spartacus68

Re: Fed up with my 94ah REX - 6 weeks!!

Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:49 am

Diesels have had their day. If you think the depreciation on a i3 REx is bad, buy a new Euro 6 compliant car and watch its residual value plummet.

You can't compare the i3 to other cars you've had. In some ways it's a compromise. It will never have the handling of a turbo diesel. I used to run an A4 Quattro Avant V6. Only 150bhp, but that was the sweetest engine I've driven. I also run an Audi Allroad as I haul a trailer, but it's Euro 5, so no Adblue. I also have a full copy of VCDS, and I'm at the limit of my knowledge with sensors, so something to be aware of.

My wife runs her i3 REx as her daily runner. She swapped from an A2 TDI that I'd maintained for years. It was a quirky car, aluminium chassis, very frugal running costs, no rear wash wipe due to rear spoiler, and the entire bonnet needed to be removed to service it.

My wife has the older genereration (15 plate i3 REx) and loves it. I bought a full set of winter wheels and tyres. They'll stay on until the end of April. Also purchased a type 2 charger lead as more shopping centres are introducing charging points and wide parking bays. She does a 50 mile commute, so enough charge from home to work. As soon as she's home it goes back on charge, we have a wall charger.

Running costs. It came with what remained of BMW's 3 year warranty. In the year it was under warranty, all that went wrong was a fuel pressure sensor fault, and front suspension gaiters were replaced (torn).

I now service it. Oil change every year including filter, air and pollen filters, lube hinges. Pollen filter is a pain to fit. Brake fluid every 2 years. Air con recharge again every 2 years. Brakes, periodic check. The pads should outlive the car!

Stick with it is my advice.

bwilson4web

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:56 am

xrayman wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:54 pm
. . .
Any comments welcome. (Thought I'd create a new thread)
We have two cars:
  • 2014 BMW i3-REx, 42,211 mi, bought May 26, 2016 ($2.90/100 miles)
  • 2019 Std. Rng. Plus Model 3, 16,837 mi, bought March 27, 2019 ($2.50/100 miles)
If your requirements are met by a diesel, go with God. I'm sure the next owner of your BMW i3-REx will appreciate it. Please let them know we're here to help them maximize their return on investment.

In our case, both cars:
  • maximum acceleration all the time - unlike the 100s of moving parts in a diesel or gas engine, the 3 moving parts of any EV are not worn out by maximum acceleration.
  • 1/2 the cost of a Prius per mile, 1/4th the cost of a diesel - retired, cheap miles allow us to drive where ever we want and not choose between a cheap McDonalds burger and tank of gas or a Whopper meal and 1/3d free charging.
  • short coupled steering - when I think that I want to be there in traffic and suddenly I am.
If you prefer a slow, stinky, noisy, expensive to operate, and maintain diesel that meets your requirements ... go with my blessing. You have too much money and need time apart.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Arm

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:13 pm

xrayman wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:54 pm
Well it's been a few weeks, and mixed feelings about the car. But overall negative. Doesn't quite feel as 'solid' as my previous 3 litre diesel, nor is the build quality up to scratch. Don't like the harsh ride and vibration/shudder over potholes and the silent drive from starting.

Also hate the fact that I'm constantly looking at the range/% and it's making me obsessed with hypermiling. Also the front windscreen always gets fogged up!! Also quite put off by the fact that we are almost forced into buying an extended warranty due to the potential astronomic repair costs ... And these do tend to go wrong.. any potential fuel savings may not be significant after all.

I do like the fact that I can charge it at work free and don't have to visit petrol stations much. I miss the torque and acceleration of my previous car however.
So few pros and more cons.

No faults yet. But let's see.

I'm seriously considering going back to ICE, probably BMW diesel. I will of course wait until the year is up so I don't get hit too hard with the depreciation.

Not quite sure what to go for, but probably a 320d (can get up to 60 mpg). Don't think EVs are for me.. although it's early days and I'm keeping an open mind.

Any comments welcome. (Thought I'd create a new thread)

Thanks.

I've been driving EVs for over 5 years now. I've driven more miles since I've been driving EV than any other car I've ever owned. The fact that I don't need to go to a fuel station anymore is...that alone...worth any issue I have with an EV...which has been none.

Unless you absolutely have no choice but to drive a regular car, I think it's sheer madness to burn fuel today to drive around. There is no logical reason for it anymore other than you absolutely have no choice because humans aren't capable of going somewhere else without it.

I do 99.99% of my driving with EVs now. That weekend or week long trip that I have to go elsewhere that my EV wont' take me....then yeah...I fly, I drive a regular car. But the rest of the time...WHY??

Driving an ICE today and making the argument that one needs the range is akin to me saying I'll walk around with a backpack that has 10 gallons of water "just in case" I get lost or have to go hiking one day. The rest of the time I'm carrying it around for no reason.

The marketing teams and psychologists that corporations have hired to push their products and agendas has worked like a charm on the general public. EV myths and negative press are shining examples of this.

Plus this extra cost argument. It's funny....we are willing to pay more for just about anything that is better...food, clothing, holidays, etc...but when it comes to cars and better tech...suddenly extra costs are taboo. I'm OK with paying a premium for better tech, clean tech, something that I can get behind and know it's a positive for the environment.

What is missing in the cost equation is the HUGE amounts of money we are forced to spend to prop up the fossil fuel industries, the war industry, the military, and lining the pockets of corrupt politicians who support these entities. Knowing my energy comes from local sources and not supporting goons in the military and intelligence agencies is a huge contributing factor for my decisions to go electric and be environmentally conscious. I want my future and my kids future to be a positive one..not one filled with conflict. I know...this is going deeper than this thread probably should go but it's all tied together. I just want people to understand the underlying reasons for choosing an EV for me....besides the fact that they a hoot to drive.

JohnKelly

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:33 am

Well said!
2015 REX / Participating on plugshare w/level 2 Clipper Creek 32 amp, Moclips, Washington coast

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”