Only get a white light when plug in L2 Charger.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRPH

Once before I had a problem with this. I plug in the car- and the light just stays white. Once before this happened and if I jiggled the plug it would connect- usually after a couple of tries. At that time the dealer looked at it when I mentioned it during a service appt. and the problem disappeared. Today I went to charge the car and it connected on the third try. After going out, I cannot get to charge at all now. I plug in the charger- the light stays white, I hear a humming noise, the plug icon shows on the dashboard- but it is not charging. I did make sure it is set to charge immediately. If it matters I can tell you it is ~ 20 degrees out, and my 12 volt battery is original - but I've seen no other warnings that it is failing. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Is this your personal EVSE? Or has it happened on multiple L2 units? Does it charge OK using your L1 Occasional-Use Charger?

Just trying to troubleshoot whether it's the car, L2 EVSEs in particular, or the specific charging plug you happen to be having this problem with.

Personal EVSE. Have not tried another EVSE at this point; and while there is one relatively close would prefer not having to give that one a go- it's by a movie theater and often blocked; car is not that charged at this point. L1 would be an option to try- and at this point I'll give it a try tomorrow. Regular EVSE is a Chargepoint- actually shows it is connected in the app but it does not start to charge.

Tried my OUC and it instantly connected ( port turned orange --> blue). So it must be something to do with either the cable or the EVSE. The EVSE is a ChargePoint and the cable is permanently connected. So I guess my next move is to contact ChargePoint as it seems to be something with their charger. At this point it looks like I will be contacting them. If anybody has any further suggestions I'm open to them, otherwise I'll post the resolution here ( if and when) just for future reference for the group.

I would still plug in to a different L2 EVSE, just to absolutely eliminate the possibility of this being an issue with your i3 being able to receive 240v. I doubt this is the case, but it's possible. Have you inspected your charging port for signs of wear or damage?

The problem is most likely the J1772 connector on the end of your EVSE's cable. It's replaceable. I see them listed for $60. But there's still the matter of figuring out whether it's the connector, or the unit's electronics that aren't working. But I'd expect if it's something in the box causing the problem, you'd see a fault code.

Plugged into a local L2 free charger. Charged perfectly. I believe it is the charging handle. Looking at the port closely I see a lot of fine copper shavings and also some on the charging handle. I'm going to spray with compressed air, clean with some alcohol, spray some contact cleaner and hope for the best. I'm not sure about just replacing the handle- it looks easier to replace the cord and the handle; I have to look into it. Even if cleaning it works, might buy one to have as a spare. I'm also going to mount my L1 OUC on the wall so I don't have to look around for it the next time and it is ready to go.

RonRPH said:
I'm not sure about just replacing the handle- it looks easier to replace the cord and the handle; I have to look into it.

I didn't price it out, but I'm assuming adding the cord could significantly add to the cost?

Here's a step-by-step write-up with photos on another forum by a user who replaced their connector. If anything, this goes to show that there are probably different styles to choose from that may make replacement easier.

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/repair-j1772-connector.2066/

Posting this for information. Wound up cleaning the pins on the car and charge handle. First I used some compressed air to blow both out. Then I used rubbing alcohol and a medical type q-tip applicator. I tried to find the little brushes for cleaning electrical contacts ( Home Depot) without any luck. Searched for pipe cleaners locally- again without any luck. The q-tips came back with a blackish type coating. After that I sprayed them with contact cleaner. So far now the car has charged perfectly. I was a bit worried when I read some reviews https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-Replacement-Charging-Station-Included/dp/B00YJFHF8M/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1NEWVVM4N1U2&keywords=chargepoint&qid=1580045843&s=automotive&sprefix=chargepoint%2Cautomotive%2C135&sr=1-6&th=1 of the ChargePoint handle, but so far so good.

Back