Can you set a default drive mode on the i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are a dual EV family.. I have a 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric and just bought a 2017 BMW i3 94ah for the wife's birthday.. On my Kona, I can set a default drive mode and the car and even choose what level of regeneration I want..
My wife's i3 has 3 drive modes, Comfort, Eco Pro and Eco Pro+. Now, every time that we start the car, it starts in Comfort mode. Is there a way to make it start in Eco Pro mode??

Yep, but not with a standard iDrive command. The easiest way to make such changes would be to license the BimmerCode smartphone app (~$30) and buy an OBD to WiFi or Bluetooth dongle that allows BimmerCode to communicate with an i3's electronic modules via its OBD data port (several approved dongles are listed here).

BimmerCode can change the values of parameters that BMW uses to implement market-specific behaviors. Beside changing the default driving mode to Eco Pro, I have done the following:

• disable Initial warning gongs after start
• disable seat belt reminders
• disable nav system legal disclaimers
• automatically fold side mirrors when doors are locked
• automatically unfold side mirrors when speed exceeds 5 km/h
• Illuminate door handle LED's when reversing
• turn on brake force flashing with hard braking
• set temporary blinker count to 5
• set default ACC following distance to minimum
• enable AM radio
• add temperature to tire inflation pressure display
• sync clock to GPS clock
• set A/C mode and circulation on startup to previous settings

alohart said:
Yep, but not with a standard iDrive command. The easiest way to make such changes would be to license the BimmerCode smartphone app (~$30) and buy an OBD to WiFi or Bluetooth dongle that allows BimmerCode to communicate with an i3's electronic modules via its OBD data port (several approved dongles are listed here).

BimmerCode can change the values of parameters that BMW uses to implement market-specific behaviors. Beside changing the default driving mode to Eco Pro, I have done the following:

• disable Initial warning gongs after start
• disable seat belt reminders
• disable nav system legal disclaimers
• automatically fold side mirrors when doors are locked
• Illuminate door handle LED's when reversing
• set default ACC following distance to minimum
• enable AM radio
• add temperature to tire inflation pressure display
• set A/C mode and circulation on startup to previous settings

Thanks!! I already have an OBD2 reader.. Not sure if it can update values with the right software..

CapparisWhite2017 said:
I already have an OBD2 reader.. Not sure if it can update values with the right software..
If your OBD2 reader broadcasts its information to a smartphone app using WiFi or Bluetooth, it's worth a try.

I'd be surprised if a typical OBD reader could tweak the 'programming' parameters of a BMW...that's available in the Bimmercode app, and some stand-alone apps.

Now, an OBD-II reader that understands the BMW extensions, might be able to do some of this, but the easiest way is the specific app. It will run on both android or iOS.

You can download it and play around with it in demo mode, but it won't talk to the car unless you buy the license for it.

alohart said:
CapparisWhite2017 said:
I already have an OBD2 reader.. Not sure if it can update values with the right software..
If your OBD2 reader broadcasts its information to a smartphone app using WiFi or Bluetooth, it's worth a try.

It's a bluetooth OBD2 reader.. However, it's not on the list of compatible devices.. I currently use that reader for the Torque Pro app which I use with the Kona Electric..

CapparisWhite2017 said:
It's a bluetooth OBD2 reader.. However, it's not on the list of compatible devices.. I currently use that reader for the Torque Pro app which I use with the Kona Electric..
The OBD WiFi dongle that I have is not on the current supported list but was a couple of years ago. It still works fine.

A problem with some OBD dongles is that they are slow to respond causing time-outs that prevent changes being saved. If I were you, I'd give your OBD Bluetooth dongle a try with BimmerCode.

alohart said:

Have the same setup as you with Bimmercode. I didn’t see these options in my 2015 REx. Do you recall if any were advanced settings? I didn’t mess with that area.

BL5 said:
Have the same setup as you with Bimmercode. I didn’t see these options in my 2015 REx. Do you recall if any were advanced settings? I didn’t mess with that area.
Some were advanced settings. I made all of the following changes a couple of years ago. Different BimmerCode versions have offered different simple settings, so some of the simple settings that I used might no longer be available.

I don't know whether GPS synchronization is working or whether both or any changes that I made are necessary. Our time zone doesn't ever switch to and from daylight saving time, so there are no 1-hour changes that would be obvious. I haven't noticed the clock time drifting, so I think it must be synchronized to the GPS or maybe the cellular data network. Some have surmised that clock synchronization has been implemented after a certain system software version or maybe only in certain markets.

BDC Body Module:

Simple: Mirror unfolding speed threshold: set to 5 km/h
Advanced: Change Mirror Un-Fold Automatically at XX Speed (Binary value in werte)
3110->ASP_GESCHWINDIGKEIT_AUTO_AUSKLAPPEN: werte 05 (5 km/h)

Advanced: Turn on Brake Force Flashing with Hard Braking
3068->ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG: set to bremsclicht blinkend

Advanced: Change Blink Count to 5 (Works only until iDrive blink count setting is changed)
3069->PIA_DEFAULT_TIPPBLINKEN: werte 02 (Tippblinken_fuenfmal)

HU NBT Module:

Advanced: Enable GPS-Sync for Clock to Instrument Cluster
3000 -> SETTINGS_TIME_AUTOMATIC: set to navigation

KOMBI Module:

Simple: GPS clock synchronization: set to aktiv
Advanced: Enable GPS-Sync for Clock to Instrument Cluster
3000->GPS_UHR: set to aktiv

alohart said:
BDC Body Module:

Advanced: Change Blink Count to 5 (Works only until iDrive blink count setting is changed)
3069->PIA_DEFAULT_TIPPBLINKEN: werte 02 (Tippblinken_fuenfmal)
This change does nothing on our 2019 i3. I've seen a coding spreadsheet that claims that the PIA_DEFAULT_TIPPBLINKEN parameter has been moved to the Headunit. However, I searched all Headunit sections in Expert mode and did not find the PIA_DEFAULT_TIPPBLINKEN parameter.

If you know how to change the blink count to 5 in a 2019 i3, please post the instructions.

Back