Dash lights strange blinking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panamamike

I've noticed some of my dash lights will blink unexpectedly. The lights don't blink at an expected cadence but an odd rate. Seems to happen on acceleration or deceleration. Anyone else see this kind of behavior?

Well, I found a video on youtube with the same issue, looks like there are a few different reasons why this might happen and none are good. :(

My 2014 Rex has been doing this for over a year or two. Some of the dash LEDs are off when they should be on and some flicker from time to time. The associated functions do not seem to be affected when this happens. I've learned to ignore it for now, sometimes I can press the associated button which will restore normal behavior. I'm interested in what others who are experiencing this with their i3s to find out if there is a fix. I'll have to check but I think I had this put on a work order when my car was under warranty so I might be able to get it fixed in the future under warranty.

Neil said:
I'm interested in what others who are experiencing this with their i3s to find out if there is a fix.
This problem has been reported fairly often, unfortunately. A few i3 owners have replaced the LED's on the climate control circuit board (soldering required) which fixed the problem. BMW's fix is to replace the circuit board which is fairly expensive if not under warranty. So defective LED's seems to be the problem, not the functioning of the circuit board.

alohart said:
Neil said:
I'm interested in what others who are experiencing this with their i3s to find out if there is a fix.
This problem has been reported fairly often, unfortunately. A few i3 owners have replaced the LED's on the climate control circuit board (soldering required) which fixed the problem. BMW's fix is to replace the circuit board which is fairly expensive if not under warranty. So defective LED's seems to be the problem, not the functioning of the circuit board.

Thanks Alohart!

Do you know of any links which show the procedure to remove the climate control circuit board and which LEDs to use? I am adept at soldering and I'd rather not take it to the dealer if it's not too difficult.

alohart said:
Neil said:

Awesome! That makes me feel better as they were reporting some other reasons on the youtube video.
So from a functional perspective I shouldn't be concerned? Is there a TSB or something I can refer the dealer to?

Neil said:
Do you know of any links which show the procedure to remove the climate control circuit board and which LEDs to use? I am adept at soldering and I'd rather not take it to the dealer if it's not too difficult.
My search skills have failed :( Maybe yours are better.

I recall that a European i3 owner removed the climate control circuit board, unsoldered the LED's, and soldered replacements. He reported the model and very low cost of the replacement LED's. I recall thinking that my soldering iron might be too large for such a delicate operation.

panamamike said:
So from a functional perspective I shouldn't be concerned? Is there a TSB or something I can refer the dealer to?
Those who have reported this problem don't seem to have reported any functional problem, so it seems that the LED's are the problem.

I haven't experienced this problem so have no personal knowledge of a TSB.

For what it's worth, the dealer's fix would be replacement of the circuit board rather than the LED's.

alohart said:
panamamike said:
Those who have reported this problem don't seem to have reported any functional problem, so it seems that the LED's are the problem.

I haven't experienced this problem so have no personal knowledge of a TSB.

For what it's worth, the dealer's fix would be replacement of the circuit board rather than the LED's.

We will see. Will take it in and see if they take the correct course of action. Any suggestions on how to guide them to the answer if they don't figure it out?

Back