i3 Motor Mounts, switch to Aluminum?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panamamike

Does anyone know when BMW started using the aluminum motor mounts? I thought it was exclusive to the 2014 model year, but I have read some of the 2015 models are also affected. Info would be much appreciated.

panamamike said:
Wow, that would mean almost all 2015's have the plastic motor mounts.
Probably all 2015's have the reinforced nylon/plastic/non-metal/whatever motor mount. However, since a stronger mounting bolt and modified traction control software were installed, the number of broken bolt/mount reports has plummeted, so I'm not as concerned about this problem as I once was. Our 2014 BEV is probably quicker than those with the heavier aluminum motor mount :D

You think the plastic motor mounts with modified bolts are as reliable as the aluminum? Meaning the spec is good enough to hold up? Wonder why they switched if the bolt mod was sufficient.

panamamike said:
You think the plastic motor mounts with modified bolts are as reliable as the aluminum? Meaning the spec is good enough to hold up? Wonder why they switched if the bolt mod was sufficient.
I have read of only a couple of broken plastic motor mounts; the original motor mount bolt was the weak point. That said, I haven't read of any broken aluminum motor mounts, so I suspect that the aluminum version is stronger but heavier.

Maybe BMW feels that a larger motor mount bolt is preferable. However, a larger bolt could not used with the plastic mount. Rather than merely redesigning the plastic mount to accept a larger bolt, the redesigned mount with a larger bolt was made from aluminum rather than plastic to reduce the probability of future mount problems. All guesswork on my part.

Back