Fuel additives for REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deutsch100

Since many of us with the REX option almost primarily drive on pure electric and rarely engage REX, is it at all recommended to add octane preserver to the gasoline tank?

I have NOT done this, but would love some feedback, opinions or a definitive answer ;) Thanks!

I use Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in every gasoline-powered engine that I own. (I prefer to run 100 LL AVGAS in engines without catalytic converters, but my supply has been cut off by local politics.) They sell a 4-ounce bottle, which is good for 10 gallons (2.5 gallons per ounce) and should store easily in the frunk between fillups.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up another bottle of Sta-Bil for when I put the race car back into the trailer for the winter.....

Can't hurt - since the E-10 additive in most gasoline tends to pull in water, though the pressurized fuel tank is supposed to limit that.
I use PRI-G fuel stabilizer for small engines. PRI-G is what the Military uses in fuel stores that may sit unused for years.

Thanks Vreihen & MKH. I actually got a hold of my Service Advisor at my local BMW dealer. He said adding a fuel/octane stabilizer/preserver is not necessary, but a GOOD idea!

A gas station pretty close to us, just starting offering 100 octane racing fuel...but they want $8.50 gallon. Don't know if this would even be good for the i3 motorcycle engine that powers the battery generator. Honestly a little surprised a So. California station would offer 100 octane!

Many of the racing fuels are leaded...not something you want in a vehicle using fully synthetic oil, or a catalytic converter. Doesn't help the long-term health of the spark plugs, either.

Yeah, Thanks Jim. I was not clear with my wording, my fault. I should have said REX powering the generator, not actually running on REX.

I was actually noodling this at work today and had an idea that should work like a charm.
I went to Walmart and purchased 2 Gumout fuel injector cleaner bottles. 1 was for my wife's gasser and I saved the empty bottle. It's a really small bottle.
I took the 2nd bottle and measured 0.5 oz into the now empty other bottle. I also mixed in 1 oz of Sta-bil. Now I have a premixed bottle sitting and waiting in the frunk for the next fill-up.
I won't always use the cleaner but it's a new to me i3 and I want to make sure all is good.
Anyway, just an idea...

Back