BMW Connect app - shipping across country and tracking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARi3

Just purchased my 2nd i3 (2017 BEV), found one in my price range in CA and having it shipped to VA. I've been checking the BMW Connect app to track its progress. Does anyone know how often the app updates the car position? The car just started moving today and so far I saw it get 'stuck' at 2 separate locations in CA for a few hours... Never had a car shipped before, so it's possible that the shipper is still collecting cars before heading out east. Anyone done this and could chime in?

Rob
'14 i3 BEV

I dont know anything about the BMW CD app, but I have had several car shipped and Yes it's possible that the driver is still collecting cars.

Keep in mind that the shipper often hires an independent truck driver, and that driver could be picking up for several shipper, plus have is own stops he may want to make along the way.

Its cool that you can track it at all.

Looks like he’s finally out of Cali and heading East. GPS shows him on I-40 east of Albuquerque, NM. I think the app only updates when the car is not in motion - as every update was at a gas station/rest area. 1,765 more miles to go so probably 3 more days. Wish this car had 3D view capability!

-Rob

ARi3 said:
I think the app only updates when the car is not in motion - as every update was at a gas station/rest area.

That's how it works when it's moving under its own power. Position updates are sent when it stops moving. You can't stalk your spouse in real time . . . ;)

It is interesting to know that it behaves the same way while being transported. I suppose it makes sense, but I'd never considered the case.

ARi3 said:
Looks like he’s finally out of Cali and heading East. GPS shows him on I-40 east of Albuquerque, NM. I think the app only updates when the car is not in motion - as every update was at a gas station/rest area. 1,765 more miles to go so probably 3 more days. Wish this car had 3D view capability!

-Rob

Where in VA will you be driving the i3? I haven't seen too many driving around Northern VA. I can count them on one hand (maybe 2 hands ).

joni3s said:
Where in VA will you be driving the i3? I haven't seen too many driving around Northern VA. I can count them on one hand (maybe 2 hands ).

I’m in Reston VA. I’ve seen a few of them here and there. But you’re right - not that many, it appears that the west coast has most of them.

ARi3 said:
joni3s said:

I’m in Reston VA. I’ve seen a few of them here and there. But you’re right - not that many, it appears that the west coast has most of them.

Nice, I'm driving my kids around that area almost daily for after school activities.

So my new i3 finally arrived last night, and after being transported in an open carrier cross country, it needed a wash pretty bad. Couple of thing I learned through this process - the BMW Connect app works differently for i3 (and perhaps i8 cars) than for non-i cars... For my 2015 X5, I can refresh its location at will, and provided that car is not in motion - I will get its current location. For the i3 there is no refresh option! The app updates the car's GPS location on its own rules and it appears that if the car is not turned on, it will assume that the car is still in the same spot. I only got 4 updates through the entire journey, 3 in California when the car was initially loaded, and subsequently moved around on the carrier as other vehicles were being loaded, once in New Mexico (another reshuffle?) and then no updates until the car got unloaded at my house.

As far as transporting the car cross country - I guess it depends on the driver, this guy provided no updates until calling me 2 hrs before the actual arrival to schedule the drop off (8pm on a Saturday night). The car made it undamaged, so it worked out ok, but not having daily updates or real-time tracking in this day and age was a bit frustrating.

KarlC said:
Its great you got it,tell us more about what you bought and why all the way on another coast ?

Just looking at 2018 sales data - with 153k EV sales in California compared to only 6k in VA... there is a lot more cars to chose from. I was looking for a specific color (blue or grey), mileage (under 15k), options (fully loaded), CPO and late 2017 production date. And of course price was a factor, it made sense even with the additional shipping cost. It appears I got lucky, as the car is in mint shape!

Back