Obioban

Re: Is an i3 right for me? For small Caribbean island?

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:48 am

From a salt/rust perspective, i3 seems like a great match-- there's almost nothing to rust!

The BEV also needs far, far less repairs than "normal" cars, which seems like a good match to living on an island with limited part availability. I would get the newest version you can afford, as earlier cars always, in every chassis, are less reliable than later cars.
alohart wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm
qsch wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:38 am
Now I drive a 1950 Series 1 Landrover, but I need something contemporary for clients (I run a real estate biz), and moving around the island quickly and comfortably.
Unless you never need to transport more than 1 client, an i3 would not be ideal with its narrow suicide rear doors that cannot be opened unless the front door on its side is open. Anyone sitting in the front seat must remove his/her seatbelt before the rear door is opened. There are no A/C vents in the rear and the rear windows cannot be opened, so the rear can become uncomfortably warm in warm weather.

I always drive with the rear seats folded down to create a nice, usable cargo area. I rarely carry rear seat passengers because of the inconvenience of ingress and egress, especially when parked next to a vehicle or wall.
Eh, I don't really agree-- I use the back seat all the time. My wife sits behind me and we have a car seat in the passenger side rear seat.

Is getting in the back marginally more of a pain? Sure. Are we put out by this? Nope.

The back seat situation climate situation has never been an issue for us, either-- it's small cabin, and preconditioning means we almost never get into it hot or cold.

qsch

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:35 am

Obioban wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:48 am
From a salt/rust perspective, i3 seems like a great match-- there's almost nothing to rust!

The BEV also needs far, far less repairs than "normal" cars, which seems like a good match to living on an island with limited part availability. I would get the newest version you can afford, as earlier cars always, in every chassis, are less reliable than later cars.
alohart wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm
qsch wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:38 am
Now I drive a 1950 Series 1 Landrover, but I need something contemporary for clients (I run a real estate biz), and moving around the island quickly and comfortably.
Unless you never need to transport more than 1 client, an i3 would not be ideal with its narrow suicide rear doors that cannot be opened unless the front door on its side is open. Anyone sitting in the front seat must remove his/her seatbelt before the rear door is opened. There are no A/C vents in the rear and the rear windows cannot be opened, so the rear can become uncomfortably warm in warm weather.

I always drive with the rear seats folded down to create a nice, usable cargo area. I rarely carry rear seat passengers because of the inconvenience of ingress and egress, especially when parked next to a vehicle or wall.
Eh, I don't really agree-- I use the back seat all the time. My wife sits behind me and we have a car seat in the passenger side rear seat.

Is getting in the back marginally more of a pain? Sure. Are we put out by this? Nope.

The back seat situation climate situation has never been an issue for us, either-- it's small cabin, and preconditioning means we almost never get into it hot or cold.
Thanks, seems like could work really great! One question the air conditioning and fact that the rear windows do not open. Is this a problem if its hot around 30C and would it be too hot for passengers in the back? We live close to the equator and temperatures are steady between 27 - 33C usually.

Obioban

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:40 am

AC works great, but you'll have to crank the fan for the back seat passengers since there's no rear vents.

Every time we take the car as a family, my wife and baby are in the back seat, with the dog and me up front. It's been hitting 36-39 C around here recently. Never had any back seat comfort complaints, and the AC uses remarkably little power. I always leave it running when we go into a store (you can select this each time you turn the car off), and if you come back 20 min later, most of the time the battery hasn't gone down by a single percent.

jadnashuanh

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:03 pm

Your car may or may not be supported with the connected app on your island. If it is, it's easy to use your phone to tell the car to cool off before you get to it. If you have a regular schedule, or know what it will be for your next trip, you can set a departure time in the car (or from the app, if it works there), and both the batteries and the car will be preconditioned for maximum comfort and range when you get in.

BMW sells a car cover that helps. It covers the front windshield, and the roof up to and including the front door windows. That helps keep the interior cooler and the UV fading effects down. It probably lowers the interior temperature about 10C or so, and is better than just a windshield shade.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

bwilson4web

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:51 pm

I would add that you can reprogram the car so the "panic" button turns on air conditioning. This is great for places where cell phone coverage is weak. Also, it you hold down the unlock button, the car will roll down the windows which gets the initial slug of hot cabin air out.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”