i3 s regenerative breaking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arm said:
I thought over the air updates are now included? Seems to be with my vehicle.
What year is your i3? Earlier i3's have 3G data radios which would make the very large system software updates quite slow. Maybe recent i3's have 4G data radios which would make a wireless update much faster. However, with many different modules from different manufacturers being updated, apparently the updates can fail which is one reason why updates haven't been wireless in the past.

Tesla is able to provide wireless updates because it apparently writes most or maybe all of its software thus not depending on other manufacturers for software that might have compatibility problems with other software.

alohart said:
Arm said:
I thought over the air updates are now included? Seems to be with my vehicle.
What year is your i3? Earlier i3's have 3G data radios which would make the very large system software updates quite slow. Maybe recent i3's have 4G data radios which would make a wireless update much faster. However, with many different modules from different manufacturers being updated, apparently the updates can fail which is one reason why updates haven't been wireless in the past.

Tesla is able to provide wireless updates because it apparently writes most or maybe all of its software thus not depending on other manufacturers for software that might have compatibility problems with other software.

Mine is a 2019 i3s. I've not actually seen an update take place but then again the manual states that updates are transparent. However, the settings are there in my iDrive menu. I do know iDrive updates are via USB...and very confusing as far as different versions are concerned.

Leave it to the Germans to take something simple and make it extremely complicated.

Newer vehicles have nav and entertainment system's OTA updates, but not sure that also applies to the more complex operational modules.

I have an early 2014 i3. When it was first delivered, the regen was quite a bit more aggressive. People complained because they were driving it like a normal car, letting off the go pedal to then hover over the brake if needed. The aggressive regen made that a major neck snapping ride. BMW decided to temper the regen in a subsequent update. So, while it is a software adjustable parameter, it isn't one that people have found using things like BimmerCode and other systems. Someone said it was varied from a value of 27 to 24, but I have no direct knowledge of the facts, just hearsay.

It was also possible to tailgate the car behind if ACC disconnected in low sun and the accelator pedal wasn’t fully guarded. I recall that the firmware update was rolled out in Autumn/Fall 2015.

Back