Dave1584

Re: My i3 is Dead

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 pm

Fisher99 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 pm
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Just spent the week vacationing at the beach and picked up a 12v battery on my way home. Installed it a few minutes ago and everything lit up. It complained that it had zero charge, which I thought was interesting because the last I looked at it before everything quit, it said it was at 95.5%. But then I have had problems with the battery seeming to drain faster than I think it should when it's not plugged in (I have another thread on that topic) so figured I really did have a big battery drain problem. Still, that seemed strange because while it sat for the week unplugged, I also had the traction battery disconnected. In any case, after it sat for about 15 minutes I noticed that the light was no longer flashing on the charge port so checked it and it was sitting at 100%. Seems like it took it a little while for it to sort itself out after I connected the 12v battery.

So, all is well now, and I learned something about the i3, so that's a bonus.
Has anyone else seen or know whats going on with this? I just replaced my 12v battery and the car was showing 0.0% once I hooked up the new battery. I had left it fully charged before unhooking the 12v and letting it sit for a little over a week. Now it says its fully charged but the miles says "--" and I get low miles warnings and the car won't move.

Fisher99

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 pm

I don't know. As I said, mine sorted itself out after sitting for several minutes (after I installed the new 12v battery).

You will likely get a much better answer from some of the extremely knowledgeable i3 owners on this forum (I'm an i3 newbie), but I wonder if you should try resetting the 12v system again (disconnect the 12v battery, wait 15 minutes and then re-connect it). I would definitely give this a try.

Also, did you disconnect the main traction battery before swapping the 12v battery? I have heard that in some instances not doing so can cause electrical issues.

MKH
Gold Member

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 am

I get low miles warnings and the car won't move
Is the car plugged in for charging? If not plug it in for a few hours.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

Dave1584

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:17 am

Dave1584 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:42 pm
Fisher99 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 pm
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Just spent the week vacationing at the beach and picked up a 12v battery on my way home. Installed it a few minutes ago and everything lit up. It complained that it had zero charge, which I thought was interesting because the last I looked at it before everything quit, it said it was at 95.5%. But then I have had problems with the battery seeming to drain faster than I think it should when it's not plugged in (I have another thread on that topic) so figured I really did have a big battery drain problem. Still, that seemed strange because while it sat for the week unplugged, I also had the traction battery disconnected. In any case, after it sat for about 15 minutes I noticed that the light was no longer flashing on the charge port so checked it and it was sitting at 100%. Seems like it took it a little while for it to sort itself out after I connected the 12v battery.

So, all is well now, and I learned something about the i3, so that's a bonus.
Has anyone else seen or know whats going on with this? I just replaced my 12v battery and the car was showing 0.0% once I hooked up the new battery. I had left it fully charged before unhooking the 12v and letting it sit for a little over a week. Now it says its fully charged but the miles says "--" and I get low miles warnings and the car won't move.
After a few hours after posting this I tried to take it out for a spin because it started moving when you pushed the accelerator peddle. I made it 2 blocks away and it just died on me. I ended up pushing it back to my house. Once back I plugged it in again and it charged for about 20 minutes before saying it was fully charged again. I have Sense an energy monitoring system so I know it didn't charge over the night. This morning it says 100% charged and the range is now showing full range. Took it for a 4 mile trip with no problems. It has fixed itself... Seems the fix for this one is just do nothing :)

Fisher99

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:45 am

That's exactly what worked for me!

NickT65

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:14 am

Hi,

I have an urgent need right now. My 12V battery has died (I have recently had some issues with the charging of the car - I had to buy & have installed a new part where you plug into the car as the pin wasn't dropping in)

Yesterday it died on me again. Hey ho, it can happen and the car is 4 years old (and I love it).

My problem today is that if I wanted it towing it won't happen. It is stuck on my drive and the cable is still stuck in the car. I don't want to yank it out as that will break the new pin and I'll be hit with another £450 bill. The other end is not connected

Any tricks out there to release the cable?

Also, any ideas if my problem might be the age of teh 12V battery? If so, are they easy to buy and replace in the UK?

Thanks in advance people.

vreihen

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:48 am

If the cable is stuck to the car, use the blue emergency release cable located in the rear door jam of the driver's side (UK). There is a YouTube video of the procedure. Be gentle, because the cable is prone to snapping. Ask me how I know..... :(
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

vreihen

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:39 am

2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

NickT65

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:56 am

@vreihen - thank you so much for the video clip.
I had wondered what the lower blue pull cable was for (I'd assumed it was the boot).

Now to get BMW to help out.... (that is another story altogether).

bevRider

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:34 am

Be aware, each BMW 12V battery exchange must follow an initialization per OBD toolkit. Control system must know the capacity, etc.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”