ConnectedDrive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, all of the current status information and most of the functions on the Connected Drive app work EXCEPT for remotely setting a departure time, activating a charging schedule and the Climatize Now function. For those functions/commands, I get a timeout error message after a couple of minutes stating that the command could not be executed. Clearly, my vehicle is communicating with the BMW servers, but it is puzzling why some features are working but others do not. I am considering pulling the fuse and resetting the cellular modem, but I am concerned that it might make the situation worse.

Pull the fuse and let us know if this resolves the issue. Although I'm not an expert, I can't imagine that pulling the fuse would cause you any issues. It's definitely what I plan to do if (more likely "when") mine starts failing again. And for what it's worth, when mine fails, it fails in exactly the same way as yours does.

I am happy to report that I pulled Fuse 115 and allowed the cellular modem to reboot. Now, all remote app functions are WORKING, including the ones that previously were not functioning for me.

symonray said:
I am happy to report that I pulled Fuse 115 and allowed the cellular modem to reboot. Now, all remote app functions are WORKING, including the ones that previously were not functioning for me.
Congratulations! It seems that the software running on the Telematic Communications box is buggy and can get into a state in which only part of its functionality works correctly. Or maybe there are several different functions each with its own software and at least one software process can hang preventing its functionality from working. Rebooting by briefly removing fuse 115 restores normal operation at least temporarily.

It is a shame that BMW i3 owners have to resort to pulling fuses in order to make certain aspects of their vehicles function correctly, but alas that is the situation we presently face.

symonray said:

Excellent! Thanks for testing and reporting back.

symonray said:
Interesting. From the problems you described, that seems to indicate that the inbound connection becomes flakey or broken, blocking remote services from operating, but still allowing the vehicle to report condition changes in outbound traffic to the BMW server.

I guess if the problem recurs frequently enough you could install a fuse extender harness with bypass switch, the kind sold for vehicles often being towed . . .

Back