Yellow Engine Light and Code FFC895 Permanent Error for "EME"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nashvegasr

Had my 2015 i3 REX into the dealer two weeks ago for a checkup and was getting intermittent check engine (yellow) lamp when driving. Noticed when I dropped it off at the dealer, the check engine light was not on (of course).

They did the oil chg and fixed up my ripped front suspension boots, but couldn't find any stored codes or problems causing the yellow check engine lamp.

The yellow engine lamp is now back on 100% of the time, I checked it with my code reader - it's FFC895 "Range Extender Electrical Machine Electronics" - permanent error -- and I can't clear it.

Obvs will take it back to the dealer who is great, but out of curiosity - does anyone know what this is?

The Range "Extender Electrical Machine" is the electricity generator that the Range Extender gas engine spins, to generates electricity to feed to the HV battery for 'extending' the driving range.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i01-i3-rex-hat/components-connectors/components/components-with-m/m261-range-extender-electrical-machine/1VnY1vVxNw

Sounds like the fault is in the ECM that controls it. I know the i3's can be touchy about any moisture getting into cable connections. Does the REx run? If it does, you might try letting it run for 20 minutes or so, to warm up and dry out any moisture, and see if that makes any difference. The HV battery will need to be below 75% charge, and there is a procedure for starting the REx for emissions testing if you look online.

Hi there, the REX does run properly, that's a very informative link, thank you. It could very well be moisture -- as the car has been parked outside in my driveway in the Pacific NW here and it does rain a good amount.

Anyway it's back at the dealer getting checked out now. Will report back.

Back