12V battery

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 2015 BMW i3 Rex, its looks to be 1st sold in 1/2016, so far we have not had any 12V battery issues that we know of but I am thinking we should replace it sooner that latter.

I plan a DIY so what the current best 12V battery, and can it be bought on Amazon ?

Thx.

None on Amazon.

It takes the AUX18L Deka/Remy brand battery made by East Penn Manufacturing only - no substitutes. They have distribution warehouses around the country the battery can be purchased at over the counter. In the San Diego area:
East Penn
2709 Via Orange Way
Suite B
Spring Valley, 2709 Via Orange Way 92108
Phone: 619-660-0016

You can also buy it online here: https://www.remybattery.com//start-stop-aux18l-auxiliary-battery.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA6bvwBRBbEiwAUER6Jb-VQ0ZrshlAJYvWf4tG4PaC081Lcup7vtIL_G12fR8mhgG-YvfICRoCVKsQAvD_BwE.

If you look at the label of the original battery, you will see the 'E.P.M. Products' (East Penn Manufacturing), and the address of their headquarters - 1 Deka Road, Lyon Station, Penn.

View attachment Deka.jpg

What is the marks that shows that the 12v battery has a problem i am having a icon showing about the battery discharging while stopped and is the 12 v battery has any relation about the car's charge ? Because it sopped while iwas driving it while it has 7 kms left!

What is the marks that shows that the 12v battery has a problem i am having a icon showing about the battery discharging while stopped and is the 12 v battery has any relation about the car's charge ? Because it sopped while iwas driving it while it has 7 kms left!

If the 12vdc battery is toast, you won't be able to use the vehicle at all! All of the lights, computers, locks, etc., rely on the 12vdc battery. Once the vehicle IS in ready mode, the main battery comes into the picture and will try to maintain that 12vdc battery, but that only happens if the car is in ready, or can get there. Well, there is some stuff going on while charging with an EVSE, but charging the main batteries can't happen unless the 12vdc one is sufficiently charged, either. FWIW, there is a bypass, trickle charge emergency mode to try to get the 12vdc battery voltage back up, but it can take awhile...until that happens, you can't charge the main batteries or drive the thing.

People have reported all sorts of weird issues when their 12vdc battery was getting marginal. If yours is getting more than 4-years old, it might be time to consider replacing it before it fails. I should do that to mine, but haven't yet.

jadnashuanh said:
Once the vehicle IS in ready mode, the main battery comes into the picture and will try to maintain that 12vdc battery, but that only happens if the car is in ready, or can get there.
Actually, the high-voltage system including the DC-DC converter that charges the 12 V battery is turned on when an i3 enters any of its 3 states:

• radio readiness: some electronic systems/power consumers are ready for operation
  • operating readiness: all electronic systems/power consumers are ready for operation
  • drive readiness: all vehicle systems are ready for operation

So if the 12 V battery is charged enough to allow the doors, frunk, or hatch to be unlocked or opened, charging of the 12 V battery would commence as shown on the 12 V voltmeter installed in the auxiliary power port below the center of our i3's dashboard.

During COVID-19's stay at home period, I've been taking advantage of this fact to keep our i3's 12 V charged by sending a door unlock followed by a door lock command from the BMW Connected app. Our i3 is parked 2 floors down and ~150' away from our apartment in our apartment's parking garage, so unlocking/locking the doors in person is not as convenient.

I bought the Remy AUX18L from https://www.remybattery.com/start-stop-aux18l-auxiliary-battery.html. The price is $121.95 but shipping and handling (to Massachusetts) brought the total to $140.20

Amazon has a "Replacement For Deka Aux18l This Item Is Not Manufactured By Deka" for $338.23

Walmart.com shows the Deka AUX18L as "Out of Stock" at $303.26

Back