replacing windshield -- any BMW service needed after replacement?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbt12

so....i need to replace the windshield on my 2017 BMW i3/REx with Parking Assist & Technology Package. Safelite is doing the work and they advised me that i may need BMW Service to realign sensors that are fitted behind the upper center of the windshield. I called 2 service departments --- one said yes. The other said no.

I am confused.

Wow...i am having fun.

so.... State Farm (my insurance) will cover Safelite fully and will cover that similar amount (not full cost) of the total cost if i bring it to a BMW dealer. So, i can always bring to anyone, it just may not be fully covered.

According to the Safelite website --- https://www.safelite.com/windshield-auto-glass-technology/adas --- they can do re-calibration of the safety systems.

If Safelite cannot re-callibrate the i3 system, i can bring it to a BMW dealer, pay the bill and submit the bill to State Farm for full reimbursement.

So bloody confusing. Guess i am happy to have car insurance to complain about. I am sitting on hold as i type waiting for someone from Safelite to confirm my appointment, time required and if they can re-calibrate.

Would love to hear about other people's windshield replacement experiences with Safelite. Found one posting that was not glowing.

So...

If you bring it straight off to BMW for the glass replacement + "recalibration," State Farm will reimburse you Safelite's quoted price, and you cover the remainder?

But if you hire Safelite, and Safelite fails to complete the recalibration, State Farm will pay the additional cost BMW charges you?

eNate --- Short answer is YES.

State Farm confirmed 2 things.

1. Since the i3 has advanced driver assistance, State Farm will reimburse in full a BMW recalibration.
2. Since the i3 has advanced driver assistance, State Farm authorizes (and recommends) that i use BMW OEM windshield. The State Farm person (not my local agent) informed me that sometimes non-OEM glass will not allow all safety features to work. He also told me to look at the glass and make sure that the serial number is all numeric. If not, it may not be OEM. He assured me that since i will not have to pay the difference between generic Safelite aftermarket windshield and the BMW OEM windshield.

I will still be going to the particular Safelite Redwood City shop (appointment is Feb 24th) today or tuesday to make sure they ordered the correct glass and that they can recalibrate stuff. Plus i want to find out how long the work will take. Feels like 4-6 hours.

Lastly, i need to get an estimate wait time before i re-attach my dash cam to the windshield.

Guess i am happy to be able to own a car with insurance AND complain about. I have spend 3 hours on the phone today talking to various folks -- State Farm, Lynx (State Farms sub-contracted window/glass repair coordinator, BMW service and Safelite call center (cant talk to the shop directly unless i go visit in person).

Update #2

Safelite CANNOT re-calibrate all of the safety features in my i3/REx. They use a tablet that hooks into the OBD port. The VIN search and the basic BMW i3 search did not produce any results.

I just confirmed with Lynx (State Farms sub-contracted glass repair paperwork folks) that i can use Safelite (adhere's to State Farm pricing policy --- cheaper than BMW) to replace the glass and then bring it to BMW for calibration. I get to pay for the calibration and then submit receipt for reimbursement.

Be aware, that replacing a windshield -- with or without calibration -- is an all day job. Safelite will finish today but all the electrical connections and such takes quite awhile. My old 2002 Mini Cooper S windshield replacement too less than 2 hours at my office parking lot. Times, and technology sure have changed over 15 years.

I will continue to update this thread until i get the car back from BMW calibration. I pray that SF BMW will not muck things up......

In most modern cars, the windshield is actually structural. But, given the way the i3's frame is made, using 'normal' techniques to remove the old one can damage the frame. If the shop has replaced others, they're probably okay. I would not want to be their first.

Ugh...thanx for reminding me. :eek:

I believe that i am one of the first (if not the first) to have an i3 windshield replaced at the Safelite-Redwood City location. Say prayers for me please. Let's hope my evening post will be a happy one.

Ok. Picked up the car yesterday and spoke with the lead tech assigned to replacing my windshield. He claims that they have done a lot of BMW's (including) i3's at the Redwood City location. Looks like new and the edges look clean. BMW logo on the glass near VIN. No car washes (i use spray bottle less-water cleaner) for 2 days. My dashcam re-install should wait the same time.

Total was $1094.24. My deductible is $500.

I now await my BMW re-alignment on Thursday. They claim that they need the car all day. We will find out when i drop it off @ 8am.

Stay tune.

BMW SF called me back and let me know that re-calibration is about a half-day exercise. About $250. We will find out.

8am arrived @ SF BMW and car ready by 12 noon. $225. Now i make a claim to State Farm. End of my adventure. Bit more involved than my 2002 Mini Cooper S.

At least with BMW glass you can be assured it's passed some QC inspections. I got a windshield replaced on a Subaru years back and it was generic glass. At about the midpoint it resembled a fun house mirror looking through it. Thankfully the business that did the work agreed and replaced it with no fuss. But imagine putting something like that in front of your camera's lens! Especially if you have Traffic Jam Assist enabled.

Back