Question about 20 inch rims on i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symonray

I am thinking about selling my 2016 i3 Rex and purchasing a 2017 i3 Rex with the larger battery pack. The 2017 I am considering has the 20 inch rims. My understanding is that Bridgestone only offers a summer season tire for the 20 inch rims. My question is whether those tires would be adequate/safe for year round driving in my area (northern Tennessee) where we have cold temperatures in the winter (lows often in the 20's and 30's but seldom colder than that) with minimal snow/ice. Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.

If you'll buy the 2017 before selling your 2016, I'd switch the wheels so your 2017 has 19" wheels and all-season tires. The traction of summer tires supposedly decreases below 40º, so I wouldn't want to drive on summer tires even in a location with relatively mild winters.

I second ALOHART's suggestion. I would LOVE to have a basically no cost option like that to switch my 20's for 19's! Not only for the choice of having all season tires, but also for the better ride that the taller sidewall on the 19's give you. The 20's "thwack" pretty good on bumps and cracks in the road.

Having said that, I have the 20's with the summer tires and I had no issues driving it this winter in 20 and 30 degree temps. However, if the roads were icy or snowy I left it parked and drove my 4x4 truck.

symonray said:
I am thinking about selling my 2016 i3 Rex and purchasing a 2017 i3 Rex with the larger battery pack. The 2017 I am considering has the 20 inch rims. My understanding is that Bridgestone only offers a summer season tire for the 20 inch rims. My question is whether those tires would be adequate/safe for year round driving in my area (northern Tennessee) where we have cold temperatures in the winter (lows often in the 20's and 30's but seldom colder than that) with minimal snow/ice. Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.

I've used Summer tires up until the first winter precipitation was forecast before, and you really do lose a lot of traction in cold temps. One year I figured a light snow wasn't such a big deal, and I found my old G35 couldn't get up the driveway that I had assumed for years was level. Summer tires aren't intended to be used in temps below 40F. If you try to push thru a whole winter, there will be days you either need to stay home, arrange alternate transportation, or risk being immobilized or wrecked.

Well, my delimna has been solved. The 2017 I am interested in purchasing has the turbine alloy wheels. The item description for the vehicle incorrectly stated that they are 20 inch wheels, but I confirmed they are 19 inch wheels by visual inspection. So, no problem now. Thanks.

Wish we lived in the same area. I'd try to swap my 20's for your 19's before you sell the 2016...

Back