Can't decide on buying the i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What benefits? I'm all for driving something that emits less pollution if that's what you're referring to, unless it's something else.

"The math" seldom, if ever, makes sense. There's an old saying: "The cheapest car you can own is the one you already have", and while it isn't 100% accurate, it's definitely right most of the time. If you're looking for the best economics, then absolutely, keep the Buick.

Most of us, however, buy a new car for non-economic reasons. We're tired of the current car. We want something shiny and new. Or at least different. So once we have made up our minds that the old must go and the new must be bought, then we factor in things like EV vs ICE, etc. For many of us, vehicle purchases are emotional, rather than economical, driven.

If you're looking for the best economics, keep the Buick. If you REALLY WANT a new car (and IF you can afford it), then dump the Buick and move on...

BigKetchup said:
What benefits? I'm all for driving something that emits less pollution if that's what you're referring to, unless it's something else.

Sure, less pollution can be a benefit, depending on where your electricity comes from but that's not really what I was referring to. I was referring to things like max torque at all speeds, almost zero maintenance (a bit for the REX), silent engine, "refueling" in your garage. Those kinds of things. Disadvantages of course, taking a long trip would suck. Less so in a REX, but even then you're stopping to fuel up every hour or so. Other things like one-pedal driving are purely opinion but it seems like most people quickly get used to it and really like it. I'm still getting used to it and I'm a bit on the fence, but overall I'd give it a thumbs up.

When you first start driving an EV you notice how quiet it is, but quickly get used to it. It's not until you've driven one, gotten used to no engine sounds, then drive an ICE car that you realize just how loud and somewhat annoying engines can be. Before you judge me for being a tree hugging hippie "sound pollution police" type, know that I have a classic Corvette, crazy modified turbo swapped classic Celica and a V8 Grand Cherokee. I love the sound of a rumbling V8 and the hiss of a blow-off valve when shifting gears under boost. Fun weekend cars for sure, but if I'm commuting 45 minutes each way (which I was and will again when the corona thing calms down), I want the quiet of an EV.

There are probably other advantages that I'm not thinking of or that other see as pluses that I couldn't care less about, but those are my biggies.

edit: One more thing I thought of but I haven't experienced yet, preconditioning. You can set a schedule such that when it's time to leave your car is all warmed up, or cooled down, and ready for you. You can kinda do that with an ICE vehicle, just hit remote start and let it sit for a few minutes, but this is a bit different. For one, you can do it in your garage without risking carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, it can be scheduled. Not only will the inside cabin be nice and comfortable, it also gets the battery pack to optimal temps to maximize battery range. You do need to be plugged in, and I believe it needs to be a level 2 or DC fast charger. I'm making a big assumption that the i3 isn't the only EV with this feature and that no ICE vehicles can do it (risk of carbon monoxide poisoning makes me think no car manufacturer would risk this in an ICE vehicle).

There are probably other advantages that I'm not thinking of.

One 'advantage' I found, is just the solid, nimble drive-feel. When I had mine in for replacing the ubiquitous torn front suspension dust covers, they gave me an x3 as a loaner. OMG it was like riding around on an overweight drunken hippo compared to my i3 :mrgreen:

i3Alan said:
I trust the i3 battery dependability. However, my 5 year old i3 with about 35K miles had an AC failure that came with a greater than $22K repair quote. Perhaps rare, but neither BMW or my dealer would take any responsibility for such an outrageous and catastrophic failure for a car less than one year out of warranty. I have also heard of a transmission failure (in a car with one fixed ratio reduction gear) that was over $7000. There have been numerous reports of minor rear-end "taps" that shatter the rear all-glass tail gate with over $4000 repair bills.

I will be the first to tell you my i3 was one of the most fun cars I have ever owned, with so many wonderful and unique aspects that it is very easy to praise this car. The few minor quirks (like a pathetic horn and terrible sun visors) are truly easy to ignore. This car well deserves most of the great praise it gets from owners. However, no car should have such insanely high repair costs for so many things. Given that BMW would not stand behind my i3 when I asked for reasonable compensation (about $8000 due to loss in book value after AC failure which was due entirely to bad design), I am afraid I could never bring myself to own another BMW product.

Adding a 500Hz PIAA horn in parallel to the factory horn is a $55 affair from Amazon, and installation isn't that difficult at all. The end result will be a full "standard BMW horn tone". I see most issues online happen with REx models. So the BEV's are probably a better buy in the long run. My only issue was a trim piece separation and head unit shutting down - both replaced under warranty.

Just a slight correction to the post about preconditioning. Preconditioning only happens when the car is plugged in and preconditioning is scheduled. In addition to warming or cooling the cabin to a comfortable temperature, preconditioning warms or cools the battery to give you a bit better range once you unplug

You can climatize the cabin at any time using the BMW connected app or, if you have coded it, your key fob. The car does not have to be plugged in for climatization which cools or heats the cabin for you but does not precondition the battery.

Preconditioning and climatization are features that I didn't think about when shopping for a car, but have grown to really like. Especially here in Florida, it is nice to be able to get into a comfortable car rather than a sauna.

The i3 bev is a blast to drive around town. We bought our 2016 from BMW the a 4 year warranty. For reference, our 2015 Tesla P85D only comes out for my commute to work because the i3 is just more fun around town. If you have a second car, or you never leave your local area, the i3 (used) is a great option. No maintenance issues with the i3 after 18 months and about 9k miles.

Instead of buying maybe leasing could be an option depending on where you live with federal and state EV incentives. I snared a brand new lease earlier today for $160/month with $1,384 drive-off including the first month's payment. 36 month lease 10k miles a year. Sticker on the car was $53,695.

My incentives totalled $13,650 in addition to a 10% discount on MSRP.

Back