‘14 BEV insulation faults, 22280F & 21F0E3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benrk

Hi there,

On my beloved 2014 BEV with 47tkm I got the dreaded drivetrain malfunction error, relevant codes are 22280F “HV power management: HV battery, insulation fault” and 21F0E3 “Insulation monitoring - Insulation fault in the entire system (closed contactors)” Both codes have equivalents with slightly different numbers “warning” instead of “fault”

No warranty, usually fixing my cars myself, if anyone has something useful to contribute, please fire away. Past experiences with these codes, literature on the codes, all is welcome.

TIA, Ben

Found these:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/MC-10148189-9999.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10151374-9999.pdf

"The cause of an isolation fault is generally a resistance between HV+ or HV- and the shield/chassis
ground, which is below a predetermined threshold."

"The following procedure addresses these faults when caused by a defect in the cable between the
HV battery and the EME"

Moisture in the connections of that cable, causing a Drive Train error, has come up before.

Hi there,

On my beloved 2014 BEV with 47tkm I got the dreaded drivetrain malfunction error, relevant codes are 22280F “HV power management: HV battery, insulation fault” and 21F0E3 “Insulation monitoring - Insulation fault in the entire system (closed contactors)” Both codes have equivalents with slightly different numbers “warning” instead of “fault”

No warranty, usually fixing my cars myself, if anyone has something useful to contribute, please fire away. Past experiences with these codes, literature on the codes, all is welcome.

TIA, Ben
Ben, I'm at the same point with my 2015 REX with same errors, work on my own stuff and would really appreciate knowing how you made out with this issue? (BTW, I'm in central Ontario which has had a pretty wet start this winter so I can't help but think its related)

Ben, I'm at the same point with my 2015 REX with same errors, work on my own stuff and would really appreciate knowing how you made out with this issue? (BTW, I'm in central Ontario which has had a pretty wet start this winter so I can't help but think its related)
Any updates

Back