Steering issues

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnKelly

I took my 2015 i3 in for steering problems and they say they have identified an issue and that there will be a recall when they figure out how to fix the software. My car sometimes feels like you have to constantly correct and the steering is a little too stiff so it ends up being more work to keep it in the lane than it should be. My first i3 did not have have this problem. I also had the somewhat frequently reported issue of the steering suddenly getting very stiff and pulling to one side like I had a flat tire. It went away after restarting. All this after I had an alignment to make sure that was not the issue. They will notify me when they have a fix worked out. The service guy was skeptical about my claims because they could not identify a problem by driving it... but when I came to pick it up he assured me that they had found the problem, so that's nice : )

I too experienced this today and was freaked out by lack of steering!! Turned ignition on and off all ok

BMW dismissive on phone say not sure what it can be

I woukd really appreciate if you can share with me what the dealer thought was broke etc

Many thanx

I would appreciate knowing more about this as well, was your squeaking for any period of time before this happened?

I had the same problem where the car suddenly pulled to the right at about 45 mph. At first I thought it was a flat tire but when I pulled over turning it off and on again when I inspected the tire seemed to correct the problem. I took the car to the dealer the next day and they couldn't replicate. My dealer service notes state: "...brought down the high voltage system. Performed a complete vehicle software update". This was about a year ago and I haven't had any problems since.

If you're getting noises when turning the steering wheel check https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10150906-9999.pdf. This seems to happen every year when it starts to get cold. The dealer notes state "SI B32 03 15 related. Lubricated the plastic bearing in the spindle gator per SI B".

I sold my 2015 I3 for that exact reason after a dog ran out on at 60 mph. I just bought a new 2019 and BMW did rectify the steering problem. Wheel center now has a distinct hard center position which takes some effort to overcome which really helps to prevent unwanted steering inputs. For the most part she is never going to steer like a low profile car with normal size tires thanks to her tall bulky design.

Mike

I have the BMW i3 2015 and today I experienced the same issue. Steering became extremely stiff and it pulled hard to one side. I am lucky I didn’t go off the street. Curious if BMW looked at anyone’s car? What was the remedy? This doesn’t sound like a singular event. What did you all do? Worried about taking it on the highway like this.

This has happened a couple of time for both my i3s. Once you turn the car off and on again, it goes away and doesn't return for another year or so.

Maybe this software update could help?

"Power-assisted Steering Intermittently Not Available at Engine Start-up"
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171488-9999.pdf

Back