Bimmercode App REX ‘hold mode’ enablement step by step

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robot24

In the middle of playing with the bimmercode app on my 2017 Rex and I am observing the bunch of error messages I read on a variety of postings, but I can’t really find an easy step by step guide, anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

If you are in a hurry, DVDinmotion solution. So simple i was able to do it myself. Even if i still fumble with the Bimmercode solution. Been using it since three years and i never had any issue with it.

You receive a file by email, copy it to a USB stick, put the USB stick in the USB of the i3, and it's done.

http://dvdinmotion.com/bmw-i3-special

I just did mine yesterday. I used the guide from the FB I3 group which can be found here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WCF3FbD3U6G_0k4f107EkoiVbEX0SPbbmvcelDQSSGk/edit

I did get a few errors when the console reset but they cleared on a vehicle restart.

On a side note I was initially confused on why I couldn't enable hold mode after coding it. It was greyed out and would not let me enable it. A few preconditions are needed. You have to be exited from the Bimmercode App, Vechile cant be plugged in, Vechile must be "Started" and battery level must be BELOW 75%.

I really dug into the options after doing the simple stuff. I turned down the heat seat setting by 5 degrees as the standard heat setting on even the lowest was too hot for me. Great app if you dont mind doing a bit of research and the price is 1/3 of the DVDinmotion even with the OBD adapter.

Thanks for the link, just completed coding of all features i want to have. I’ll start playing with the hold mode now :D

Hold mode works great, except I’m stop and go traffic since the engine keeps stopping at every traffic light and I also noticed that it doesn’t “hold”charge, it surely continues to drain the battery, just less. I hope at highway speed at continued motor operation it indeed does hold charge. Will give that a shot..

Robot24 said:
Hold mode works great, except I’m stop and go traffic since the engine keeps stopping at every traffic light and I also noticed that it doesn’t “hold”charge, it surely continues to drain the battery, just less. I hope at highway speed at continued motor operation it indeed does hold charge. Will give that a shot..

It is definitely NOT capable of keeping up with power usage when the car is using anywhere near a full load. That being said I have found it keeps it within 2-3% if I keep the speed below 75MPH and no heating. It also seems to catch back up with more stop and go traffic and lower speeds.

Think of it this way...the car has a 170hp motor, then, it's also running the lights, computers, hvac and the REx is what, 34hp, and the conversion to electricity is not 100%. Certainly, you are not using the full 170hp of the motor very often, if ever, but the load goes up as a factor of V^2. There will be times when the REx cannot keep up with the load, and that's what the batteries help to buffer...the bigger the buffer, the longer you can do it...but, depending on the conditions, you may deplete them, regardless of when you turn the REx on. Crank the heat or a/c up higher, go faster, hit a long uphill grade, run high-beams, seat heaters, rear window defrost, etc., the load just keeps adding up...and it isn't all that much before you're in the negative area and discharging verses charging (but at a slower rate than you would without it!). Then, the computer won't let the REx run at full throttle all of the time, and even shuts it off when the conditions are set...the batteries can and will run down. If your trip does not need those higher loads, yes, you can maintain. Given the nominal 34-40mpg efficiency of maintaining, verses the 100+mpge, if running with it constantly on a longer trip, you may get better mileage with an ICE or other hybrid. The REx is not the most efficient option out there. Now, I'm not a fan of say a Prius, but if you're running primarily on the REx in hold mode on a longer trip and unable to recharge along the way, the Prius would beat it by a fairly significant percentage.

Resurrection of an ancient thread but has anyone noticed the inability to turn off HSOC after using about 15 minutes? After codingHSOC with a veepak in basic mode, I programmed the favorites 8 key for HSOC. I activate HSOC when I hit the freeway for about 10 miles. I can turn it on and off initially without any issues. I exit the freeway and try to turn off HSOC but it remains on whether I press the favorites 8 or through the iDrive menu. I know sometimes there's a delay but I've waited about 5 minutes before pulling over and turning off the car.

Should I re-code with expert mode?

No, everything is perfectly normal. Once you hit the button to stop the Rex, it shuts off according to it's own schedule, probably heat related. Personally, when I'm running mine on the interstate, I usually push the button to shut it off when I see my exit sign. I'll immediately hear the engine slow down, and the few minutes left on my trip are usually enough for the engine to shut down.

nichris143 said:
Resurrection of an ancient thread but has anyone noticed the inability to turn off HSOC after using about 15 minutes? After codingHSOC with a veepak in basic mode, I programmed the favorites 8 key for HSOC. I activate HSOC when I hit the freeway for about 10 miles. I can turn it on and off initially without any issues. I exit the freeway and try to turn off HSOC but it remains on whether I press the favorites 8 or through the iDrive menu. I know sometimes there's a delay but I've waited about 5 minutes before pulling over and turning off the car.

Are you seeing the box w/ check mark not being able to be unchecked?

joni3s said:
nichris143 said:

Correct. I see the checked box option but pressing the shortcut #8 or selecting it from the idrive menu doesn’t uncheck HSOC even after waiting up to 5 minutes. Only was I was able to turn off HSOC was to shut off the car.

nichris143 said:
joni3s said:
nichris143 said:

Correct. I see the checked box option but pressing the shortcut #8 or selecting it from the idrive menu doesn’t uncheck HSOC even after waiting up to 5 minutes. Only was I was able to turn off HSOC was to shut off the car.

i wish i could help, i've seen that behavior too though just once. usually i let rex stay on till i make a next stop. i dont know what the conditions need to exist for it to stay checked on like that or turn off.

joni3s said:
nichris143 said:
joni3s said:

i wish i could help, i've seen that behavior too though just once. usually i let rex stay on till i make a next stop. i dont know what the conditions need to exist for it to stay checked on like that or turn off.

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Probably not the issue, but once the REx turns on, it will run long enough to fully warm up, regardless of what else you try to do. That can vary based on the ambient conditions...i.e., it won't take as long to fully warm up when it's 80F out versus 20. The idea is that when an engine is started up cold, there's lots of moisture produced that can stay liquid until everything get significantly warmer...that can cause issues in both the engine itself and the exhaust system.

Back