(Questions) Planning a Los Angeles to Bryce Canyon Road Trip in the 2015 i3 REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickp

So I am going to do it in late September when things start to cool off a bit. LA to Bryce Canyon and back. Up to Las Vegas, I will get a couple of charges along the way. I have coded the car so I will be driving around 70% on gas and keep the Charge handy for the time I will need power. I will carry 2 gallons in the frump for that emergency situation should I need it. I will be going ECO Pro all the way and even Eco Pro+ if weather permits.

Per Plugshare, there are many J1772 chargers in St. George, Hurricane etc. But some of those chargers say J1772 for Tesla. This is confusing me. Does this mean this is a Tesla charger only?

vreihen said:
Use Google Maps and street view to verify any charging stations you're depending on using, assuming that they have current images and not old 2010 ones.....

Will do. Thanks.

Use plugshare. Google street view is generally a few years behind. On plugshare, the comments for individual stations will help you decide how reliable they are. If it says Tesla J-1172, it means both are available. Teslas, unlike others, carry adapters for all other charging connectors. A lot of small businesses have both Tesla destination chargers and a Clipper Creek J-1772. I am planning a 1600 mile round trip to Montana in my 2015 REX. Be sure to set the connectors for CCS and J-1772 in the filter section of the plugshare app. I carry a small Clipper Creek 24 amp level two charger with a NEMA 14-50 for plugging in at camp sites as well. Hope you have a good trip.

JohnKelly said:
Use plugshare. Google street view is generally a few years behind. On plugshare, the comments for individual stations will help you decide how reliable they are. If it says Tesla J-1172, it means both are available. Teslas, unlike others, carry adapters for all other charging connectors. A lot of small businesses have both Tesla destination chargers and a Clipper Creek J-1772. I am planning a 1600 mile round trip to Montana in my 2015 REX. Be sure to set the connectors for CCS and J-1772 in the filter section of the plugshare app. I carry a small Clipper Creek 24 amp level two charger with a NEMA 14-50 for plugging in at camp sites as well. Hope you have a good trip.

Great info. I am going to carry my Level 2 Charger with a heavy duty 14-50 extension cord. I have the plug share app.
My only confusion was the J1772 Tesla charging. So as long as it says J1772 I should be OK.

Don't know if a Tesla destination charger's owners will be happy having something other than a Tesla attached! Probably won't care, but you might want to check. I'm not sure who is paying for those.

Functionally, though, the i3 can hook up to anything that has a J1772 plug. Assuming you have the dc charging capability, then any CCS unit can provide DC power charging.

Also note that while the i3 can handle up to 7400W (in the US), not all EVSEs out there can max it out. There are a lot of commercial units that are fed with 208vac, so 208*30A (and not all of them can produce 30A) is only 6,240W, about 16% less, so charging times will be longer.

Unless you plan on sitting for 4+ hours at a charging station, look for CCS/SAE fast chargers only (orange in PlugShare) to trim your charge time down to less than half an hour. At least on the web page, PlugShare can set a filter based on what your car supports if you enter your vehicle description into your profile.....

There is also a new function available on plugshare if you have a laptop or desk top. It will not work on a cell phone. It is called trip planner. Works pretty well and it can show the elevations and time between stations you select. Very helpful, especially the elevation information.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.
There appears to be a lot of charging options now available all along the way on I15. From Mesquite Nevada to Beaver UT. These are DC fast chargers from Chargepoint and Electrify America. I think I can comfortable achieve a 50-50 Ev/Rex balance. :D

Back