Deutsch100

BMW says i3 REX is done!!

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:40 am

2019 i3 Sport Rex. Capparis White/Frozen Blue. 20" black wheels. Tech & Driving Assit Pkg, Moonroof. Deka World.

alohart

Re: BMW says i3 REX is done!!

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:34 am

Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

jadnashuanh

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:00 pm

The engineers didn't want it in the beginning, it was pushed by marketing. IMHO, if they really did want it, they would have made other design considerations and probably made a higher output engine as part of the scheme so there wouldn't be a power deficit under some common situations, or at least fewer of them...and, probably had a larger fuel tank. It doesn't surprise me that they're eliminating it, at least in some markets. Since the engineering is already done, it doesn't cost them all that much to keep it, except where the emissions standards may be getting stricter (the rest of the world's requirements on this seems to be outpacing those in the US, but only having to match up to one country's standards is easier than many).
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Deutsch100

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:06 am

Thanks aloha and nadna! I like the "safety blanket" feeling having my Rex, but I have only used it one time on its own, meaning I did not try and purposely drain my battery and use the Range Extender. On a full charge I get between 130-150+ miles, so the Rex is not that needed for me.

If I were to buy or order an i3 today, I would NOT choose the Rex. Speaking of this, does anyone know when the 2020 i3 will drop? I believe there are no changes for 2020, but it is now basically Dec 2019 and the BMW website still shows 2019 and what small inventory is at dealers is of course only 2019.
2019 i3 Sport Rex. Capparis White/Frozen Blue. 20" black wheels. Tech & Driving Assit Pkg, Moonroof. Deka World.

arodi3

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:45 pm

I think the REX is a great option and would be sad to see it go. There is no way I would have bought an i3 without it.

jadnashuanh

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Most people that have owned a REx seem to say they never really use it. So, considering you're carrying around over 300# of stuff, increasing the wear on the rear tires, decreasing efficiency because of the weight, decreasing the acceleration, and adding maintenance issues, unless you REALLY need it, it seems to me, it's a poor choice. For the increase in price, you could rent a lot of days to get you on longer trips and likely still be ahead of the game.
Jim DeBruycker

Deutsch100

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:29 pm

I do agree with you jadna! I got the Rex mainly due to the devastating fires we had in Nov. 2018. Many of our areas had no power for weeks, but we could get to a few semi local gas stations. Charging at home would have been impossible in a BEV i3, but I figured the Rex would give me security! As much as I love my '19 i3S, my next electric car will be 100% electric only!

Fisher99

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:31 pm

Ditto arodi3. Wouldn't have bought such a short range electric without the REX. It will take a true 250-300 Mike range to get me to buy a BEV. Meaning I need that range cruising at 75 while running the heat or AC. Right now that means a Tesla Model 3 long Range. And then just barely.

But different strokes for different folks. I can understand that there are many who can easily get by with shorter battery range.

arodi3

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Yeah, just going to the dog park, the gym, then making it to my parents' in time for Thanksgiving would have required some planning in a ~70 mile BEV, or a lengthy L2 pitstop. No problem with the REX. I used the REX about 5-10% of the time, but for me, it is totally worth it since the i3 is my only car and I don't like the idea of the "battery camel" approach. Even with its limitations, the REX has got me through a few unexpected turns like a girlfriend moving to San Antonio (I live in Austin) without much sacrifice. Renting a car for trips like that is a non-starter and even if BMW would have a solid "flexible mobility" program, the dealers would have a no-dog policy, which wouldn't work for me. Plus, it is nice to be able to hop in your car and go, without making phone calls, scheduling, dealing with availability, etc.

I'd prefer a Mr. Fusion, but the REX really adds a lot to the i3, imho.

jadnashuanh

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:19 pm

In a one-car family, the REx can work. My personal experience even with my BEV is that about the time the battery is nearly discharged, I'm ready to get out of it, so a longer range wouldn't be a very useful thing.

As a one-car family, I'm toying with the new X5, as it has a large enough battery so I'd not be needing the engine most of the time, and with it, unlimited range with quick refills at any gas station along the way.

One engineer says he can make a non-rechargeable, but quickly replaceable, aluminum-air battery that could go about 1500-miles between replacements which would clip in and out. No nasty environmental chemical issues as hopefully, we won't run out of air, and aluminum is one of the most plentiful elements on the planet. It has about 8-9x higher energy content than LiOn batteries.
Jim DeBruycker

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”