Warranty Showdown - CPO vs. Carvana vs. Carbiz

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmondi3

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at the i3 for a long time and finally looking to bite the bullet.

I'm looking at a few different 2014 i3s, all loaded, with roughly similar miles. I need to have the vehicle shipped to me because there are not many options in my area. All of them come with warranties.

1) Carbiz: The cheapest one is at Carbiz with free shipping.
Warranty: 1-year/12,000 mile powertrain coverage 5-Day return policy

2) Carvana: The one from Carvana is about $700 more expensive (including shipping).
Warranty: 100 day/4,189 mile “Worry Free Guarantee,” and a 7-Day Money Back Guarantee

3) Dealer/CPO: The CPO one from a dealer is at least $950 more expensive (assuming they include shipping) than option 1), but there's probably more hidden fees somewhere.
Warranty: CPO on a 2014

Do people feel that the CPO is really worth paying extra on? I'd guess it's about $1200 more than option 1 with all the hidden fees.
I've heard there's so many loopholes, etc. to the CPO (or any warranty for that matter) that it may not even be worth it. Therefore might be best to save as much money as possible in case of a non-covered issue.

Thanks!

You missed one. The Carmax extended warranty/service plan (can be added when you purchase one of their cars), from reviews by other i3 owners, is the best around. Comprehensive coverage, all work done at BMW dealer, and paid for by Carmax, no question.

The carvana one should have a couple extended warranty options up to probably 4 years/100k miles for a 2014. I don't know how all the warranties compare to each other - I went CPO for my 2017 (almost 2 years left), but a 4 or 5 year warranty through Carvana sounds better.

Thanks for the responses. I'll have a look at Carmax, good call.

I just wasn't sure if there was a really strong reason to go with a CPO warranty and pay up for the car. I've seen a few mixed opinions on the forum and wasn't sure if there was a really compelling reason to pay more. Obviously the criteria for CPO is strict, theoretically, so you're more likely to get a good one.

desmondi3 said:
Thanks for the responses. I'll have a look at Carmax, good call.

I just wasn't sure if there was a really strong reason to go with a CPO warranty and pay up for the car. I've seen a few mixed opinions on the forum and wasn't sure if there was a really compelling reason to pay more. Obviously the criteria for CPO is strict, theoretically, so you're more likely to get a good one.

That's why I went CPO. They are very strict on what cars qualify, and if you believe the hype they check everything. I've also heard the manufacturer warranty is better, plus you will not be stuck playing middle man between a mechanic and the warranty company, just take your car to BMW. However, good luck finding a 2014 with CPO, and if you do it's only going to be 1 year vs. possibly more for other options.

You have to read the fine print on the warranties.. The things to worry about on an i3 are batteries, charger, water pump, aircon, heater, REx and electric stuff. The power train will probably not be much of a problem.

Make sure the warranty covers the cost of the above and make sure there are no deductibles. Also, some warranties are capped at a specific amount per 6 months to a year ($2500 per year in repairs).
Also, you must maintain regular maintenance on the car which most warranties do not cover such as break pads, break fluid, oil changes for the REx etc..

Aircon repairs on an i3 are super expensive and if the aircon goes bad, the car can not cool down the battery when the charger is changing the battery. Without aircon cooling the battery, your i3 is at risk of exploding.

As of June the 11th 2020, there is a sweet 2015 i3 that is CPO for $14900 at Palm Springs BMW. Brown leather interior, 20 inch wheels, exterior color is white/blk.
Business nav, no adaptive cruise. 38k miles.

Valleeboi02 said:
Without aircon cooling the battery, your i3 is at risk of exploding.
Um, no! As the battery cell temperature increases, the output power of the cell is reduced by the battery management system to prevent a further temperature increase. i3 drivers in very hot climates have noticed that full output power isn't available when the battery pack is hot after having been parked when the battery cooling system isn't functioning. So explosion isn't a risk.

alohart said:
Valleeboi02 said:
Without aircon cooling the battery, your i3 is at risk of exploding.
Um, no! As the battery cell temperature increases, the output power of the cell is reduced by the battery management system to prevent a further temperature increase. i3 drivers in very hot climates have noticed that full output power isn't available when the battery pack is hot after having been parked when the battery cooling system isn't functioning. So explosion isn't a risk.

Right on this point. I was "hotroding" around in Phoenix area in 113 degree weather, and the BMS stopped me and made me putter around like an old grandma (no offence grandma, I love you!). :D

Back