Rubber trunk mat

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthebold

Is anybody using a grippy rubber trunk mat that they like? I see that there's a Weather Tech custom fit one, anybody got that or another one they like? My groceries really slide around in back even if I'm driving like I've got my Mom sitting next to me with a crock pot of chili for the pot luck in her lap!

I have the weathertech one with the flap that rolls out to protect the bumper. It seems okay but has a coating that makes it a bit slippery. There are little grooves in the surface that can help with the sliding.

I went to home depot and got a piece of 1/4" thick rubber and had it cut to fit the trunk space with the back seat folded down. That one works pretty well.

Since we use the i3 for our small business, I had an aluminum box made that fits inside the rear area when the seat is folded down and keeps our tools and other items contained. This is made out of checker plating. I can slide it out if I need the rear seats.

If you want to keep the pot of chili upright, maybe some rubbermaid containers can be found to fit the space and provide walls to capture just about anything.

Check Weathertech for their CargoTech addons to see if that is what you might be looking for.

Got one off of amazon 25$, (Aired it out for a few days, had a light rubber smell). Trimmed to size, fit/look/function is perfect. very grippy.

FYI if anyone else is interested, my local Costco has brought weathertech mats, 4 piece set for interior for 25 or 30$. I've paid 100$+ in the past for these. They are super thick, very heavy, absolutely no smell, and it might be my imagination, but it seems they cut a bit of noise or deadened noise in car after installation.

You could make some hooks that go around the straps on either side to capture the loops in the bags to keep them upright and from sliding around, at least much.

I have the Weathertech one but I don't think it'll help with the problem you're having. I would advise to get a hook that attaches to the back of the headrest. You can then hang groceries or bags of whatever w/o worry that it'll tip over. You can also get a net that covers the entire trunk. The trunk already has D-rings for this purpose.

BMW makes a cargo mat specifically for the i3, with a non-slip/textured rubberized surface that fits the cargo area (rear seats up) perfectly. It also folds up into a cargo box to help keep groceries, etc. from sliding around. Though we solved the sliding/falling over grocery bag issue with folding grocery carriers we just take into the grocery store with us- and work great. Easy for the baggers to pack, and no more squashed bread/produce, etc. and no more cans rolling around, or bottles falling over/spilling (had a milk carton fall over and leak in a previous car - made a huge mess).
Cargo Cover Flat.jpg

Cargo Cover Folded.jpg

Grocery Bags.jpg

Mine mats are BMW rubber with a stich white cnter and blue outline. I would like to buy the matching rear and trunk mat any idea where I might find them.

Thanks Mike

I have found the moulded plastic come rubber boot liner from my wife's previous car, a Toyota Yaris MY 2015, fits almost perfectly. Nice lip around it to catch any spillages God forbid.

I like the Weathertech mat because you can still use the rubber straps in the floor. There are holes you can cut if desired, and it still remains mostly waterproof. The may does curl a little bit towards the latch area, but its fine.

Went with Weathertec nice tight fit, but very thin. Good for capturing spills, but don't think it will help for any real sound dampening.
Wish the Maxpider 3d made a matching cargo mat.

Back