2017 i3 - voice command not working

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are a 2 EV household. I have a 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric and I just bought a 2017 BMW i3 BEV with 22k miles for the wife..
I worked my way through the settings and online owners manual and I can't figure out why the voice commands are not working on my wife's I3. When I push the voice button, nothing happens.. If I hold it for 2 seconds, it opens up google voice on my phone and I can issue a voice command. However, the voice command only affects my phone.. Can't control anything on the car with it.. Is there some kind of setting or is voice input an option that our i3 doesn't have??

Any help would be appreciated..

Being a 2017 w/22k on the clock I'm assuming there is a year, give or take, left of the factory warranty. I honestly don't know if something like that is covered, but if you can't figure it out I'd just take it to a BMW dealer and have them look. Even if it's as simple as "you're doing it wrong, change this setting" or "it's working fine, you just have the volume for voice command turned all the way down" they should be able to help.

Oh, and since the button is working, have you tried the volume? How about hitting the button, waiting a few seconds then giving a command like "navigate to xyz" to see if it's working but just doesn't have sound?

Your voice command may not be enabled.
Depending on the country you live in, and the Navigationsystem you have, it may or may not be in your configuration.
I believe in Germany you had to have the "Comfort package" and or the "enhanced bluetooth" in your config for the voice commands to work.
Where do you live?

I think that I figured it out.. I'm in the USA and it appears that the voice commands are only enabled with the technology package which includes the bigger screen.. Being the base model, it does not have the tech package.. So, the easiest way to navigate is to use the BMW connected app and send the address to the car, then go to the inbox and navigate to the address..

Back