imolazhp

Re: Improve aerodynamics for better mpK

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:56 am

Lower and add rear wheel skirts, might not be pretty (the wheel skirts) but would help with drag.

ecoangel

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 am

It was built to a price. CdA is actually no better than a 1990s Toyota Camry.

Lowering any car reduces effective frontal area no matter how badly designed the undertray is.

For down-force without a drag penalty then yes a flat bottom with proper diffuser is the way forward for race cars.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ecoangel/a2
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ecoangel/a3

ecoangel

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 am

Nice pics Art,

Any more developments?
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ecoangel/a2
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ecoangel/a3

electronchaser

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:19 pm

ecoangel wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 am
It was built to a price. CdA is actually no better than a 1990s Toyota Camry.

Lowering any car reduces effective frontal area no matter how badly designed the undertray is.

For down-force without a drag penalty then yes a flat bottom with proper diffuser is the way forward for race cars.
Hi ecoangel, sorry for bringing up an older thread, but I've been thinking about lowering the car on a new set of sports springs, which give about a 2cm drop up front. How much would a 20mm lowering reduce the frontal area, and thus drag. ( have one of the redesigned i3's with the new front end, 120ah ).

Many Thanks!
Am I trashing it?, absolutely, but with love, like every other BMW I've owned.
Rondel stands for something, and I fully utilize all the non neutered abilities its got.
Takeaway. This is an amazing piece of engineering. And I'm not impressed with 'stuff'

Bertone

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Re-opening this topic...

I believe the front of the i3 could have been made more aerodynamic by the BMW engineers.

If you look at the area between the front headlights and "kidneys", it is not a very smooth surface...in fact air will flow between the headlight and kidney and be trapped under the frunk area producing drag.

Perhaps those "holes" could be "filled" with, for instance, polystyrene to form a smooth surface. Also the kidneys can be made more smooth "filling them up"..

The difficulty is to make a perfect fit...but polystyrene is a light and easy-to-work with-material so perhaps it is doable.

What do you think? Just a crazy idea....??
2017 94Ah

Boxbrownie

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 pm

Bertone wrote:
Re-opening this topic...

I believe the front of the i3 could have been made more aerodynamic by the BMW engineers.

If you look at the area between the front headlights and "kidneys", it is not a very smooth surface...in fact air will flow between the headlight and kidney and be trapped under the frunk area producing drag.

Perhaps those "holes" could be "filled" with, for instance, polystyrene to form a smooth surface. Also the kidneys can be made more smooth "filling them up"..

The difficulty is to make a perfect fit...but polystyrene is a light and easy-to-work with-material so perhaps it is doable.

Don’t forget to tape over all the shut lines also :lol:
Best regards........David

If anything in my post offends you please let me know, I may wish to offend you again. ;)

eNate

Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Bertone wrote:

Careful there, or we'll be all driving Honda Insight look-alikes! :D
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

alohart

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:39 pm

eNate wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm
Careful there, or we'll be all driving Honda Insight look-alikes! :D
Having owned a 2000 Honda Insight for 15 wonderful years, I resemble that comment :lol:
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

robthebold

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:44 am

Boxbrownie wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 pm
Bertone wrote:
Re-opening this topic...

Don’t forget to tape over all the shut lines also :lol:
I think caulk would be even better, combined with taking a green sharpie to the edges of the windows.

PVEVman

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:00 pm

Just rip off the side mirrors and use cameras. Put the screens in the corners of your dashboard and you should have better rear view vision too, without dead zones!

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”