eNate

Carrying Cargo 'n Things in Our i3's...

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:42 pm

Coming into i3 ownership from a larger car, one of my pre-purchase concerns was decreased usability for day-to-day tasks that require carrying stuff that might be out of the ordinary. So I'm starting this thread in hopes that we can share some of the more unusual loads our i3's have carried.

I'll start with something simple: propane cylinders.

These things are heavy when they're full, and not something I want knocking around in my hatch. It took me a couple of tries to come with a solid yet simple solution, and here it is.

All that's required is a 4-foot nylon strap, about 3/4" wide, something you'd find at an outdoor store for lashing things to a backpack. And I picked up a couple of soft rubber Wundermax door stops from Amazon. I won't declare the door stops essential, but they certainly take some of the stress off the strap and hard points.

I use the child seat anchor at the back of the passenger seat in combination with the rear corner cargo tie-down loop. After that, it's easy-peasy, and I just nudge the cylinder up a little bit to make sure it's resting solidly on the wedges.

Last edited by eNate on Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

robthebold

Re: Carrying Cargo 'n Things in My i3...

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:55 pm

I've found the box that holds 10 reams of copier/printer paper (empty, of course) perfect to stabilize an otherwise squirrelly LPG tank in the trunk.

robthebold

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:09 pm

A bale of straw for my Halloween decor. Ya, the privacy hidey flap thing closes completely!

Fisher99

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:50 am

A 5kw generator (in the box), but I don't have pics.

But a bale of hay??? Who can compete with that??? :D
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

eNate

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:20 pm

Fisher99 wrote:

Wait, isn't a 5kW generator called a REX? :D

So am I mistaken? I didn't find many posts regarding "bikes" or "bicycles" searching this forum, so surely I'm not looking hard enough.

Today I rode my folding Xootr Swift to pick up my i3 from service. The Swift has 20" wheels and isn't a compact folder like a Dahon or Brompton, but I was nevertheless surprised how much space it took up. Upon arriving home, I took a few pictures, of it laying down, of it standing up, and for comparison, I stuffed a "regular" bicycle in to see how well it fit.

The normal-sized bike in the photos is a "large" 19" frame with 700x40c rubber, so equivalent to a fat tired road bike or gravel bike. These are larger diameter wheels (+tires) than most anything other than a 29" mountain bike. The wheelbase is a longish 1125mm -- in between many road bikes (shorter) and mountain bikes (longer) of similar sized-frames. With the front passenger seat forward and the seatback upright, this bike barely fit -- the wide "mountain bike style" flat bars had the grip just touching the rear glass when I closed the hatch. Point being, I think most road bikes and 27.5 or 26" mountain bikes ought to fit -- laying like this -- with a little more room, but large-framed 29" mountain bikes will probably pose a problem.

(...and yes, lowering the seatpost, loosening / offsetting the stem, and removing the rear wheel would of course all help the cause!)

Xootr Swift

Xootr Swift upright

2015 Raleigh Misceo iE, 700c / 19"

Last edited by eNate on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fisher99

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:58 pm

eNate wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:20 pm
Fisher99 wrote:

Wait, isn't a 5kW generator called a REX? :D

[snip]
Well, technically, since mine is an ie/REX, it would be a backup REX... :D
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

robthebold

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 pm

I managed to fit an 8.5 foot by 4" cardboard tube in the car. You've gotta fold down both rear seats to get it on the diagonal between the front seats and under the console, but it's possible. A front passenger would need to shift his/her feet a little maybe, but not to the point of discomfort. (If you need closure on that anecdote, the tube contained an 8 foot long strip of tile transition ramp for matching uneven floor surfaces -- special order at Home Depot. I only needed 30 inches, but 8 foot is what it comes in.)

eNate

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 pm

robthebold wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 pm

I managed to fit an 8.5 foot by 4" cardboard tube ...

Darn! I used to just squeeze 10' copper into my allroad, kind of like you're describing, except resting on the passenger side corner of the dash. I hadn't really thought about it until your post. Shoot. It's either going to be out the i3's window, on the roof, in in the Flex.

robthebold

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:33 pm

eNate wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 pm

Darn! I used to just squeeze 10' copper into my allroad, kind of like you're describing, except resting on the passenger side corner of the dash. I hadn't really thought about it until your post. Shoot. It's either going to be out the i3's window, on the roof, in in the Flex.
You might still get it in with the front passenger seat fully reclined. I'd give it 60/40 odds that it would fit corner to corner.

clasqm

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:30 am

Essential i3 accessory: a cargo net! Basically a net made of bungee straps. I bought this one at a motorcycle shop some years back. It fits perfectly with the four rings in the boot and stops your shopping from rolling around

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”