lack of power from stop so annoying

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a history to this.
The i3 will not jolt like other EVs at 0 stopped. i do not know about i3s with sport mode
apparently before the i3 was lunched , all the motors failed and had to be replaced in the lease only BMW Active E electric car ,
Then BMW tweaked software from then onward for a gradual acceleration , and that has carried over in i3.

I do have to say that it's not as quick off the line as my Volt was. That thing was really quick off the line. There is hesitation with the i3s...it ramps up...and frankly SPORT and COMFORT mode don't see discernable at all. Which is surprising to me.

The strength of this car is its midrange acceleration. It's very quick a say 30-40 MPH and you progressively floor it. I've noticed that if I just floor it, it bogs down. But if I have step into it, it is much quicker.

I had a Chevy Spark EV for 3 years...that thing was an absolute ROCKET....especially in midrange. I don't know how many really quick cars I've taken down with that thing it was phenomenal. Off the line though, it was a slug.

In i3 acceleration did not keep pace with the increases in battery, so the bottleneck is the motor
in fact , added weight reduced performance. while in most others, bigger battery increased performance , as mostly bottleneck is battery

For the reference
Heat dissipation is a major issue . from what i gather
i3 - motor surrounded by cooling tubes
Bolt - cooling tubes inside the motor
Tesla - cooling oil dipped inside the motor.

Old subject, I know... but my 2015 BEV had much better acceleration before I took it in for warranty service, and part of the service was a software update... this has been verified from many owners.

The mentioned motor failures in the lease only "experimental" predecessor was due to roller bearing failures under low speed high torque conditions. The later i3s motors had this problem fixed with a redesign of the bearing, by using a tapered roller... if memory serves me.

It's easily capable of MUCH better low speed performance, but is software limited for warranty claim minimization. How they avoided a class action law suit for changing the advertised performance of our cars <after> they were sold escapes me.

I didn't read every word of this thread electronchaser, but I would be very curious if you see a difference putting the car in roller mode.

Back