What's your favorite coding change?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeS said:
But if you disabled it would it not reduce the range!?
Yes, it would. It would also accelerate brake pad and disc wear.

Driving in Eco Pro or Eco Pro+ mode with gradual deceleration (i.e., no sudden release of the accelerator pedal) should result in driving that feels no different from driving an ICE vehicle. The easiest way to do this is to learn to drive using only the accelerator pedal to accelerate and decelerate pressing the brake pedal only when releasing the accelerator pedal completely is insufficient to decelerate rapidly enough.

If you have Adaptive Cruise Control, you could use it to allow your car to accelerate and decelerate itself which is quite smooth, especially in Eco Pro or Eco Pro+ mode. I probably spend 95% of my driving time without my foot touching any pedal.

I like the brake force flashing mod but it pops up an annoying message on the display when used. Small price to pay to keep grandma from ramming me but the guy who did my coding mentioned if we can get a hold of a set of the European i3 CAFD files he could compare them to mine and see what the issue might be.

He will also look at the auto driving under 25mph 'self driving' but it seems general consensus that there might be a lot more to that than coding.

Will any friendly Europeans share?

Has anyone been able to disable the audible chirp when locking/unlocking? I set the appropriate string in the available user guides to nicht aktiv, but it still beeps as loud as ever.

As I understand it, it's illegal in Germany for the car to chirp when you lock/unlock, but in the USA, where the average driver is less involved, and the housing density may not be as high, people seem to like it. Personally, I think it is quite rude in many situations, and always disable it. As said, it's easy to do from the I-drive menu, at least on the USA version. It may not even show up on a car destined for Germany.

I never understood why cars have to chirp or even beep horns when you lock/unlock them. Flashlights should be sufficient. It's a solution looking for a problem.

psquare said:
I never understood why cars have to chirp or even beep horns when you lock/unlock them. Flashlights should be sufficient. It's a solution looking for a problem.
Some people are too lazy to see if they actually hit the lock button and need that (annoying) confirmation! Personally, I can hear the things locking without the beep, and flashing the lights gives a secondary confirmation as well. I live in a row of townhouses, and the parking area is sort of like a canyon...someone getting home late at night, or coming in early in the morning...it can be loud enough to wake someone up!

jadnashuanh said:
As I understand it, it's illegal in Germany for the car to chirp when you lock/unlock, but in the USA, where the average driver is less involved, and the housing density may not be as high, people seem to like it. Personally, I think it is quite rude in many situations, and always disable it.
I agree totally! I've been walking on a sidewalk when a car parked beside me suddenly honked loudly which can be startling. Totally unnecessary! I wonder whether most cars are delivered with chirping or honking on by default since so many cars in the U.S. seem to do so.

It seems that it's on by default on most cars. Quite awhile ago, they passed a law in the USA that prohibited an alarm from running continuously...maybe we should try to get the stupid beep/honk turned off by default!

One of the new coding changes I took advantage of when introduced by Code My Car (whom I'd recommend), is that the interior warning sound effects (what some call "bongs and glongs") can be changed in the i3, from the rather insipid non-BMW sounding "bionks" that we now get, to either standard BMW warning "glongs" , Mini Cooper, or (what I think is neat), BMW owned Rolls-Royce warning sounds.

I had mine changed from i3 to Rolls-Royce. I figure it's the closest to driving a Royce I'll ever come. As you'd expect, the sounds are quite elegant; they sound like stringed instruments being strummed. I liken the most common "door open" sound to a lute being plucked. I did, however, have the seat belt warning sound disabled. A small and perhaps insignificant change, but one I like.

I also have the folding mirrors, start-up in EcoPro mode, UK navigation voice (why not, got the "Rolls-Royce" thing going on!), Key fob button opens the rear hatch instead of the "frunk", BMW Office enabled, unlock door with car off, taillights as DRL's, AM radio enabled, AC buttons remember last mode, full capacity of the fuel tank, and a bunch more. The latest coding updates that his company offers is dated 10/6/15.

I cant figure it out this Auto Start/Stop OFF.
Still the car will shutdown as soon you open the driver door. Leaving my wife and kids very uncomfortable.

Someone suggested, press and holding the brakes while opening the door will stay on. Its not true, brake released the god damn off will notify you

The car WILL NOT stay on in the READY mode if you open the driver's door and do not have your seatbelt on. But, if you want to maintain the cabin conditioning, you can easily check the box that comes up on the idrive menu, and it will stay on for about 20-minutes. They can listen to the radio, and if it times out, all they have to do is hit the radio volume control knob, and it will come back on for another 10--minutes or so. That menu comes on nearly immediately once you hit the start/stop button, but will go off if you hit it the second time from the READY state.

How do I code the "Electronics off with door open" thing?

I've made a ton of changes to my car and love every single one but can't seem to find the one that turns the car off when I open the door. I would like to be able to open and close the door and not have anything happen like in a normal car.

How do I do this?

FWIW, most BMWs don't actually shut down everything when you open or close the door UNLESS you lock it. Most seem to have some things stay on for about 10-minutes.

There might be a variable that can be set (coding on a BMW is sort of a misnomer...you aren't changing the code per se, but changing the parameter the code works with), but I've not found it.

Hi,
I want to replace the legal disclaimer with the BMWi animation when I turn the car on.
Have the BimmerCode app and have used it to do other coding.
Any one have the step by step how to do this?
Thx in advance.
2017 BMW i3 REX

DWGEC said:
Hi,
I want to replace the legal disclaimer with the BMWi animation when I turn the car on.

I haven't looked at this in more than a year, but you might try the adjust the navigation "HU_NBT" module (Head Unit_Next Big Thing).

Disable legal disclaimers on navigation screen
3001 > LEGAL_DISCLAIMER_TIME
3001 > MACRO_CAM_LEGALDISCLAIMER
3001 > MACRO_NIVICAM_LDISCLAIMER

Here's my sheet of dusty i3 coding settings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tb3zoPwRxkJ5bpZBwfnUKsOnue39MF4kCA6KsBs8hCo/edit#gid=0

Definitely having the "REX" kick in at any point below 75% SOC, such a cool feature. Also using the full "Fuel Tank" option. I mean a half a gallon of gas isn't that much, but on an i3 it's almost 20 extra miles just incase you need it. :geek:

Geodude said:
Definitely having the "REX" kick in at any point below 75% SOC, such a cool feature. Also using the full "Fuel Tank" option. I mean a half a gallon of gas isn't that much, but on an i3 it's almost 20 extra miles just incase you need it. :geek:

same here. these are my favorite "mods"

HSC and mirrors fold when locked. Folded mirrors are a visual clue to the fact that it did lock.

Back