Need a help

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxP

Hi!

I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for the little notice maker that makes a "beep" sound when you lock the doors. Excuse me, I don't know the name of this device.

What I want to do is figure out if it's a simple 12V piezo speaker, or something else. If it's a simple 12V piezo, I'd like to tap that with 12V to a switch on the inside of the car as a way to politely "beep" at pedestrians to let them know I'm sneaking up behind them in my 3000lb ninja mobile.

I don't really want to horn blast anyone, but just a little "beep", and since the car already has the noise maker on-board, I'd like to use that if possible. Else, I'll do something else.

Thanks!

I looked this up once and the beep appeared to be generated by the car alarm system and does not use a simple 12V signal but was connected to the CAN bus.
-Tim

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13534

There is supposed to be a pedestrian sounder mounted in the front on passenger side, operating at low speeds
On my i3 it is enabled from a settings menu
I had a friend listen to it outside the car, I dont hear it when driving

I think the newest i3's may have the pedestrian warning as the Feds in the USA are phasing that in as a requirement for EVs. But, it was optional/mandatory in other parts of the world from the beginning. If I remember, it only came on at speeds from 0-30km/h, figuring that tire noises above that were sufficient. No idea how it is activated or whether it is a separate piece of hardware.

Back