Torn dust cover - shock absorber

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
panamamike said:
My rears haven't and I haven't seen many complaints about the rears tearing. Good to know there's an updated part number. Part number indicated for my repair was BM31-33-6-852-223. I didn't see an index reference.

The parts guys at BMW Northwest was aware of the issue with the old ones and 31-33-6-852-223 will be the updated part.

I got the new parts today, the part number does not have an index. It seems to be a higher quality part than the originals but then again the current ones are nearly 6 years old.

IMG-5642.jpg

ronin said:
I got the new parts today, the part number does not have an index. It seems to be a higher quality part than the originals but then again the current ones are nearly 6 years old.

IMG-5642.jpg

Made in India. I hope they've improved the part. I think that last 3 on the part number might be an index. I was looking at the part number for the ac control I had recently replaced and there were at least two previous versions. The part number I have ends in 5. The previous two end in 4 and 3...

Mike

Reviving this topical discussion.

What is the consensus on BMW replacing the plastic / rubber dust cover in the shock absorbers?

My rear ones are slightly torn and are in falling 'sock' mode, exposing the steel shock dampner, not sure if my terminolgy is correct.

I understand that it is normal wear and tear on 5 -year old car, but I have a month of warranty left (till end of the year 2020) on this used car purchase from the local dealership.

How should I tackle it to get it replaced by the dealer?

Understand that the labor is work but the part itself is only a few dollars, unless you have to replace the entire rear shocks, which seems stupid.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

How should I tackle it to get it replaced by the dealer?

Just ask them. When I noticed my front ones were split a few months before the end of my warranty, I just showed them to my BMW Dealer service advisor, and they replaced them.

It's definately covered under approved BMW warranty. I claimed on my wife's i3 REx at under 3 years old. The covers aren't particularly robust, so expect 2 years out of them maximum.

Double check the foam bump stop inside hasn't disintegrated. If it has you'll see it's dropped down from the top mount bearing. I did this job a few weeks back. You'll see my post about the top mount bearing too. It's worth checking this with the strut pulled back, as the bearing needs to come off to replace the dust cover. If the bearing has any sign of friction, then replace, as if this siezes, it stresses the coil spring and you're likely to get a break down the line.

https://ibb.co/tBnCTZr
https://ibb.co/f00ssqr

Dealership is fighting me on it. Calling it wear and tear, not covered under warranty.

Very frustrating. I am not giving up yet. Made an appointment to go see the service manager on Monday.

Somewhat frustrating to see a brand ignorant to such a small task for a flagship product.

Got mine done using motorcycle fork protector as suggested. Total cost = $20 and I think it serves the purpose to prolong the strut's life. I zip tied at the bottom instead of the top to allow the strut bumper to move up and down freely to minimize noise. You do not need to take off the tires. Just turn them all the way to the left / right for easy access. Go check the condition of your dust covers.

p2ucGnO.jpeg

Techturbo said:
Got mine done using motorcycle fork protector as suggested. Total cost = $20 and I think it serves the purpose to prolong the strut's life. I zip tied at the bottom instead of the top to allow the strut bumper to move up and down freely to minimize noise. You do not need to take off the tires. Just turn them all the way to the left / right for easy access. Go check the condition of your dust covers.

p2ucGnO.jpeg

Is that the 24 cm 43-48mm cover?
I'm looking at doing exactly the same as it seems the OEM choice of materials is poor, our 2019 has two gone in the front.?, so newer parts no better.
I'm thinking of leaving a little of the top of the old one on like a hat for a bit of extra protection, that bit I can always cut off later.

Joe

Watch the coil spring. Looks like nick out of the top of it, around 2 inches from the end cap. Add in road salt and freezing temperatures given it’s winter.

Back