckle, but you have to pay attention. Personally, only about 20% of my driving is 65mph or above. The other 80% is usually 30-60mph. The i3 has no problem going fast and I occasionally have it up to 75-80 but it really shines at the lower speeds. I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much if my situation were reversed. I've done a few longer ( > 50 mile) highway drives and the i3 does fine, but requires more concentration than most other cars I've driven.

Yes, you can tell that the i3 is meant to be a city car. The tight turning circle, quick off the line acceleration, easy to park, quick responsive steering... it's a great car for around town. You'll also notice that range starts to fall off noticeably above 70mph. It's a small car but it has a fairly large frontal area (tall and wide). Again, it's not really designed for highway speeds... Given my situation, if I'm going to go more than 40 miles on the highway, I'll be asking to borrow my wife's Clarity.

Everybody needs an EV! Unfortunately, there isn't an EV that's right for everyone yet. You might check to see if there are any EV groups in your area. It looks like there is a Hoosier chapter of the EAA -- https://eaa-1967.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=0&club_id=222684. You might be able to find someone with an i3 who can give you a more thorough test drive. The EAA is active in the Dayton area and holds events where they introduce people to EVs. I think some more seat time would probably help in your decision. Good luck!

I went thru this whole exact process with very similar approach back in Dec. 2018, bought a 2016 i3 for $18,300, very happy so far. Get the REX for sure, very cool when you run out of juice it kicks in.

I did a whole spread sheet on the different options, i too like to keep my cars for 10 years or 300,000 miles.

drop me an e-mail and i will send you the spread sheet, [email protected]

or call if you want my input, 480-588-8270. If you can afford the 2017 model go for it because the added range.

oldeagle1 said:
I went thru this whole exact process with very similar approach back in Dec. 2018, bought a 2016 i3 for $18,300, very happy so far. Get the REX for sure, very cool when you run out of juice it kicks in.

I did a whole spread sheet on the different options, i too like to keep my cars for 10 years or 300,000 miles.

drop me an e-mail and i will send you the spread sheet, [email protected]

or call if you want my input, 480-588-8270. If you can afford the 2017 model go for it because the added range.

Thanks a ton for offering all this help! I just emailed you, but feel free to share thoughts here as well for posterity purposes :) It's so funny you mention a spreadsheet since I've also got a massive one going! I drove a 2016 i3 and another 2019 Bolt today hoping it'd make my decision easier, but it really didn't. I'm leaning towards waiting now since I haven't really fallen in love with anything, but I'm going to continue reading and doing my research.

Hi,

Sorry to be late but we have:
  • 2014 BMW i3-REx - bought used in May 23, 2016
  • 2019 Standard Range Plus Model 3 - bought in March 26, 2019
We are a retired couple with my wife's three dogs. Stream of consciousness for BMW i3-REx:
  • Bought end of lease with 6,000 miles; installed four new tires; today just over 40,000 miles and; replaced rear tires after 34,000 mi.
  • Patch/code for REx enable at 75% SOC and increase tank from 1.9 to 2.3 gal. Uses Premium but Plus is possible based on octane rating.
  • Replacement parts are a minimum 2-3 days in shop based on a windshield replacement and first-year, weak motor mount bold fracture.
  • Shop staff are owner friendly and have let me see them working on mine.
  • "Magic Eye" dynamic cruise control is confused driving into the Sun or some shadows over the road.
  • A 2.5 gallon, Briggs and Stratton, spare gas container can fit in the frunk but is not needed along Interstate highways.
  • First drive was 463 mi Charlotte NC to Huntsville AL, over a 2,800 ft pass.
  • Longest single trip was 700 miles from Huntsville to Stillwater OK with wife and her dogs.
  • Driving at 70 mph and taking motorcycle range, fuel breaks gave 1h 15min segments. Faster and the battery SOC goes down.
  • We added a receiver hitch to carry wife's folding wheel chair, no trailer light kit ... yet.
  • The 0-60 time matches our Model 3 in "chill" mode, ~8 sec., which is more than enough around town.
  • A "10 stop" EV around Huntsville and able to round trip to nearest towns on EV.
For our 2019 Standard Range Plus Model 3:
  • Drove 10,000 miles in first 100 days.
  • Half the cost per mile than the BMW i3-REx on gas.
  • AutoPilot is awesome although a few quirks. This allowed a 711 mi, solo-trip to Detroit for an EV conference.
  • Doing all driving while thinking about keeping BMW i3-REx as backup.
GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

If you are still considering the $37.5K Bolt, take a look at the Hyundai Kona EV or Kia Niro EV if they are available in your market. They both use the same drivetrain/batteries. The Hyundai feels cramped inside because they put an ironing board with buttons on it between the front seats. My DW test drove the Hyundai back in May, and liked the performance but not the cramped feel. She went to the Kia dealership, sat in a gas-powered Niro because they didn't have an EV in stock yet, and placed an order for one. She has over 4,000 miles on it already, and I still can't pry the key fob out of her hands. Oh, and it is getting better miles/kWh than my i3!!!!!

vreihen said:
If you are still considering the $37.5K Bolt, take a look at the Hyundai Kona EV or Kia Niro EV if they are available in your market. They both use the same drivetrain/batteries. The Hyundai feels cramped inside because they put an ironing board with buttons on it between the front seats. My DW test drove the Hyundai back in May, and liked the performance but not the cramped feel. She went to the Kia dealership, sat in a gas-powered Niro because they didn't have an EV in stock yet, and placed an order for one. She has over 4,000 miles on it already, and I still can't pry the key fob out of her hands. Oh, and it is getting better miles/kWh than my i3!!!!!

Thanks for chiming in! I was stoked about the Niro EV and following the news about its release for a year, but it's in very short supply and unfortunately not available anywhere close to me. I've also heard some dealers are charging over MSRP for it and there's absolutely zero room for negotiation. I'm pretty confident I could get a loaded Premier Bolt for around $31k. Minus the $3750 tax credit, it'll come in around $27.5. The Niro closest to me (500 miles or so) is priced at $39600. Minus the $7500 tax credit, it's $32.1. It's definitely something to consider at less than a $5k difference, but if I went that route I'd probably just get a Tesla M3. That said, I really was so interested in the Niro. They look so cool! If there was an electric version near me I'd likely test it out to see if I fall in love.

bwilson4web said:
Hi,

Sorry to be late but we have:
  • 2014 BMW i3-REx - bought used in May 23, 2016
  • 2019 Standard Range Plus Model 3 - bought in March 26, 2019
We are a retired couple with my wife's three dogs. Stream of consciousness for BMW i3-REx:
  • Bought end of lease with 6,000 miles; installed four new tires; today just over 40,000 miles and; replaced rear tires after 34,000 mi.
  • Patch/code for REx enable at 75% SOC and increase tank from 1.9 to 2.3 gal. Uses Premium but Plus is possible based on octane rating.
  • Replacement parts are a minimum 2-3 days in shop based on a windshield replacement and first-year, weak motor mount bold fracture.
  • Shop staff are owner friendly and have let me see them working on mine.
  • "Magic Eye" dynamic cruise control is confused driving into the Sun or some shadows over the road.
  • A 2.5 gallon, Briggs and Stratton, spare gas container can fit in the frunk but is not needed along Interstate highways.
  • First drive was 463 mi Charlotte NC to Huntsville AL, over a 2,800 ft pass.
  • Longest single trip was 700 miles from Huntsville to Stillwater OK with wife and her dogs.
  • Driving at 70 mph and taking motorcycle range, fuel breaks gave 1h 15min segments. Faster and the battery SOC goes down.
  • We added a receiver hitch to carry wife's folding wheel chair, no trailer light kit ... yet.
  • The 0-60 time matches our Model 3 in "chill" mode, ~8 sec., which is more than enough around town.
  • A "10 stop" EV around Huntsville and able to round trip to nearest towns on EV.
For our 2019 Standard Range Plus Model 3:
  • Drove 10,000 miles in first 100 days.
  • Half the cost per mile than the BMW i3-REx on gas.
  • AutoPilot is awesome although a few quirks. This allowed a 711 mi, solo-trip to Detroit for an EV conference.
  • Doing all driving while thinking about keeping BMW i3-REx as backup.
GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

This is so helpful -- thank you for sharing the personal experiences! I drove another i3 and Bolt at different dealers yesterday to do more comparisons. I still really liked the peppiness and handling of the i3, but this time I got it up to highways speeds for a couple miles and wasn't super comfortable with how much correction was required at speed. I did some reading and found that it's a common concern/complaint given how light the car is and narrow the tires are. While I don't drive a ton, most of the miles are on the highway so this was a concern. I was also put off even more this time by the sort of lackluster infotainment system on the 2016. No Android Auto, really poor voice recognition, the nav took forever to search for my destination and plan a route, etc. Still love the sportiness, interior, and adaptive cruise, but I'm now leaning towards the Bolt. Did a bunch of calculations today and believe I'll go with a used 2017 if I get it for the right price.

Appreciate everyone chiming in!

FWIW, the actual FOOTPRINT of the tread on the ground on the i3's tires is similar to those smaller and wider. They chose the taller one specifically because it is narrower and produces less drag. WHen you sweat every gram, it makes a difference to improve efficiency. THat's one reason why the wheels are forged versus cast...they can be thinner but stronger and thus lighter, too.

My experience with the i3 is that it takes a very delicate hand, since the steering is so direct, any hiccup you induce does cause it to follow. A light touch with both hands to balance out the chances of moving it inadvertently, and it pretty much goes where you intend.

A little side story...I lived in Germany for awhile a long time ago. THey really expect people to actually control and drive their cars well. Getting a license there requires a lot more effort than it does here in the USA. My supervisor was driving one weekend and around a curve, his wheels touched the center line twice...he got two tickets. THey expect you to actually pay attention and drive...failing that, they have good enforcement, too!

While not everything on the i3 is what you might expect...there's probably a reason for it. To an engineer, it makes a lot of sense. SO, if that's your mindset, you'll really appreciate the car. If you don't, you'll find it a little strange.

Given there are several EVs that beat the i3 on overall efficiency using typical/common sized tires, it seems the uncommonly narrow tire decision was an objective failure. If I recall correctly, it didn't even last a whole year at the top of the overall efficiency throne, and no other manufacturer (with plenty of engineers!) has followed in their footsteps, for good reason.

As you can probably tell already, the tires are my least favorite aspect of the i3. I think they have many negative consequences and unfortunately very few positives, if any. I guess it's nice how they cut through snow. That's the most praise I can offer for them.

It's hard to beat the fun of driving an i3, but if you need to drive your car everyday and spend a lot of time on the highway, then you might consider a new or used Volt. That was my last car, and it was also a blast to drive and had rock solid reliability. It also has front wheel drive for all weather usability. It looks better than the Bolt and the engine allows you to use the car just like any other gas car, if you need it.

Thanks for the clear outline. Our other car is ironically a CX-5 too!

Generally, an i3 is not for everyone but is for more people than who will admit it. So what that means is that there may be a lot to not like on the surface, but if you address them, you may find that it's quite fitting. I know you're not asking for a review on the other cars, but I'll comment briefly on each since you brought them up:

- Tesla generally has long lead times for parts. Even if you had a body shop who could do the work close by you, expect 3-4 months of downtime for the car, meaning you'll need to figure out what you do for your transportation needs while the car is taken apart or undrivable while the body shop waits for parts from Tesla. That should be enough to scare you away, but I get it. Tesla 's are attractive in a lot of ways.
- The Bolt just feels a bit cheap on the inside. I'd only recommend this if you're in dire need of a long range EV which everyone feels they are but aren't really. Don't let people convince you that you need a 200mi range car to go 20 miles. EV's are to be charged at home where its convenient and to do it daily. I can write a whole thread about that so we won't discuss it in depth here.
- The Leaf has an old school cooling system. It's air cooled vs liquid cooled like the rest of the cars.

You'll find few things more attractive than the i3 for pricing in the used market for what you get. Regardless of the car being overpriced to begin with which inflates the "discount", you're still getting a lot for the money. I have a thread somewhere about why that is.

The REX was supposedly designed to help with people's range anxiety which isn't really a thing. It's more like range anxiety anxiety. People aren't actually worried about range. They're worried about being worried about range. I won't argue it in length but you really want to think about how much of your daily experience you want to sacrifice for the car to achieve what you'll do less than 3% of the time. The first question people ask about EV's in SF is how they'll get to Los Angeles and the answer is to rent a car with all the money you save owning the i3. At one point, CPO cars were and maybe are still offering the use of any of their loaner cars 6x in the first year. Yes, so you can drop off your i3 and pick up a 5 series if you wanted to.

If you just need encouragement, then you have it. The i3 is what it's cracked out to be if you've done your research. yes, you'll need to replace tires sooner and more often than perhaps you're used to. If you're car is down, you'll need a flat bed tow truck or dolly to get to the repair shop or home. Yes, it will fit 2 car seats (front facing) just fine. The coach doors aren't as much of a nightmare as you would think. but it is impossible to remove a convertible carseat with a baby in it if you're parked next to a car. You won't have AM radio unless you hack it. No, there isn't much hidden storage on board. Yes, you'll probably end up bringing the car to the dealership to change oil rather than figure it out yourself. No, the panels aren't as easy to remove as you may think. You will have to take it to the dealer to replace. Yes, your windshield will crack with extensive freeway driving like any other car but no it won't cost $4k like a Nissan Leaf. It'll be under $1000 and more like $300 for ones without the driver's assist package. Yes, the car looks funny but it's aged well for a now 6 year old car. Yes, it's annoying that the car starts up in Comfort Mode (which you can hack to change that) and Comfort Mode will be more responsive than you may like. Yes, you may get a headache from your own driving until you figure out the one-pedal driving thing. Yes, your brake pads will probably last 100k miles if you do it well. Yes, the rear lift gate will shatter in a car collision. Yes, public charging does can cost as much as gas. Yes, it takes a whole 7 seconds to plug in your car. Yes that means the time you otherwise spend gassing up a gas car once (5 minutes) and waiting, you can plug your car in for over a month 7 seconds at a time. Yes, you'll look back at your car every time you park it and walk away still awestruck a year later that you get to drive that piece of art and it didn't cost you that much. Yes, you can buy two used i3's for the price of 1 new Tesla Model 3 and have some money left over.

To be fair, ordering parts for an i3 is not always timely either, considering just about everything has to ship special order from Germany.

I suspect my i3 will spend more total time in the shop than my Tesla due to wasteful yearly oil change requirements (the engine barely runs!) and the check engine light problems I've had. Telsa problems tend to be cosmetic unless you are unlucky and happen to get in an accident. Repair times are Tesla's biggest weakness IMO.

I personally would not want to own a REx out of warranty. BEV maybe!

Back