thinking of purchase 2017 i3 w/REX, PARKING ASSISTANCE & TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy3153

What are your experiences?

I am thinking of looking for REX, Parking Assistance and Technology package on a CERTIFIED, PRE-OWNED 2017 BMW i3.

What options do you have and wish you would have purchased?

How many miles are you getting out of your batteries?

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Thanx

I have a 2018 i3s REX which has the same range as a 2017. I average around 110-120 miles on my batteries driving to work and back. I rarely have to use the REX when I take a slightly different route. I use adaptive cruise every morning and afternoon; while it isn't a fantastic system is is WELL worth the package cost!

Things I wished I had found in my i3: Harmon Kardon stereo, sunroof and Giga interior. I am fixing the stereo problem and got an old set of Giga door panels/center armrest to fix the 'sea of gray'. Sunroof would be nice when cruising around on the weekend as the windows cause weird pressure noises.

Otherwise I am extremely happy with my car. Range and interior are my biggest complaints. :)

FWIW, running above 25mph is more efficient with the a/c on than opening windows with it off. Now, that won't do anything for your wind in the face enjoyment, but is maybe one reason why more effort wasn't paid to minimize any other effects of having the windows open at speed.

I do prefer the Giga interior other than the fact the carpets require cleaning more often as they do show the dirt. I think all of them now come with a backup camera, but when I bought mine, it was only available as an option, and I need it since I'm not particularly flexible to be able to 'see' behind me. If you regularly listen to music versus talk shows, you may want the upgraded entertainment system, and I do think the professional nav's larger screen is worth the cost. The adaptive cruise control uses a camera, and it will shut off under certain lighting situations. You can then switch it to a conventional CC, if you want, or usually, just acknowledging the alert and resuming often works. Low sun angles and bright sun with deep shadows can confuse it, and it will shut down. I didn't think that I'd like it, but now, having used it on the i3, will have it on my next vehicle. LIDAR or RADAR would overcome some of the deficiencies of the camera based system, but that only intrudes rarely for me...depending on where and when you drive, you may or may not see it, or the frequency may not be a big deal. I can usually anticipate when it's going to happen.

I went with all the options + Tera (leather), minus the REX, and 19" wheels rather than the 20s due to the difference in ride (though I'm not entirely sure how much of that was imagined!).

I'm a huge fan of the Giga interior. It really takes the i3 up a level. But the light carpet + kids pointed me back to the practicality of the leather. And after purchasing and handling a charging cable for the first time, I realized the light Giga steering wheel would quickly become blemished if I didn't have a ready supply of baby wipes in the center console.

I went back and forth on the sunroof, I knew it would increase the heat load of the car in summer, but like the feeling of openness it creates, especially with my dark interior. But more importantly, the sunroof makes the roof less jiggly, and since I'm getting suction cup crossbars for my roof rack, I wanted as stable a mounting surface as I could get.

I like the sunroof and the upgraded stereo. I sacrificed the fancier interiors to get that and the tech + nav + parking. And the sunroof is cool with the "his and hers" (or his/his or hers/hers shades like a t-top). But do keep in mind that the sunshade in the sunroof is really just a shade -- it doesn't 100% block light and heat. I can totally feel 12 O'Clock noon beating thru on my bald head in the summer.

And pay attention to your wheels. If you get snow/ice and/or temps below the mid 40s (F) in winter, the 20" rims run summer-only tires. You do not want to see what regenerative braking does on glare ice with non M+S rated tires.

jadnashuanh said:
I do prefer the Giga interior other than the fact the carpets require cleaning more often as they do show the dirt.
Our 2014 Giga BEV has black carpets that do not show dirt. Does your Giga have light-colored carpets as at least one of the trim levels does?

I solved the problem of dirty and worn OEM carpets. Mine are stored on a shelf in the garage, replaced with these. Waterproof rubber back, don't show dirt, easy to shake out, easy to just hose off, good-looking PVC coil/loop surface that isn't slippery - doesn't look like an empty cat-litter tray, doesn't compress or mat, and wears like iron. Mine are almost a year old, and still look brand new. With OEM charcoal carpets, I went with their gray/black mix color choice, it matches the charcoal interior trim and looks almost OEM.

Custom front and back for the i3. Made in USA by Broadfeet Motorsports.

Mat 1.jpg
Mat 2.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadfeet-Floor-Mats-for-2014-2016-BMW-i3-All-Weather-Custom-Carpet-Liner-3pcs/141830192080?fits=Model%3Ai3%7CMake%3ABMW&hash=item2105bcfbd0:m:m5-fJJRMVuxgfYimm1zHYlw

MKH said:
I solved the problem of dirty and worn OEM carpets. Mine are stored on a shelf in the garage, replaced with these. Waterproof rubber back, don't show dirt, easy to shake out, easy to just hose off, good-looking PVC coil/loop surface that isn't slippery - doesn't look like an empty cat-litter tray, doesn't compress or mat, and wears like iron. Mine are almost a year old, and still look brand new. With OEM charcoal carpets, I went with their gray/black mix color choice, it matches the charcoal interior trim and looks almost OEM.

Mat 1.jpg
Mat 2.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadfeet-Floor-Mats-for-2014-2016-BMW-i3-All-Weather-Custom-Carpet-Liner-3pcs/141830192080?fits=Model%3Ai3%7CMake%3ABMW&hash=item2105bcfbd0:m:m5-fJJRMVuxgfYimm1zHYlw

Those are wild! hahaha

alohart said:
jadnashuanh said:
I do prefer the Giga interior other than the fact the carpets require cleaning more often as they do show the dirt.
Our 2014 Giga BEV has black carpets that do not show dirt. Does your Giga have light-colored carpets as at least one of the trim levels does?

Mine came with the light carpets.

MKH said:

Thanks for the idea and link!

Got everything I wanted on mine. Unfortunately the Value Package doesn't have LED headlights which makes me one of the few who don't have that "feature". Kinda sucks, but I'm happy with the other add-ons, particularly the interior Deka World color.

As far as the battery? I had mine replaced at maybe 40k miles. It might have to do with the use of a dash cam that I installed but I won't be able to say for certain. Covered under warranty luckily. BMW battery requires it to be registered so even if you access the battery on your own and physically replace it, you'll still need BMW to authorized dealer to register it with the car. Most people just have the dealer do it for that reason.

I too am in the market for a 2017. it seems like the prices are all over the place. I found one small dealership that has one in Los Angeles that I fell in love with, however he won't work with my finance company.

https://www.topline168.com/vehicle-details/used-2017-bmw-i3-range-ext-mega-08/16-techdriving-assist/-park-assist-monterey-park-ca-id-29339086

It seems to be WAAAAY under the price of the other i3's that I have found. What do you guys think ?

Won't work with your finance company? I'm not even sure what he means by that. The website says it's been in their inventory since March. He should be itching to get rid of this if it's been there that long. My Spidey sense is tingling.

Back