BimmerCode vs something better

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkH

Can someone please let me know the sort of things that BimmerCode can't do that a more elaborate system can.

I'm trying to figure out what option it might make sense for me to get.
I understand that a BimmerCode adapter will cost around $50. What does the app cost?

I believe the other options are a few hundred - and want to understand a bit about what extra capabilities they have.

They may be able to read engineering data like battery temperature, cell/module voltages, oil pressure, and spark advance (for REx.)

Bob Wilson

MarkH said:
I understand that a BimmerCode adapter will cost around $50.
That seems too high. I bought my OBD-WiFi adapter for ~$20 from Amazon. However, that was a couple of years ago.

MarkH said:
What does the app cost?
The license fee for the iOS version was $27. The Android version was a bit more expensive.

If you want to go down the pirated software rabbit-hole, an ENET cable is about $15 and you can do everything including adding software features/options that your car didn't come with (like TJA). Not for the faint of heart, and certainly way more dangerous than Bimmercode if you make a mistake.....

OK, thanks for the replies.
I was talking NZ$ - so maybe about right.
Is the $27 an annual or a one-off fee?

With the BimmerCode, can you read error codes?
Can you re-set them?

vreihen's reply is right, it can be done with Esys but is a lot of sweat and risk - the software is on MegaNZ and the cable NZ$15 at ebay.com/itm/322552801164

I did it this way because someone said the NZ maps wont work on a Japan spec car
This is still a work in progress

I believe iCarly is a similar app to BimmerCode

Actually if you just want to reset codes an ordinary OBD2 bluetooth dongle and App called ELM327 should do

Bimmercode cannot do OBD-II diagnostics or clear codes, but the dongle that it needs can be used with other software since that is actually what it is intended to be used for.....

Thanks for your replies.
I've ordered a VeePeek ODB thingy from eBay and will take it from there.
Won't be trying anything that might cause me break my i3 !

I have both, Bimmercode and Esys.

Bimmercode is good for fast coding some gadgets, with Esys you can do a lot more, there is plenty of reading stuff about that subject on
the www. A good starting point is bmwcoding.com.

I have Bimmercode working with my Veepeak BLE ODB through an Android phone.
Works well.
A review I read said that CarScanner was a good app for reading and resetting error codes.
I have installed it but it doesn't appear to be compatible with the i3.

This thread mentions ESYS, but I can't find that on Google Play and suspect that it is more a laptop programme.
Are there other scan tool apps (for Android) that are suitable?

Trying to find a way to turn off the warning sound associated with the rear (or any) parking sensors.

MarkH said:
I have Bimmercode working with my Veepeak BLE ODB through an Android phone.
Works well.
A review I read said that CarScanner was a good app for reading and resetting error codes.
I have installed it but it doesn't appear to be compatible with the i3.

This thread mentions ESYS, but I can't find that on Google Play and suspect that it is more a laptop programme.
Are there other scan tool apps (for Android) that are suitable?

Trying to find a way to turn off the warning sound associated with the rear (or any) parking sensors.

Esys is a pc / laptop program, take a look here for more info : bmwcoding.com.

Back