Auto climate button & AC on

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joni3s

So I've noticed for a while and just learned that according to the manual, "The cooling function [A/C] is switched on automatically with the AUTO program [button]." if I understand the manual correctly.

In the cooler temps outside, are i3 owners not using AUTO as the climate control feature? Sometimes I feel like it does heat, other times I can feel cool air coming out of the vents. What should I be doing?

Is A/C part of a systems concept I don't fully yet understand?

Mine is set to 64F and AUTO with the AC on all the time. Let the climate control computer earn its keep figuring out whether it needs to use the heat or AC to reach my desired set temperature.....

vreihen said:
Mine is set to 64F and AUTO with the AC on all the time. Let the climate control computer earn its keep figuring out whether it needs to use the heat or AC to reach my desired set temperature.....

That's what I was thinking/and have been doing, but once it dropped below 40F here in VA, it seems to pushing cold air when I set it to 64-68F and once I set it to 70F it appears to blow warm air, but it's 40F outside.

I keep mine on AUTO 70F for the ENTIRE year, with temps ranging from 28F to 115F outside.

AUTO climate (with A/C active) will cool, heat and dehumidify as needed. No fiddling with any buttons. Works amazingly well in my '19 i3.

All 3 of my vehicles, including my i3, have the AUTO function. I don't use it in any of them. Don't ask me why. Just a control freak I guess... :D

joni3s said:
That's what I was thinking/and have been doing, but once it dropped below 40F here in VA, it seems to pushing cold air when I set it to 64-68F and once I set it to 70F it appears to blow warm air, but it's 40F outside.

Do you have pre-condition for departure set? If so, it uses a fixed temperature of 72F (I think) for that function. If you hit the start button with the temperature set at 64F, it will blow cold air no matter what the outside temperature is.....

vreihen said:
joni3s said:

Do you have pre-condition for departure set? If so, it uses a fixed temperature of 72F (I think) for that function. If you hit the start button with the temperature set at 64F, it will blow cold air no matter what the outside temperature is.....

That could be it, i don’t have enough experience and data collected. just thought it was weird to always see A/C lit.

i don’t have a scheduled precondition set, but once in a while set it from the app or bmw skill on alexa.

Does Auto also always include Auto air cabin recirculation?

I typically leave mine at 68 in the winter. One of the things I've noticed is when I park it in the sun on a 50 degree day, the interior will get warmer than 68. So when I get in and start it, it will blow cold air to try to cool it down to my set temperature. Maybe that's what you're experiencing?

jfran2 said:
I typically leave mine at 68 in the winter. One of the things I've noticed is when I park it in the sun on a 50 degree day, the interior will get warmer than 68. So when I get in and start it, it will blow cold air to try to cool it down to my set temperature. Maybe that's what you're experiencing?

Ya, it's these cases where "AUTO" is a little too smart for its own good.

So this AM, i specifically set the pre-departure climatization, got in the car 10 mins later and as I turned up the temp from 66F to at about 70-72F, the cold air did stop blowing.

I wonder if the climatization temp set is codable.

When in auto, the fan function is more of an aggressiveness adjustment. Setting the mode to one of the ECO ones will affect how aggressively the car tries to maintain. The car is smart enough to notice the windows fogging up, and even if the a/c is off, can turn it back on to help dry the air. BMW has said that driving with the windows down above 25mph and the a/c off is less efficient than letting it run with the windows closed because of the additional drag from having them open. The sliding adjustment on the vents will offset the temperature out of them either warmer or colder than normal, so, say it's set to blue end, it will be cold, pretty much regardless of where you have the thermostat. That can offset say the heat from the sun on a cold day where you want your feet warm, but some cooler air in your face.

jadnashuanh said:
When in auto, the fan function is more of an aggressiveness adjustment. Setting the mode to one of the ECO ones will affect how aggressively the car tries to maintain. The car is smart enough to notice the windows fogging up, and even if the a/c is off, can turn it back on to help dry the air. BMW has said that driving with the windows down above 25mph and the a/c off is less efficient than letting it run with the windows closed because of the additional drag from having them open. The sliding adjustment on the vents will offset the temperature out of them either warmer or colder than normal, so, say it's set to blue end, it will be cold, pretty much regardless of where you have the thermostat. That can offset say the heat from the sun on a cold day where you want your feet warm, but some cooler air in your face.

does i3 climate have this sliding adjustment blue/red? i dont recall, but ive read about it on other bmw models.

My wife's 5 series has the blue/red on the vents and works exactly as he stated. However, my 2014 i3 does not have blue/red. The vent controls simply turn the vents on/off. Maybe it was an option on a higher trim level on the i3. Mine is a Giga. Maybe on the Tera?

Fisher99 said:
My wife's 5 series has the blue/red on the vents and works exactly as he stated. However, my 2014 i3 does not have blue/red. The vent controls simply turn the vents on/off. Maybe it was an option on a higher trim level on the i3. Mine is a Giga. Maybe on the Tera?

I have an 2018 tera interior and it's still just a sliding open/closed system.

Maybe it’s just my 2019 i3 but the Auto function does not adjust the fan. I mean, I have to graduate it manually, is that right? I’m a newbie on this car but my previous Audi did everything (temperature + fan) when Auto was on...

The car will adjust the fan, but maybe not to your liking. IN that case, you can adjust it manually.

Also, FWIW, the car will also sense if the windows are fogging up, and turn on the a/c, even it you've manually turned it off to help dehumidify the air unless it is too cold outside for it to function properly.

Sometimes, the car is too smart. But, once you've got it dialed in to what you like, mine, at least, seems to do a pretty good job. Keep in mind that the i3 is trying to manage power, so it might choose a less aggressive reaction to temperatures than a more typical similar system in an ICE.

SOme try to save energy by shutting the a/c off in the summer and running around with the windows open...BMW has stated that over 25mph, the drag induced by having the windows open is greater hit on economy than running the a/c. It might be useful initially to flush the super heated air after being parked in the sun, but once that's done, shut them, and let the HVAC do its thing.

Amstel said:
Maybe it’s just my 2019 i3 but the Auto function does not manage the fan. I mean, I have to graduate it manually, is that right? I’m a newbie on this car but my previous Audi did everything (temperature + fan) when Auto was on...

The fan is "managed," but I was happily surprised to find that Auto mode stays engaged even after a manual adjustment is made to the blower speed. On many other cars with Auto climate function, the Auto indicator turns off once a control is touched, which I assume means the system has reverted to manual control.

One control the i3 sorely lacks is coordination between the blower and the Bluetooth phone. The Tahoe I drive at work automatically quiets the noisy fan when a call is made or received, and makes a much appreciated difference.

jadnashuanh said:
The car will adjust the fan, but maybe not to your liking. IN that case, you can adjust it manually.

Also, FWIW, the car will also sense if the windows are fogging up, and turn on the a/c, even it you've manually turned it off to help dehumidify the air unless it is too cold outside for it to function properly.

Sometimes, the car is too smart. But, once you've got it dialed in to what you like, mine, at least, seems to do a pretty good job. Keep in mind that the i3 is trying to manage power, so it might choose a less aggressive reaction to temperatures than a more typical similar system in an ICE.

SOme try to save energy by shutting the a/c off in the summer and running around with the windows open...BMW has stated that over 25mph, the drag induced by having the windows open is greater hit on economy than running the a/c. It might be useful initially to flush the super heated air after being parked in the sun, but once that's done, shut them, and let the HVAC do its thing.
Wow, that is a smart system. I was afraid that is was more basic as I always see it on the minimum, but will definitely take a look at its behavior. Thanks!

eNate said:
Amstel said:
Maybe it’s just my 2019 i3 but the Auto function does not manage the fan. I mean, I have to graduate it manually, is that right? I’m a newbie on this car but my previous Audi did everything (temperature + fan) when Auto was on...

The fan is "managed," but I was happily surprised to find that Auto mode stays engaged even after a manual adjustment is made to the blower speed. On many other cars with Auto climate function, the Auto indicator turns off once a control is touched, which I assume means the system has reverted to manual control.

One control the i3 sorely lacks is coordination between the blower and the Bluetooth phone. The Tahoe I drive at work automatically quiets the noisy fan when a call is made or received, and makes a much appreciated difference.
thats great! That was my “complaint” as on my old car whenever you changed the fan speed auto would un trigger.

Back