jadnashuanh

Re: Unintended acceleration into building

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Fisher99 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 am
Interesting! I've never experienced a situation where regenerative braking disengages. Didn't even know it did that!
It can be disconcerting unless you're prepared for it. The state of the roads means I see it fairly often around here, especially in the spring before they've filled the winter created potholes. I've driven the car long enough to where I can generally anticipate it will happen.

The regen will be adjusted when a wheel slips, the speed changes on a wheel more than the others, and when going around a sharp turn. There's all sorts of little things the car does that should make it more stable that people may not really notice as most of them are in the background. I find a close reading of the user's manual periodically helps to get the most value out of the car when I read something and say...I didn't know that! There's lots of stuff you miss the first time through. Lots of little things many people complain about that if they'd read the manual, would find out the car can do, for example, the charging port cover has an indent that will let it hang on the door opening hook...it won't stay if you try to catch it by the end, or anywhere else, but in one spot where there's a pocket designed to catch on the hook...have heard lots of people complain about that, but it's in the manual. Had an acronym in the army - RTFM...you might guess what that stands for...(read the F* manual).
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

robthebold

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:54 pm

I can definitely testify to the skittish behavior over certain bumps with the regen and the stability control briefly working against the driver. I find washboard roads to be particularly bad. I don't think it would be bad enough to cause a loss of control on dry pavement, but add in slick conditions and it could be quite an unpleasant surprise.

vreihen

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:30 am

On the thought of blaming the shifter setup, the security department where I work had a Prius at one point for patrolling the grounds. I say had because they were forced to replace it within a year for a more traditional car, after a building collision, several car collisions, and an accidental excursion or two into the grass. Toyota used a funky shifter setup on the Prius, and it was cited as the cause of most of these accidents.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

Fisher99

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:17 am

I'm currently having the pleasure of teaching my 2 oldest grandkids to drive. Started them out in my Honda Civic with 5-speed stick, as I thought it was important for them to learn to drive a stick. Then sold the Honda and bought the i3 a couple months ago, so now they are switching back and forth between driving my i3 and my wife's 535i. It has been immediately obvious to them that the drive selectors are backwards between the two. Interestingly enough, they haven't commented yet on which one they think is actually backwards. Just that it's strange that they aren't the same. I am using it as an opportunity to teach them the importance of visually checking what the drive selector display actually shows before they try to drive off. And driving off slowly until they know for sure which direction the car is going to go. ;)

spz1

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Haven't been on the forum for a while and I saw this. I live close to this times super market but never go here. He must have really smashed the accelerator thinking it was his brake pedal. There are curbs and parking bricks in front of all stalls and he had to have picked up some decent momentum to get that far into the wall. I'm going to drive by later today and see if the hole is still there.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”