i3 REX (2015) locking and unlocking by itself while driving

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeeston

Recently my 2015 i3 REX started unlocking and relocking by itself while driving. Seems to happen primarily during low speed cornering. Also, the right passenger rear door sensor will intermittently say the door is open (when it's not) also when cornering. The sensor will show the door closed after straightening out.

Vehicle is a CPO so I'll be taking it to the dealer for diagnosis.

Anyone else come across this? Searching this forum did not bring up anything.

Thanks

Almost certainly your key in your pocket. It's dumb-- never experienced this behavior in any other comfort access car. I've even set off the alarm via the fob while driving.

The buttons on the key should do nothing while the car is on. I don't know why they thought anything else made sense.

I thought it could be that, and while I do like tight pants (TMI), it's not the case. Drove to work today with the key fob on the passenger seat and the issue recurred. Unlocking and then relocking without any driver input. Going over (speed) bumps or around corners seems to trigger it and also causes the rear passenger door sensor to trip, which the keyfob would not cause. Next thing to try will be taking the battery out of the keyfob or try driving using the other keyfob.

Obioban said:
The buttons on the key should do nothing while the car is on. I don't know why they thought anything else made sense.

Holy Moly! That's crazy... I've never had a car that responded to remote commands while the ignition is on. Huh!

rebeeston said:
Next thing to try will be taking the battery out of the keyfob or try driving using the other keyfob.

I suppose that couldn't hurt to try, but I'd plan to go straight to unplugging the lock / window controls at each door if you're going to begin diagnosing. But you said you have CPO coverage, so I presume you're headed to the dealer next?

I would suppose that if it is rodent-caused damage, it won't be covered by the warranty. Fingers crossed for you it's just a jiggly loose contact in one of the switches. But the fact that you're also getting the rear door indication and the trunk release... wow, maybe some higher level controller?

Obioban said:
That's a special feature for North American i3 drivers so that we can sound the burglar alarm siren while driving :lol:

I have the same problem with my 2017. I had the same problem with my last one, 2014 too. I thought it was my 12v battery causing it, but I just had it changed after it bricked my car, a month ago, but it started unlocking again yesterday. Seems to unlock on turns and locks when I stop and take off again. I also have the auto park on this car and it turn itself on at random times, but only when the locks are acting up. Both are very random and can stop for weeks or months. I took it to the dealer about a year ago and the did a software upgrade which I thought worked, but it came back. I have a month left on my warranty, so I am going to try again with them.

Hi, my 2016 REx has just started doing exactly this.

I suspect an issue with the car, like the drivers door switch or a sensor, not the key which is sitting on the passenger seat minding its own business.

OP did you get to the bottom of the problem?

It's the machines man. They are getting smarter and smarter, now they are testing to check boundries to prepare....

maximum%20overdrive-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

No, I never got to the bottom of the problem. I just went away on it's own and has not recurred since the original posting.

Hi, OK thanks. Mine is doing it all the way through the journey - turning tight rights sets it off mainly. I have the post purchase warranty and so will report back when the fault is found.

Mine doesn't lock/unlock when I'm driving, but oddly enough it does lock/unlock when I am washing it. Even with the keyfob not in my pocket. I don't even have to be washing on or near the comfort access "buttons" on the door handles. Often it happens when I'm washing the front wheels. Really strange, but I've gotten used to just ignoring it.

Just to close the loop, the problem continued and then usefully I started getting a door open alert for rear left door too. I cleaned up all the latches and gave the spring loaded sensor some exercise, and shut the door like my kids do (like a bull elephant that took a run-up) - and the problem is gone. I think the door has just been unused by the PO..the rear is as new.

So all’s well. Loving the car, using the REx loads..

The rear doors on the i3 have two latches, one at the top and one at the bottom so that door is very secure to hold the front door and seat belts. So, while it can look and maybe feel closed when only one is fully latched, they both may not be. You don't have to slam the rear door, but you do need to be affirmative when doing it. Some weird things can happen when the vehicle thinks a door is open.

Back